2019 Movies & Tv Shows

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I wanted to see that on the big screen in 3d for the effects, but it was there and gone too quickly.

We saw the new Tarantino flick last night. It was good, but not my favorite Quentin movie. Leo was good, but the movie was too long. He took on the old school pacing of movies from the 70's and I don't think it added much. It could have been 30 minutes shorter, and I would have been happy.
How was Margot Robbie?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Today the whole Bag family saw the mainstream film, “Once Upon A Time ... In Hollywood”. We all loved it. It’s overindulgent and meandering, but it’s Tarantino’s penultimate film, so we cut him some slack. We will miss these meanderings when they are gone.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I just saw the question Mister scotch asked nine days ago and I want to answer it before he forgets he asked it. My wife has a cellphone/camera and takes a lot of pictures with it. She posts some of the photos on her Facebook page. I'm one of the last remaining Americans who still take pictures with a Fuji disposable camera and take it to the local drugstore to have the pictures developed. I don't take many pictures, though, unless we go to Walt Disney World or a picturesque vacation spot.

But I'm not completely old-fashioned. I buy music on CDs and movies on Blu-Ray and I haven't bought a vinyl record since the mid-1980s. I also drive one o' them new-fangled "horseless carriages."

Tarantino's new movie managed to very faithfully – and without any matte paintings or CGI – re-create 1969 Hollywood, everything from cars, clothes, hairstyles and RTD buses to record stores, restaurants, KHJ's "Boss Jocks" on the radio and Hair at the Aquarius Theater. And yes, it's too long. I wonder whatever became of that nice Roman Polanski fellow.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I just saw the question Mister scotch asked nine days ago and I want to answer it before he forgets he asked it. My wife has a cellphone/camera and takes a lot of pictures with it. She posts some of the photos on her Facebook page. I'm one of the last remaining Americans who still take pictures with a Fuji disposable camera and take it to the local drugstore to have the pictures developed. I don't take many pictures, though, unless we go to Walt Disney World or a picturesque vacation spot.

But I'm not completely old-fashioned. I buy music on CDs and movies on Blu-Ray and I haven't bought a vinyl record since the mid-1980s. I also drive one o' them new-fangled "horseless carriages."

Tarantino's new movie managed to very faithfully – and without any matte paintings or CGI – re-create 1969 Hollywood, everything from cars, clothes, hairstyles and RTD buses to record stores, restaurants, KHJ's "Boss Jocks" on the radio and Hair at the Aquarius Theater. And yes, it's too long. I wonder whatever became of that nice Roman Polanski fellow.
I actually already forgot I asked, but thanks for replying.

You've heard of the "early adopter", I'm a late adopter. I don't move to to a new technology until it's actually better than the old. I currently watch TV on a Panasonic plasma. That replaced a Sony Wega XBR HD tube TV (weight: 175 lbs).
I was late buying a CD player, PC, digital camera, cell phone, and smart phone. I was late to Facebook, satellite radio, mp3's, streaming, and downloading.

My car has a non-turbo straight-six gas engine and 6-speed manual. It doesn't have a touch-screen (or any screen), power seats, any "smart" driver features or sensors, or a back-up camera.

I have a high-end home stereo, with massive American made speakers, a CD player from an American company, a Canadian preamp and power amp, and all cabling and power regulation from American companies. I have a turntable, which I use to play records, not to convert them to digital.

So I understand the idea of waiting on technology.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
You've heard of the "early adopter", I'm a late adopter. I don't move to to a new technology until it's actually better than the old

I'm a firm believer in this when it comes to new amazing things seen on Kickstarter like places. If it's a viable idea the market will adopt it and make it better. Best not to jump in when a bunch of randos are in charge.

But when it comes to big established names...Nintendo comes to mind...I will happily line up to get their new tech day 1.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Disney really believes in that "Circle of Life" concept. They've done (or are doing) remakes of The Lion King, Mulan, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Snow White, Cinderella, Aladdin, Alice In Wonderland, Freaky Friday, Pete's Dragon, That Darn Cat, The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, The Love Bug, The Sword & The Stone, Beauty & The Beast and 101 Dalmatians and sequels to Cars, Toy Story, Air Bud, Monsters Inc., Frozen, Fantasia, Peter Pan, National Treasure, Finding Nemo, White Fang, Descendants, High School Musical, The Rescuers, The Incredibles, The Shaggy Dog, The Parent Trap, The Mighty Ducks, The Princess Diaries, The Absent-Minded Professor, The Santa Clause, Lilo & Stitch, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Escape To Witch Mountain and Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Yes sir, the "Circle of Life." Disney – in fact, all of Hollywood – is out of ideas.

Hmm. Where have I heard that before?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Live-action talk.

I thought Cinderella was very good.

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie so the new one couldn't live up to my expectations. I am looking forward to seeing Aladdin and Lion King. I also love those cartoons but think I will like them better remade. Will Smith is a movie star. If anyone can reprise Robin Williams' role it's him.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The new "photo-real" Lion King will make much more money than the 1994 animated Lion King but it is highly disappointing because it looks so realistic. Too realistic. We accepted talking lions, talking hyenas, a talking meerkat and a talking warthog in the animated film – but now they look like real animals. Real animals (with the exception of trained birds) do not speak English. The charm and the emotional impact of the original film have been lost. To paraphrase a Shania Twain song, "Okay, so the movie looks realistic. That don't impress me much."

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The new "photo-real" Lion King will make much more money than the 1994 animated Lion King but it is highly disappointing because it looks so realistic. Too realistic. We accepted talking lions, talking hyenas, a talking meerkat and a talking warthog in the animated film – but now they look like real animals. Real animals (with the exception of trained birds) do not speak English. The charm and the emotional impact of the original film have been lost. To paraphrase a Shania Twain song, "Okay, so the movie looks realistic. That don't impress me much."

Haven't seen it yet so who knows, and I don't believe this about the movie but I've read it has the uncanny valley effect where cartoons look a little too real but not 100% real. It's been happening more and more in video games and it's creepy.

1564379518352.png

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
My sweetie and I went to visit my mother and we all went to see The Lion King. It was enjoyable however their theater auditorium was very cold from the air conditioner and mother didn't have a jacket. While sweetie went to see if they could adjust the temperature a bit, I went back to my car and found a flexible cloth shopping bag that she could use as a blanket. I knew those shopping bags in the trunk would be handy for something some day.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I think we will go see that Hollywood movie this weekend. Still haven't seen SpiderMan and the summer is going fast, at least from the summer movies perspective. Then there's the new dog movie coming soon, Racing with the Rain, or something like that. Looks pretty good

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Last night I saw the mainstream (I think) movie “The People Under the Stairs”, written and directed by Wes Craven. I’m not a Wes Craven fan, but this was my favorite of his movies. A thin allegory about race and poverty in the USA, with a hilarious portrayal of the degeneracy of wealthy white people.

Next I saw what I assume will be a mainstream movie, “Villains”. This was an early sneak preview of a film about two small time criminals who cross paths with some real villains, who are also degenerate wealthy white people. It was very good.

Between those we saw a short film called “Squirrel”. No idea how obscure it is, but this is it:

The films we saw last night were a mystery before they aired, but it was sold out. Here’s a picture of us.

1C739E3B-D248-4817-9F05-1E0C1F63886B.jpeg

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
This afternoon the whole Bag family saw a new movie. We agree it’s an art house film, and we decided it’s probably obscure. It was promoted heavily on media I consume, but most people probably haven’t discovered it.

It’s “The Farewell”, a semi-autobiographical story of a Chinese American woman going to China with her family to see her grandmother. The grandmother is dying of cancer but doesn’t know it. Everyone else in the family knows, though. This is a Chinese cultural thing, to not tell someone they have a terminal disease. Why stress them out?

It was a very good movie. Highly recommended.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
There are still quite a few people who watch movies and programs on old-fashioned televisions and not on cellphones, tablets, PCs, Hulu, Netflix, Sling, Vue, Amazon, Roku, Vimeo or YouTube. Who knew? There is even a Television Critics Association. They just held their annual awards ceremony – and I'm wondering if Fleabag has any connection to Mister memebag.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
1C739E3B-D248-4817-9F05-1E0C1F63886B.jpeg

Look at the front row...If you bring a blanket to the movie theater, I hate you with a passion.