2019 Movies & Tv Shows

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Why?

1. I like to make grandiose statements.

2. Most people are not like Meme, they go to the theater for 3 hours at most. It's not your house, if you know you're going to be cold, wear a hoodie.

2a. I guess an exception could be made if you are going to be there all day for a marathon or something like that.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
True. A few of them are even amusing.
2. Most people are not like Meme, they go to the theater for 3 hours at most. It's not your house, if you know you're going to be cold, wear a hoodie.
Thank Bono!
2a. I guess an exception could be made if you are going to be there all day for a marathon or something like that.
Who made you the blanket police?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Why?

None of those explain your opposition. Why is a hoodie ok but not a blanket?

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Before I pass judgment, I have to ask: Is this the movie that was being shown?

View attachment 5490
You should be careful about making blanket statements.

I actually agree with Koop: this isn't your frickin rec room, it's a public space; have some sense of decorum.

It used to be that people wore suits and dresses in public. Is it too much to ask people to leave their sleepwear at home?

Reactions: JHDK

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You should be careful about making blanket statements.

I actually agree with Koop: this isn't your frickin rec room, it's a public space; have some sense of decorum.

It used to be that people wore suits and dresses in public. Is it too much to ask people to leave their sleepwear at home?
It’s just a blanket. But we do have pajama parties at the theater. It isn’t a formal occasion.

I still haven’t heard why a blanket is frowned upon in a theater. Some people get cold there. A blanket seems like a good solution to me.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I've seen fans at cold weather games with blankets too. Football games and movies are an experience of two hours or more... Do what you gotta do to be comfortable.

I'm all for maintaining decorum, but I think this is different.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I am not a judge, nor do I play one on television, but here is my official pronouncement regarding the issue of lap blankets in theaters: They should be allowed only in the front row of seats. In any other row, the blanket would make it difficult for other moviegoers who want to buy snacks or use the restroom during the movie and would have to pass in front of the blanket bearer. Somebody could trip on the blanket and fall. Oh golly gee, we wouldn't want that, now would we?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've got a bigger problem with people in the middle of a row getting up to get snacks, or to hit the restroom.

Go before, hold it till after, or sit on the aisle if you will need to get up.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I agree – but many theaters in my area have remodeled and now have wider aisles and plush, wide, reclining seats. Schmucks next to me who have to buy snacks every 15 minutes can easily get out without me having to stand. Baseball games are much more worserer. The rows of seats are narrow and the seats are small and uncomfortable and I often am in the same row with families with several kids who take turns leaving and returning, forcing everyone else in the row to stand – and it's still difficult for the kids to pass without stumbling and bumping everyone. At least Southern California is so hot, nobody needs a lap blanket.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
The longer this goes on, the lamer the excuses are.
I've seen fans at cold weather games with blankets too.
This isn't Lambeau Field in January; it's a goddam heated, indoor theater.
Some people get cold there. A blanket seems like a good solution to me.
Shall I make a list of cold-weather activities, where none of the participants are wrapped in blankets? And just think about the person who brings a blanket: they have to take it out of their car, and walk into the theater with it in their arms.

Now if they're planning on engaging in some hanky-panky......

Reactions: JHDK

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The longer this goes on, the lamer the excuses are.

This isn't Lambeau Field in January; it's a goddam heated, indoor theater.
No, this is Houston in August. It is cold like ice inside. We keep it cold inside and hot outside here. Don't tell us how to live our lives.

Shall I make a list of cold-weather activities, where none of the participants are wrapped in blankets? And just think about the person who brings a blanket: they have to take it out of their car, and walk into the theater with it in their arms.

Now if they're planning on engaging in some hanky-panky......
All of the women I know bring a sweater to the theater. We are in shorts and tank tops outside (where it is 100+ during the day and 90+ at night). Spending a couple of hours in a 68 degree theater requires additional clothing.

You asked why we have Goody's headache powder in the south. It's because Yankees are always giving us headaches, that's why.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Saturday night I saw "The Stunt Man" from 1980. Mainstream? It was nominated for 3 Academy Awards, and not weird ones. But it had a limited release, so maybe it's obscure? It isn't an art house film. It's a movie about a criminal hiding on a movie set, posing as a stunt man, becoming more and more convinced that the director is trying to kill him.

It was enjoyable, but the acting was all over the map. Peter O'Toole is turned up to 11 and Steve Railsback is at a 2. Allen Garfield is is in it, and I just love him in anything.

There were only 5 people in the theater. The programming director came around to our seats and thanked us each individually for attending.

Sunday afternoon I saw "Samurai I: Miyamoto Musashi". It was mainstream in Japan, but probably considered obscure here. It's the first part of a trilogy. Toshiro Mifune plays legendary samurai Miyamoto Musashi. He spends almost half the film suspended from a tree, being tortured by a Buddhist monk. The story was interesting, but the pacing was very slow. More of an Edo period drama than a samurai film, really.