2019 Movies & Tv Shows

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I can't believe the Curse of the Orona is being released Easter weekend :laughcry:

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "Phantasm" for the first time. Don Coscarelli, the writer and director, was in attendance, along with Tim League, the founder of the Alamo Drafthouse. I remember seeing ads for this movie on TV when I was in middle school. It looked kind of dumb. Since then I've heard people rave about it as a masterpiece of absurdist horror. Now I know my initial instinct was right. It's kind of dumb. Bonkers, too.

I expected Coscarelli to be 90 years old, but he made it when he was in his early 20s, so he's just 65. He was fascinating. The Q and A was better than the movie.

Memegirl popped into town so she's going to see "Slut in a Good Way" with Mrs. Bag and I tonight. Next weekend I will see 3 movies on Friday and 5 on Saturday. Super excited.

3. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

I think this is the movie I will be most excited to see all year:

Time to re-watch the series. This will be my 3rd or 4th time through. I love GoT but I think I love Deadwood more.

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm stoked. I wish they never would have taken that show off the air.

memebag likes this.
  5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I've been bingeing it. I'm almost done.

Last night the Bags saw "Slut in a Good Way". A Canadian black and white film in French about teenage girls wrestling with cultural expectations around sex. I thought it was just OK, but Memegirl and Mrs. Bag liked it a lot.

JHDK likes this.
  6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

WTF somebody watches a Canadian film?

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

JHDK and HecticArt like this.
  7. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

Take off, ay

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

The proper Canadian spelling is ‘eh’.

HecticArt likes this.
  9. semipenguin

Maybe the were part Australian

10. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw the first three "The Howling" movies.

"The Howling" was good, if a little slow. I enjoyed cameos by John Sayles, Roger Corman and Forrest J. Ackerman.

"Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf" was interesting if not good. Sybil Danning is the queen werewolf and her group loves bondage clothing.

"The Marsupials: Howling 3" was a great movie. It turns out there are weremarsupials in Australia, and they have pouches. You can hear someone explain that you will see a werejoey make its trip from snatch to pouch, and even comprehend that in some abstract way, but actually seeing it will change you. The scene is infused with love, as is the entire film.

semipenguin likes this.
  12. semipenguin

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

Wherewolves of Lhondon.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Mystery movie marathon yesterday. 10.5 hours in a dark room with food, drink and movies. Yum.

First was "Empire of the Sun", the 1987 Spielberg movie based on J.G. Ballard's semi-autobiographical book. I hadn't seen it since 1987, when I saw it in the theater. The rest of the audience was mostly too young to have seen that. It was OK, and reminded me of how I grew weary of Spielberg.

Next was "Champion", a run of the mill Korean arm wrestling movie. Sweet but not much more than a collection of sports movie clichés.

Then it was "The Art of Self Defense", a sneak preview. It's a dark comedy about a guy trying to learn to be a man. Very, very funny and very good.

Then we saw "The Peanut Butter Solution", the legendary 1985 "children's" movie about slavery, magic paintings, dead winos, the longest pubic hair I've ever seen, and of course, Skippy peanut butter. On top of that it contains the very first English language Celine Dion songs.

Lastly, we saw "The Death of Dick Long", another sneak preview. It's about some rednecks in a Nickleback cover band dealing with the fallout of partying a little too hard one night. It was good. Mostly it made me glad I survived my wild days without ever gong through something like that.

HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm glad you weren't in a Nickleback cover band too!
    Some mistakes haunt people their entire lives.

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote", the Terry Gilliam film that took 25 years to make.

Being Terry Gilliam must be like a curse. You get to make movies, but you are doomed to keep making Terry Gilliam movies, despite the whole world trying to stop you. You fight the whole world for 25 years and voila, you've made yet another god damned Terry Gilliam movie, full of quirkiness and rage and shallow romanticism, all of which you did better 30 years ago.

Our "hero" is a successful commercial director who sees a DVD of a movie he made 10 years ago before he sold out, when he had integrity. He goes on a quest and learns that he is selfish. He learns he ruined people's lives. He kills one of them and "saves" another. Despite his selfishness, everything really is about him. Rich people are evil. Women are things. Artists are insane. Isn't it wonderful?

MadisonRadio1 likes this.
  17. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I forgot to mention I saw the Curse of LaLlorona on Good Friday. They kind've told the original true story my Mom use to tell me me growing up. Then it was just A will the Monster get you but still good enough to enjoy my pizza, popcorn and cherry soda.