2019 Movies & Tv Shows

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Jun 13, 2018.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "Widows". It was released months ago but the new Drafthouse wasn't able to squeeze it in until last night., when they showed it to a sold out house at Film Club.

It was good, but didn't live up to the immense hype. Just a ton of great actors in it.

HecticArt likes this.
  2. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I just watched a great film ”Love, Simon” it’s about.

Everyone deserves a great love story, but for 17-year-old Simon Spier, it's a little more complicated. He hasn't told his family or friends that he's gay, and he doesn't know the identity of the anonymous classmate that he's fallen for online. Resolving both issues proves hilarious, terrifying and life-changing.

I felt like I was part of that story also. Hiding my gayness inside me for many years and not telling my family and friends. That movie is definitely in my top class of favorite films of 2018. It a major tear jerker and I give it 9.5 out of 10.

Hopefully one day I will find that anonymous person for me out there.

HecticArt, memebag and scotchandcigar like this.
  3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw a double feature.

First was "Darkman", the 1990 comic book movie about a burn victim who also happens to be scientist growing fake skin. I loved it when it came out, but I was dozing off by the end of it.

Next was "Between Worlds", a very low budget Nicolas Cage movie. It has a very dumb plot about possession, weirdly stilted dialogue (alas if it was written by a non- English speaker), and Nicolas Cage acting his little heart out. Cage hooks up with a truck driver who likes to be choked. He comes to believe that her teenage daughter is possessed by his dead wife so they start banging. The truck driver disapproves and some mayhem ensues.

4. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Shiiiiit! I remember Darkman!!! Woah, that brings me back. You remember a series called M.A.N.T.I.S.?

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "Grand Illusion", the 1937 French film about class differences in WWI prison camps. A lot of people think this is one of the greatest movies ever made. I am not one of them. It was OK, but not great. It has some great images, and the restoration was beautiful, but its insights about class are shallow and largely Euro-centric.

JHDK likes this.
  6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

We should really have 2 threads. Films released in 2019 and films memebag sees in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Wolf and hyson like this.
  7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Which release date will you use for the "released in" thread?

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

I would assume theatrical release would be the one to use. I know occasionally there may be some ambiguity but less so than the time a 1939 obscure film is shown at your film club cinema.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

hyson likes this.
  9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Which theatrical release date, then? Limited? Wide? US? Foreign? Will we keep a thread for every release year so people can go back and discuss films screened in the current year but released in a previous year?

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

Pick one. I think US main release date will be fine. If we are +/- 1 year that is ok. But we should have a separate thread for films you or anybody else watches in a given year. Unless you can prove one of the major release dates (not just to your backwoods film club theatre showing date) falls in 2019.

hyson likes this.
  11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Wow, you sound emotional about this. Are you angry?

12. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Houston is "backwoods"?

13. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

:laughcry:

Good stuff. How about we just have 2 threads: New Movies, and Movies You've Seen. If you see a movie that is newly developed to premiere in theaters, and is being shown during the current year, it goes in New Movies. Otherwise, it goes in the other one. Done.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The category "new movies" has ambiguous membership conditions, though, as previously described. I write about movies I see in a theater in the thread for the year I saw them, regardless of release date.

15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

A new Captain Marvel trailer.

16. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

So Captain Marvel is a broad?

17. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

This version yes.

There are some rumors that Jude Law might be playing the role first as "Mar-Vell", then Brie Larson takes the mantle.

There are many versions of Captain Marvel and originally developed by DC Comics. That a whole another story and that can be found on the net.

Captain Marvel (Marvel Comics) - Wikipedia

18. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Never was in to Captain Marvel.

The MCU is pretty damn good, though. Beats the snot outta DC.

Wolf likes this.
  19. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "The Silence of the Lambs". What a great movie. It's held up well over time. I haven't seen it on the big screen since 1991. At the time I didn't notice how much of the film is just super tight closeups of faces. It reminded me of "The Passion of Joan of Arc" that way. It was fun to watch it with a bunch of people too young to have seen it in its first theatrical release.

MadisonRadio1, HecticArt and hyson like this.
  20. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

"Hello, Clarice" never happens.

HecticArt likes this.