2009 MLB Season Thread

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Rockies had another first today, in that they not only swept the Reds in 4 games, but swept the season series from the Reds 7 games to 0. And is now 4 1/2 up for the wild card, and two games behind the Dodgers for the division.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I bet you're hoping the Giants sweep the Dodgers this weekend.

Who knows? Maybe the Dodgers will collapse and both the Rockies and the Giants will gain a playoff bid?

What the Rockies have at the moment is home field magic.

Again...I don't see how in the world they ever lose....I really don't.

It was fun watching the Dodgers walk the winning run in last night. The Mattingly curse strikes.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
As long as the Rockies keep winning, I think at least winning the series would be favorable for the Giants. Make it a two-team race going into the last 20 or so games of the season. On the other hand, even if the Giants did sweep, it would move the Dodgers and Giants into a fight for the wild card spot, provided the Rockies didn't lay an egg in that same time frame. Maybe the Giants can beat them down enough to make them weaker for the last series of the year when the Rockies are in L.A.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Tejada grounded into three more double plays last night, which brings his total up to 27 for the year. If he sets his mind to it, he can break the NL record of 32 GIDP (a record he set himself last year!).

Why didn't they trade him at the trade deadline?!? Boston would have given up a lot for him I'm sure.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
He played for Oakland. That's who you're thinking of.
Posted via Mobile Device

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The Rockies are 2 games behind LA and St. Louis for the NL's best record..........:eek:mfg:

They were 20-32 at one point and 15.5 back. This rivals the 2005 Astros who began the season 15-30 and went on to the World Series.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Giants lose tonight (they are losing now) it's essentially a two-team race between L.A. and Colorado. And the Rockies will have essentially clinched the wildcard, albeit unofficially.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Angels are losing again to Boston. They still have 7 against the Rangers. It's not looking good for them. They have a horrible record against both teams and if they don't win the division, there's a good chance they won't make the playoffs (playoffs? :shock:) :worried:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Angels are losing again to Boston. They still have 7 against the Rangers. It's not looking good for them. They have a horrible record against both teams and if they don't win the division, there's a good chance they won't make the playoffs (playoffs? :shock:) :worried:

:scratch:

The Angels are up by 6 1/2 games with 18 to play. I would say it looks good for them.

"It ain't over till it's over though". ;)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Not so fast there.

19 runs in 2 games :scared:

Zito got more run support last night than he has in the last month combined.

Yeah, I figured as soon as I said that I would be eating my words. Although the Rockies are still 3 1/2 up in the Wild card with what should be a fairly easy series against the Diamondbacks coming up. Luckily they salvaged the series and won last night to keep that lead.

On another note, the Reds will be mathematically eliminated from the race with a Rockies win or a Reds loss. And the magic number for the Rockies clinching the wild card (or division should the Dodgers lay an egg) is 13.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
If the Giants can't pass the Rockies and win the Wild Card outright, I hope they can at least catch them for a tie on the final day of the regular season. That way the Rockies would have to play the Giants in San Francisco, where the Rockies have more of a chance to lose.

It would have been cool if the Giants swept the Rockies, it would have made the race to the Wild Card a little more frenzied.

I wouldn't fall asleep on the Diamondbacks, especially when they have to play Haren on "getaway" day. That said, it will be difficult to see the Giants taking two of three from the bums, even though Penny and Lincecum will be throwing.

I might be nuts, but I still like the Giants' chance.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The Giants are going backwards, the Rockies have one two games, the Reds are out, the Cubs are imploding. Looking good for the wild-card this season. I'd like to think we can take on anyone in the majors with a healthy team playing consistently good baseball. But even the injuries haven't hurt us. I thought we were toast after Huston Street went down, but we've kept it up all this time.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I don't like to repost here, but I don't feel like changing anything, so please forgive me, I usually only discuss baseball in here to any meaningful level...

(REPOST)

After a week in which the Giants were able to trim the Rockies lead to two and a half games, the Giants have given away all that they had gained while throwing away some good opportunities to make up or at least hold their ground. By late next Sunday the verdict on this year's playoff contenders should be made crystal clear, the way things seem to be going. The Giants are not even hinting that they're good enough for the post season, yet they're still hanging in there.

With the Rockies playing their next nine at home, things won't be easy for the Giants to make up ground, although the Rockies will be playing the Brewers and the Cardinals in that mix. I expect the Cardinals to make some noise and maybe take two of three. And if the Padres and the Brewers can each just win one a piece, who knows? I think that Giants could win four of their next seven against the D'backs and the Cubs, they might even be able to sweep the Cubbies in their four games next weekend?

In any case I think I've had enough of Bochy and his bizarre line up decisions. Bochy again trotted out the outfield comedy stylings of Rowand & Winn's Laugh-In while having Schierholtz sitting his .388 versus lefty's batting average ass on the bench...I guess Bochy is "very into resting" his young talent. I don't know what the fuck Nate did to Bochy, but his reluctance to play good young talent as opposed to the over priced veterans should be enough reason to not bring him back as manager next year. The Giants should try and get Bobby Cox from retiring or just let Ron Wotus try his hand at it.

Watching the Dodgers play fundamental ball while on their way to playoffs sucks the biggest balls of all time...and I mean bigger balls that the .99 cent beach balls they throw around the stadium all game.