2019 Movies & Tv Shows

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

Eldorado is one of the best

memebag likes this.
  2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I will have to check that one out.

MadisonRadio1 likes this.
  3. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

My favorite John Wayne movie line comes from Chisum (1970), which was loosely based on an 1878 land war in New Mexico Territory: "We may have to be neighbors but I don't have to be neighborly. "

JHDK likes this.
  4. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

It's a remake of Rio Bravo. I enjoy watching both in the summer

5. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I know, I seen some John Wayne movies. But he has stared in so damn many, it's hard to keep track.

I bet most people don't know his voice was in Star Wars as the character Garindan.

[​IMG]

6. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I thought those two stared in more movies together. I loved Talladega Nights but I thought Step Brothers was funnier.

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Those two are usually great together.
    The Holmes thing just looked terrible.
    I might try to watch it if it shows up on cable for free.....

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "The Hunger", the 1983 Tony Scott film based on a novel by Whitley Strieber. It was very good. There's a scene where Catherine Deneuve carries David Bowie up to her attic to lock him in a coffin for eternity. As she was going up stairs there was a lot of dust and shafts of light. I thought "his movie needs doves!" And BAM the attic is chock full of doves.

After that I saw "Communion", the 1989 Phillipe Mora film based on Whitley Strieber's account of his interactions with "visitors". Christopher Walken gives a very wacked out performance, even for Christopher Walken. Most of the film is either over-Walkened or deadly dull, but a few sequences capture the unease that comes from little blue guys coming over and probing Uranus.

MadisonRadio1 and scotchandcigar like this.
  10. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

I'm watching Escape from Dannemora and wow they make the two prison employees, the man and wife, look like mentally challenged adults.

It's a pretty good show though. Paul Dano is good in everything he does.

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

This afternoon I watched "Dreams", Kurosawa's 1990 anthology of eight of his own dreams. I saw it when it was first released, and I had it on laserdisc. I enjoyed it more this time than any other time I watched it. I think that's because I'm so old now.

My only complaint was that he placed "The Village of the Watermills", a dream about a village with a rapid river and many watermills, at the end of the 2 hour film. I really needed to pee and all those watermills weren't helping.

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "The FP" and "The FP2: Beats of Rage".

"The FP" is a very low budget film about gangs fighting for control of the liquor supply in a town using the "Dance Dance Revolution" video game. I thought it was probably going to suck, but it did not. It was very good. It is a collection of absurd cliches treated seriously. Everyone calls each other "dog" and "bro". There are ducks. It is funnier than it ought to be.

"The FP2: Beats of Rage" was released 7 years after the first one. It was funded through IndieGoGo by fans of the first film. Sadly, it wasn't as funny as the original, although it did have several very interesting design elements.

About 50 people attended this double feature instead of watching the Oscars. After the films we Skyped with the writer/director/star, Jason Trost. Each of us also received a free Bluray of the first film. They are selling for over $50 on ebay and Amazon.

HecticArt likes this.
  13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

What does FP stand for?
    I'm not likely to see those flicks.

14. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

That sounds like the perfect "movie elitist" thing to do.

15. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The FP is Frazier Park, California, a small town south of Bakersfield.

[​IMG]

HecticArt likes this.
  16. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Then what is the word for poo-pooing what the masses do, and instead doing something only the hardcore movie-philes would be interested in?

17. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

First, I read people complain that the most popular films do not win Oscars because the Academy is elitist. It's a common theme in this morning's opinion pieces. So I'm not convinced that watching the Oscars is populist.

Second, it isn't like I was watching the lesser known works of Truffaut. I was watching a movie about guys playing a video game, calling each other "dawg" and drinking a lot of beer. There is nothing elitist about "The FP". All are welcome.

Third, even if I was doing something that "the masses" weren't doing, it doesn't mean I'm "poo-pooing" them or what they are doing. When my tastes align with those of "the masses" then I do what they do and watch what they watch. When they don't align I do something else. It doesn't mean I'm better than they are, I just have different tastes.

ETA: And I assume that's true for everyone in "the masses", right? Y'all aren't doing stuff you don't want to do just to avoid elitism, are you?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Who's that????

Never mind. I don't think I'd be watching any of his films anyway......

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Thanks.

I don't think I'll be going there.

20. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote comes out May 19th.