2019 Movies & Tv Shows

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Jun 13, 2018.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

None of those obscure movies resonate with me as much as "Citizen Kane". I've seen it more than 100 times. At one point I could recite it from start to finish, with music cues.

JHDK likes this.
  2. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Same with me, except for Office Space.

Evil_Ernie, HecticArt and memebag like this.
  3. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

memebag likes this.
  4. scotchandcigar

The consensus seems to be that this Super Bowl broadcast was one of the worst ever. Aside from extremely uninteresting gameplay, I couldn't get over how infrequently the game was actually on the TV. It was as if the commercials were the show, and the field plays were the commercials. I didn't really watch the commercials, but several people said they weren't very good. And the halftime show SUCKED. I'm not sure what they were going for with that.

5. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

But there was the PUNT!

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Since commercials run on change of possession a series of 3 and outs would severely disrupt the flow.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

7. scotchandcigar

So you're saying that the sucky offense contributed to the opportunity for ads? That's probably true, since they wouldn't interrupt a 10-minute-long drive for a commercial - unless there was an injury, a timeout, a 1st-down measurement, or a call-review.

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Wednesday I saw two movies.

First, I saw "Holiday", a Swedish movie about a Danish woman "vacationing" in Turkey with her abusive crime lord boss. It was bleak and depressing and shocking. It has a setup similar to "Revenge", but in that film the victim goes on a vision quest and becomes a murderous superhero. This film is more realistic. She just puts up with more horror in order to survive. Not sure I would recommend this film to anyone. The fonts were nice.

The programming director issued a trigger warning before the film. It needed it. It contains a scene that no one expects from an art house film. But it raised the question of trigger warnings vs spoilers. I proposed that in the future, he make the trigger warnings available to those who want them, and let the rest of us calloused souls avoid spoilers.

The second film was "Piercing", which starts like a stylized but standard serial killer movie, then turns in some unexpected directions and becomes a truly f-ed up cinematic experience. I loved it. There's a lot of deep insanity and beautiful visuals. Mia Wasikowska plays a prostitute with issues. After "Holiday", this was a breath of fresh air.

MadisonRadio1 likes this.
  9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Friday night I saw "The Abominable Dr. Phibes". Vincent Price plays an acoustic super genius on a revenge killing spree based on the plagues of Egypt. He has a beautiful female slave that plays violin, dances with him and opens his pickle jars. He has a big organ that rises up out of the floor. He has a robot band that he conducts. Oh and he's so smart he can do all of this while he is dead. It was very slow at times, but always beautiful.

After that I saw "The Phantom of the Paradise", Brian DePalma's version of "Phantom of the Opera", "Faust" and "The Picture of Dorian Gray". Paul Williams stars as an evil rock and roll genius who steals a rock cantata from a geek and seduces Jessica Harper. The rock cantata, what we hear of it, is amazing, and written by Paul Williams. I would have preferred to watch a movie of just that music, without any of the stuff framing it. The movie is blatantly homophobic. It mocks several styles of pop music, but dismisses all glam rock with a mincing queen caricature named "Beef". The movie also includes a love scene between Jessica Harper and Paul Williams that makes the geek try to kill himself and made me think about it. I love Paul Williams but I don't ever want to see him in a love scene.

"Phantom of the Paradise" came out in 1974, one year before "Tommy" and "Rocky Horror Picture Show", both of which cover some similar ground in the form of rock operas. "Tommy" (the album) no doubt inspired "Phatom" to some degree, but avoided the campy take on everything. "Rocky Horror" was even more campy than "Phantom", but was LGBTQ positive in ways nothing else in 70s cinema would be.

I dislike every Brian DePalma film I've ever seen.

HecticArt and scotchandcigar like this.
  10. scotchandcigar

Those are some pretty f'ed-up movies.
    WTF is that?

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I don't know. I didn't understand several plot points in that movie. He's a doctor, but his expertise is something to do with acoustics. At no point in the film does he use acoustics to kill anyone. He does, however, plug his throat into a gramophone looking contraption in order to speak.

Vincent Price never opens his mouth in the entire film.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Last night I saw "The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot". It was a passion project written and directed by one guy as his first feature length film. It took him 12 years to get it made. It stars Sam Elliot.

It was dumb. Also slow. Sam Elliot is great, as he is in everything. The rest of the movie, not so much.

I remember great directors in the 90s gushing about how cheap film tech was becoming, and how that would let some kid no one ever heard of make the next masterpiece. Cheap tech lowers the barrier to entry and lets films get made that would have been stopped by the money people before. This is one of those films that should have been stopped.

13. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Aladdin comes out May 24th.

14. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I got sick of the F&F series a while ago, but this looks pretty good, and a big fan of both guys.

15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Tolkien comes out May 10th

16. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Frozen 2 comes out Nov 22nd.

17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Did I miss Defrosted?

18. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Unfortunately yes. But you can watch it anytime.

Spoiler alert: The ice melts

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Thanks.
    I'll wait for the DVD.

20. scotchandcigar

upload_2019-2-14_13-17-36.png