2018 Movies & Tv Shows

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Oct 13, 2017.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

2. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Destroyer comes out Dec 25th.

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas movie.

4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last Wednesday I saw "Heavy Trip", a new heavy metal comedy from Finland. Very funny and a packed house agreed with me.

Last Friday I saw "Night Game", a 1980s police procedural about Galveston cop hunting a serial killer who only strikes when the Astros win a night game at home. Not a good film, but it had a bunch of scenes shot at the Balinese Room, a legendary club that used to stick out into the gulf on a pier. It was destroyed by Hurricane Ike.

Later that night I saw "Maniac", a realistic psycho killer movie about a guy who scraps women, nails their scalps to mannequins and decorates his apartment with them. Very gruesome and fascinating. It was written by the star, and he seemed way too into this.

Last night Mrs. Bag and I saw "A Star is Born". Lady Gaga was very good in it, and I love watching Sam Elliot, but the film felt very mechanical. Like it had to tell the same story the other versions did, so it just moved from point A to point B to point C in a deterministic manner. It wasn't as good as the Judy Garland version, so why bother?

I have to miss "Candyman" and "Lord of Illusion" tonight so I can sleep. I have to get up at 3:30 am to eat breakfast, get dressed and drive out to Baytown for the bike ride.

scotchandcigar and HecticArt like this.
  5. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Saw 2 2018 movies, I Think We're Alone Now and Eighth Grade.

I Think We're Alone Now was very good. It was like a drama version of that TV comedy Last Man on Earth with a bit of sifi at the end. I really liked it and I think it's one of my top 2018 movies so far.

Eighth Grade was good but the whole movie is nothing but awkward moments. Those are usually parts of a movie I don't like so a whole movie of them wasn't for me. I'm ready for Bo Burnham to get back to making comedy specials.

6. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I see about 1 or 2 movies per year in a theater. We were down at the family timeshare on Cape Cod this weekend, and we saw A Star Is Born. Gaga was great, Bradley Cooper was great performing the songs, but some of the movie's flow seemed illogical. It was both bizarre and fun to see Andrew Dice Clay as Gaga's father. Overall, we were entertained.

7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

A special trailer from Mary Poppins Returns came out today.

8. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

9. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Saturday I'm attending "Dismember the Alamo". Five horror films starting at 2 in the afternoon, running until 11pm. We don't know what the films are, only that they've never been shown at a Houston area Alamo before and these clues from the programming director:

I'm attending in a Halloween costume. Probably my black robes and hood with a plague mask. I thought about doing dead makeup, but 9 hours in makeup can be annoying.

Oh yeah, I also get a t-shirt commemorating the event.

I am so excited. I can hardly wait.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Don't pee your good robe.

memebag likes this.
  12. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

I'm watching The Cry right now. A 4 part, BBC series starring Jenna Coleman (from Doctor Who) about a dead infant and how it all went down. It's not great, but pretty good if you need something to watch.

13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

[​IMG]

I went with the black robes and a baby mask.

First movie was ... can't be named. It was one of my favorite made for TV movies from the 70s.

Second movie was the 1989 remake of "The Blob", starring Johnny Drama with a cameo by Eraserhead. It was OK. It's weird to think that 1988 is as far from 1958 (when the original was made) as 2018 is from 1988.

Third movie was "Necronomicon: Book of the Dead". A horror anthology loosely based on three Lovecraft stories, with a wraparound starring Jeffrey Combs as an ass kicking Lovecraft. The stories were fun. The third one was so tripped out.

Fourth was "Xtro". It's like "E.T." if the alien wanted to lay eggs in your family and give you mind control over an army created from your toys. Very messed up and fun.

Fifth was "Wild Beasts", an early 80s Italian film about zoo animals high on PCP. It was supposed to be a warning against pollution and modern life but was really a chance to show real animals die in horrible ways. A bunch of people walked out on this one, and it prompted some soul searching by the programming director.

HecticArt likes this.
  14. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Why can't the first movie be named?

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

15. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

A little research shows that it was The Night Stalker.

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Because we were allowed to view it on the condition that it not be mentioned. I've seen several films with that restriction. Complicated rights issues, I assume.

17. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I started watching Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Half way into the second episode it got really, really good.

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Evil_Ernie likes this.
  20. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night, after the last trick-or-treaters emptied my candy bowl, I drove through a tornado watch to see "
    Video Vortex: HOWL-O-WEEN HORROR MIXTAPE!". It was pretty lame. Highlights from 4 or 5 shot on VHS horror movies with a lame video store wraparound. 20 minutes in the theater power flickered and the movie restarted, so we had to see this doughy frat guy's ass twice.