2021 Movies and TV Shows

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Like last year and the many years prior this is a thread for stuff we've seen in 2021, not only stuff that comes out this year.

Who knows how many movies we'll see in a theater this year but I'm all for doing what HBO Max has done with releasing all major movies on Max day and date with the theater release. I'm really looking forward to Dune. After Nolan (who is my clear #1 favorite) Villeneuve is right up there in my top 5 directors. He has proven he can do vast epics with Blade Runner 2049 so I'm assuming he won't screw up Dune. Let's see how well that statement holds up once it's released.

1610031105579.png

1610031131881.png

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I would be happy to actually see any movie in the theatre sometime this year.
We have rarely gone to a movie theater in the last decade, so the current situation is fine with me. We've probably averaged 1 or 2 theater visits a year. Between the crowds, concession prices, talkers, cell phone users, seat kickers, people wearing hats, endless previews, broken seats, sticky floors, and difficulty getting out of the seat rows, I don't see the attraction.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I recently watched 2 movies that will likely be up for best picture and have best actor/actress noms and they were both boring.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
This was Chadwick's last performance so he will likely be up for best actor even though it's an ensemble cast and I thought Viola Davis was much more memorable. They uglied her up for the role which is always a bummer and this movie is based off a play and oh boy is that obvious within the first 5 minutes. Overall this one is the better of the two I've seen.

Nomadland
I was really looking forward to this one. I enjoyed Frances McDormand in Three Billboards and the premise of an older lady falling on hard times and having to live in a van is very interesting to me. Yet this was a slog. At least I could connect with the characters in Ma Rainey's. This one I felt nothing for any of them.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
We have rarely gone to a movie theater in the last decade, so the current situation is fine with me. We've probably averaged 1 or 2 theater visits a year. Between the crowds, concession prices, talkers, cell phone users, seat kickers, people wearing hats, endless previews, broken seats, sticky floors, and difficulty getting out of the seat rows, I don't see the attraction.

I hear ya there. My theater going was just to see the movie, not as a social event. I've seen a lot of movies in the past few years in theaters but most all of them have been during the day on a weekday when the theater is either empty or near empty and I never buy snacks. Much like at the mall, even when I a giant fatso, I never say the point of needing to eat when you're only there for 2 or 3 hours. I may have gone to the movies like 10 times on dates on a fri or sat in the past 5 years. I've probably gone 50-100 times in that same period of time during a weekday matinee, just to see a movie I thought looked good.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I recently watched 2 movies that will likely be up for best picture and have best actor/actress noms and they were both boring.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
This was Chadwick's last performance so he will likely be up for best actor even though it's an ensemble cast and I thought Viola Davis was much more memorable. They uglied her up for the role which is always a bummer and this movie is based off a play and oh boy is that obvious within the first 5 minutes. Overall this one is the better of the two I've seen.

Nomadland
I was really looking forward to this one. I enjoyed Frances McDormand in Three Billboards and the premise of an older lady falling on hard times and having to live in a van is very interesting to me. Yet this was a slog. At least I could connect with the characters in Ma Rainey's. This one I felt nothing for any of them.

I couldn't find Nomadland streaming anywhere yet.

Ma Rainey was okay mostly due to the performances.

Mank wasn't my favorite. Another Academy Award potential.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Mank wasn't my favorite. Another Academy Award potential.

I still need to check that one out.

I also finally started watching The Mandalorian and am on s01e03 right now. I get why people love this show. So far it's the best Star Wars related thing since the original IV-VI.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
talkers, cell phone users, seat kickers,
These are my biggest reason for avoiding the theater pre-covid. Way too many people behave like they are watching a movie at home in their living room. They don't think twice about talking, and they don't even try to whisper.

I usually like the trailers.
I also finally started watching The Mandalorian
We watched the first episode, and need to get back to them.
I like it.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
National Board of Review Announces Top Films of 2020:

TOP FILMS (in alphabetical order):

First Cow
The Forty-Year-Old Version
Judas and the Black Messiah
The Midnight Sky
Minari
News of the World
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
Soul
Sound of Metal

---

I've got 3 I still need to see.
I wouldn't have put The Midnight Sky in a top ten list.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I recently saw three movies, 2 of which I've seen before, and really liked them all.

The one I didn't see before - The American President.
This is a sweet love story with politics thrown in and I loved it. You can rest assured that anything Aaron Sorkin touches will be uber liberal, yet I still seem to enjoy everything he does. Also it was neat to see what is basically the origin story of The West Wing.

Looper
It's been (one week) so long since I saw this one I forgot about it. Really good time travel assassin movie.

Arrival
This one I remembered and just wanted to watch again. Amy Adams is a tour de force in this one and she plays off Jeremy Renner well. Very good, heady sifi movie. But of course it was going to be good, it was directed by Denis Villeneuve, my second favorite director.

News of the World

I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

I hear this is the best Pixar movie yet. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

And speaking of my favorite directors, I just got 2 movies in 4K by my #1 favorite, Chris Nolan. I will be rewatching for the millionth time Interstellar and The Dark Knight Rises.

While The Dark Knight is way better than Rises, I have seen Rises fewer times so I thought it would be nice to check out Bane in 4K.

Reactions: Aaron

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I'm the polar opposite with movies & tv as I am with music. Not only did I not see any of those, I haven't even heard of them. I couldn't tell you what the most recent film I've seen is. And there's only 2 tv shows from the last 20 years I've seen more than a few episodes of: IT Crowd and Kominsky Method.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
We have a thread around here saying that "Hollywood is out of ideas". And yet having watched a ton of movies lately, I can say that a lot of great movies were made in the last decade. You just got to know where to look.

Which I'm sure the same goes for music. And I'm guilty of not putting in the effort to locate the good new music, like I am with movies.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm the polar opposite with movies & tv as I am with music. Not only did I not see any of those, I haven't even heard of them. I couldn't tell you what the most recent film I've seen is. And there's only 2 tv shows from the last 20 years I've seen more than a few episodes of: IT Crowd and Kominsky Method.
That doesn't sound like polar opposite. I know you listen to (and play) new music, but your prime music era is the 80s. I imagine that kids, and playing in a band takes up most of your TV time.

Reactions: sadchild

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't have the kids to bog me down, but if I spent less time watching TV, I'm sure that I'd be able to get from being a 'kinda passable' guitar player to being 'not too bad' at it.