2010 MLB Season Thread

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
And you can't blame it on the altitude anymore (because of the humidor, mostly.) It's all about pitching and timely hitting. Tulowitski has been on fire. And it cracked me up to see the stealing home, so naturally the Reds pitcher fakes a throw to second. :spit:

Eric Byrnes (of MLB Network) seems to think they've turned the humidor off. At least that's what he claimed the other night when I was tuned in. Take it for what you will.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Eric Byrnes (of MLB Network) seems to think they've turned the humidor off. At least that's what he claimed the other night when I was tuned in. Take it for what you will.

Maybe, but they've been hitting on the road too, which NEVER happened before. I credit Don Baylor their hitting coach for that.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Maybe, but they've been hitting on the road too, which NEVER happened before. I credit Don Baylor their hitting coach for that.

I'm not sure what you consider to be hitting, but their road numbers this year are actually lower than usual.

At the moment they're batting .228 on the road. In 2009 they finished up at .238; in 2008 at .249; in 2007 at .261; in 2006 at .247.

At the moment they have 57 home runs on the road. This places them about on schedule to match their totals of 68 in 2008 and 2007, but a wee bit short of their 2006 total of 82 and way, way, way short of last year's total of 92.

Their 242 RBI totals might match their 2009 and 2008 totals of 322 and 321, but they'd really have to do extra time with Don Baylor to get to the 2006 total of 336, and they'd have to get Don Baylor to actually take some at bats to get to their 2007 total of 363.

They're under in runs scored and OPS as well. They're anywhere from 90 runs to 136 runs shy of the 2006-2009 totals there and they're .040 to .075 less in OPS.

They're actually not doing it statistically in relation to recent year's passed, however the runs they have scored and more importantly the innings pitched have resulted in significant win totals...which is all that matters.

Don't get me started on their unbelievable September record at home...and I do mean unbelievable.

A quick look at the 2010 split is head shaking:

At home they've scored 433 runs...to the road runs of 250....

99 home runs at home.....57 on the road....

415 RBI's at Coors.....242 elsewhere.....

.302 average.....302 AVERAGE!!!!!at Mile High......back down to earth at .228....

and finally...an OPS at home of .881 and the .657 on the road.

And if you don't think these numbers tell the whole story, well...you could be right...but to ignore them while patting the hitting coach on the back is delusional. Carlos Gonzalez....Tulo....Olivo...even Helton...all great players, and in Helton's case a HOF player...but the split home/away might just be thing that keeps CarGo from getting the MVP this year...that and the fact that Votto might just deserve it all that more.

Don Baylor....Shmon Shmaylor......hitting coach?.....puh leaze.......

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Don't look now but the Twins are only one game out from claiming the top spot in the AL. If they get home field advantage in the AL, they could be hosting snow games in late October :)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNbeyrYT_U"]YouTube - Tyler Colvin impaled by broken bat[/ame]

Colvin is now in the hospital with a partially collapsed lung.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Houston has been playing good ball ever since trading Berkman and Oswalt and hiring Bagwell as hitting coach. They have a chance to finish at .500, who knew?
'
Not sure what that means for next year...they could be decent I guess.

I haven't been paying much attention to baseball since football started. That NL West race looks like a good one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Houston has been playing good ball ever since trading Berkman and Oswalt and hiring Bagwell as hitting coach. They have a chance to finish at .500, who knew?
'
Not sure what that means for next year...they could be decent I guess.

I haven't been paying much attention to baseball since football started. That NL West race looks like a good one.

It and the NL wildcard are really the only thing still up for grabs (although 4 games is not insurmountable for Atlanta).

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I actually think Tulowitzki is the better shot for MVP unless CarGo wins the triple crown. Simply because Tulo's road/home numbers are closer together.

BA: .341 Home, .308 on the road.

HR: 14/12.

RBI: 54/35 (Due to the lack of runs scored on the road)

Tulo or Gonzalez could easily win the MVP. Ubaldo Jimenez still has a shot at the Cy Young, especially if he gets to 20 which he only needs one more win to do. If he wins 20 and they make the playoffs that'll give that effort a boost.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Votto...

Tulo missed too much time, even with a great Sept...CarGo's numbers are too one sided for home/away, though it would be hard to imagine where the Rox would be without him.

It's Votto...

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Yes, VOTTO !

I will be at the Reds game tomorrow night so if we do not clinch tonight due to the Cardinals losing......

I was also at the Division Clinching game in 1990. The game was rained out but during the delay, the Dodgers lost!

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Tonight on PBS, Ken Burns's The Tenth Inning premieres, a sequel to his 1994 documentary: Baseball The Tenth Inning: Home | PBS

Ken Burns - The Colbert Report - 9/27/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Yes...and the very things that I talked about four years ago about Steroids and Bonds and the hypocrisies by fans and player unions while on the original board and to a lesser degree on this board will find a larger audience on PBS. I feel a sort of vindication...a prolonged climax, if you will....but vindicated by my original statements and unwavering position.

It's about time...and....wait for it....told you so.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Reds Clinch !! (First time since 1995)

Thanks guys, I was actaully at the game at night. :bigthumbup:

Houston played us tough like they have played everyone since the all-star break.

If the Blue Jays were in another division......

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Good job by the Reds. Dusty Baker really turned that team around :)

How weird it will be if the Reds play the Giants in the Playoffs (Playoffs? :eek:mfg:)?

I hope you have something for Philly. I can't stand them :hhh:

If the Reds make it to the WS, they have a change to play a team they've never played before in the WS. I know they played the Yankees in the WS, but they've never played either former Senetor teams (Twins & Rangers) :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I don't hold any ill will for the Phillies...they have the best team in the majors, in my opinion, so beating them will feel all the more sweeter should that opportunity present itself this October.

I used to hate the Braves, but that anger has subsided. The Reds are an exciting team, their fans will be amped, but if it goes bad quickly for the Reds it could be over quickly.

The Dodgers are gone, the Rockies are gone...so the nightmares within the division have been fended off, and that's good enough for me.

If the Giants make the playoffs I will be excited yet gun shy going forward. They have the horses to win it, but when their hitting disappears, it can go away for days at a time...that just can't happen in the playoffs.

It's been a fun ride...absolutely.