Who do you think will win the 2008 World Series

• Philadelphia Phillies

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Tampa Bay Rays

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I can't stand the Taco Bell thing. I was watching game 7 of the ALCS and they kept running a taco bell banner across the bottom of the screen telling all about this great deal.

Who gives a fuck? Whoo Hooo! I just got me a free 0.89 taco. Life is now worth living!
A-farking-men.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Longoria should have let that ball go. Looked like it was going foul.
That's a tough call to make...everything was on the line, or rather on the fair side of the line, it was do or die and he went for it. He certainly didn't have a good throwing lane to home plate.

I think that it's interesting that there were two plays so similar in the game; the one that Moyer made earlier in the game, the one that the umpire blew, and the one that ended the game.

If Longoria lets that ball go and it stays fair, well..there would probably be a lot of second guessing as well. He tried to control destiny when the game was in the balance. A tough call...

That said, it's still early and this thing is probably going back to Tampa Bay.

Rough night for Longoria...he should have had a two-run homer if not for the wind.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
That's a tough call to make...everything was on the line, or rather on the fair side of the line, it was do or die and he went for it. He certainly didn't have a good throwing lane to home plate.
I totally agree, and there's no way you can blame Longoria for what he did. But looking at the replay, it did look like the ball might have rolled foul. I love Maddon as a manger, he makes things interesting. McCarver said he couldn't remember another World Series game where there were 5 infielders, and I'd wonder if that is the case. Interesting bottom half of the 9th last night (this morning, actually).

And you mentioned that Moyer play down the 1st base line early in the game. Wow, what a play! Made better by the fact that Moyer is 45 years old. Too bad the ump missed the call.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Bottom of the 1st...man, I hate to agree with Joe Buck, but the umps have been terrible so far this series. How do you miss that tag on Rollins? The ump is RIGHT there in front of the play, Longoria CLEARLY tagged him.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
It would be cool to see the series go back to Tampa. I have to root for the Rays tonight.

Darn! Phils already up by two runs going to the 3rd.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Rain Delay: 2-2 bottom of the 6th.

If the Phillies had the lead, they could have possibly won the game and World Series via it being rain shortened? :confused:
EDIT: The commish said he would not have allowed that to happen.

EDIT: Tonights game is suspended. I am a baseball purest but if I was building a new stadium, I would include a retractable roof. I have been to games through rain delays, games being cancelled etc. Not too fun.

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
It's the damn East Coast!!!!
It's a very comfortable 60 degrees at 9:30 PM here in the Bay Area.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
Rain Delay: 2-2 bottom of the 6th.

If the Phillies had the lead, they could have possibly won the game and World Series via it being rain shortened? :confused:
EDIT: The commish said he would not have allowed that to happen.

EDIT: Tonights game is suspended. I am a baseball purest but if I was building a new stadium, I would include a retractable roof. I have been to games through rain delays, games being cancelled etc. Not too fun.
I was really worried about having the Series decided on a rain shortened game. Good for Selig. That should never happen in the playoffs. Baseball didn't do something foolish for once. That would have really pissed me off to see the Series end like that, especially with my Colts getting smacked around tonight as well.:mad:

Brian

Banned
Oct 12, 2008
I was really worried about having the Series decided on a rain shortened game. Good for Selig. That should never happen in the playoffs. Baseball didn't do something foolish for once. That would have really pissed me off to see the Series end like that, especially with my Colts getting smacked around tonight as well.:mad:
You think YOU would have been pissed off?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think the umpires figured it would have been called official. I think thats why they didn't stop play until the game was tied.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
I think the umpires figured it would have been called official. I think thats why they didn't stop play until the game was tied.
Apparently Selig had discussed that with the management types of both teams....however, Pena said he wasn't aware of that during the game, so I don't know if the umps were aware either.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Apparently Selig had discussed that with the management types of both teams....however, Pena said he wasn't aware of that during the game, so I don't know if the umps were aware either.

Its all well and good that Selig can run around making decrees, but they need to put a clause in the rule book stating that any tiebreaker, playoff, or world series game cannot be made official until at least 9 innings are played (8.5 if the home team is leading going into the bottom of the nineth). I may even include games in September between contending (not mathematically eliminated) teams.