2TB drives are now under $100

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I just picked up a couple 2TB hard drives for $99 each from TigerDirect. Gonna purge my desktop of the 500GB drives that I installed a couple years ago when I built it. One drive will go in my PC and the other will go in my NAS as a backup of the primary in the PC. Maybe my next upgrade will be a SSD boot drive and Win7 :).

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have 2 mirrored 2TB drives in my NAS now. I thought about putting a 2TB in my desktop when I rebuilt it, but realized I don't really need 2TB on the desktop. Big data goes on the NAS. Programs get installed to the 1TB, which is quite a bit faster than the cheap 2TB drives out there. And the OS lives on the SSD. So far it's working out great. I think I have 980GB free on the 1TB desktop drive.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I have 2 mirrored 2TB drives in my NAS now. I thought about putting a 2TB in my desktop when I rebuilt it, but realized I don't really need 2TB on the desktop. Big data goes on the NAS. Programs get installed to the 1TB, which is quite a bit faster than the cheap 2TB drives out there. And the OS lives on the SSD. So far it's working out great. I think I have 980GB free on the 1TB desktop drive.
It's great to see these things coming down in price.

I still want a 2 TB mirrored drive for my desktop and archives. I'm not enough of a power user anymore to need a NAS for the house, but as my IT guys says, you don't really have your data till you have it in 2 places.

I realized that this weekend when I was trying to hook up my old zip drive to archive some school projects from 13 years ago. I can't access my old zip drive. No parallel port on either my desktop or laptop dock. I've got a USB to parallel adapter cable, but it's the wrong gender for the zip drive. (easy Koop)
I've got an adapter ordered, but, what a pain in the rump.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
It's great to see these things coming down in price.

I still want a 2 TB mirrored drive for my desktop and archives. I'm not enough of a power user anymore to need a NAS for the house, but as my IT guys says, you don't really have your data till you have it in 2 places.

I realized that this weekend when I was trying to hook up my old zip drive to archive some school projects from 13 years ago. I can't access my old zip drive. No parallel port on either my desktop or laptop dock. I've got a USB to parallel adapter cable, but it's the wrong gender for the zip drive. (easy Koop)
I've got an adapter ordered, but, what a pain in the rump.
Wow a Zip drive. Thats sure does take me back. Do you have the 100MB disks?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Memebag, how big a performance increase do you notice with the SSD and your boot time? Are they supernaturally fast? :p

No, really, I want to know.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I would really like to build my PC with only a small drive for the OS and maybe a secondary drive for local stuff like games (or maybe just a second partition would do). All data would ideally be on the NAS. The main reason I keep a data drive in my PC and mirror it to the NAS is so that I can use Carbonite to maintain my offsite backup. Carbonite won't back up stuff from the NAS, only local drives.

Currently I treat the drive in my PC as the master and it is mirrored to the drive in the NAS. Our laptops map drives to the share on the PC and don't maintain any local copies of documents (precaution in case of theft or whatever). I think when I get the new drives up and running I am going to keep all my documents in an encrypted volume using TrueCrypt. I've been meaning to do that for a while but haven't gotten around to it. I don't care about encrypting pictures or music, just my docs which contain personal information.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Memebag, how big a performance increase do you notice with the SSD and your boot time? Are they supernaturally fast? :p

No, really, I want to know.
I got the Intel 80 GB X25M SSD after reading a bunch of reviews. It's fast. I can't say how much slower it would be with a conventional drive since I built the system this way, but it's fast. Win 7 boots in 10 seconds (from post to login).

Everything about this system is fast. I feel like I overbuilt now, since the CPU meter rarely goes above 12%.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I got the Intel 80 GB X25M SSD after reading a bunch of reviews. It's fast. I can't say how much slower it would be with a conventional drive since I built the system this way, but it's fast. Win 7 boots in 10 seconds (from post to login).

Everything about this system is fast. I feel like I overbuilt now, since the CPU meter rarely goes above 12%.
Why just build a computer when you can OVERBUILD it! Give it a year and you won't feel so overbuilt. I'm actually done with building computers. Next time I need a desktop I will just buy a Dell and maybe throw in a better vid card for playing games.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Why just build a computer when you can OVERBUILD it! Give it a year and you won't feel so overbuilt.
I know, I know, everyone tells me that. But my old system used to creak and wheeze when I asked it to do stuff. This one doesn't even seem to notice. I feel disconnected from the machine because stuff happens and it's over before I even notice. Last night I had it playing Civ 5 while recoding DVDs. Both ran at full speed and only one of the four cores was ever in use.

I'm actually done with building computers. Next time I need a desktop I will just buy a Dell and maybe throw in a better vid card for playing games.
I felt like that before I bought my last system. Then I tried to throw in a better vid card and realized the power supply was too small. Then I tried to replace the power supply and realized the case wouldn't hold a standard power supply form factor. By the time I replaced the case, power supply and video card, I realized I would have been better off building the damned thing myself.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Overbuilding is the best future-proofing that you can do.

I'm kind of the same with building machines. I always plan on buying something off the shelf but always end up building form scratch. Although THIS time I want to stick to my plan to buy instead of build!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Overbuilding is the best future-proofing that you can do.

I'm kind of the same with building machines. I always plan on buying something off the shelf but always end up building form scratch. Although THIS time I want to stick to my plan to buy instead of build!
Yep. Overbuilding/buying is the way to go. I didn't have the time to build my last desktop that I bought 3 years ago. It's crazy slow now and it won't handle windows 7. If I would have bought up more I'd be able to get a few more years out of it. Since work gave me a laptop, I don't use it too much anyway, but it would be nice to have a decent machine when I need it.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Yep. Overbuilding/buying is the way to go. I didn't have the time to build my last desktop that I bought 3 years ago. It's crazy slow now and it won't handle windows 7. If I would have bought up more I'd be able to get a few more years out of it. Since work gave me a laptop, I don't use it too much anyway, but it would be nice to have a decent machine when I need it.
That's why I put a 500 gig hard drive and 8 gigs of RAM in my MBP. There nothing wrong with overkill.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The sucky thing for me is that with an office laptop it's hard to justify spending money for a new machine that won't get a lot of use. I'd get more milage out of an ipad.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Ha ha. And I paid $150 for that drive. Now I get get a 1 TB, but I have no need at this point.

I'm just behind the times. ;)
Heh... I always buy whatever size drive is about a hundred bucks. The 2tb will let me simplify and get rid of all the older smaller drives in my pc.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I got all my data consolidated to one of the new drives that I put in my PC. Took almost 24 hours to transfer all the data! I put the other drive in my NAS and it's formatting now. I suppose it'll be another 24 or so hours to mirror my data drive back to the NAS. And now that I've got several good sized SATA drives laying around I ordered one of these today:

Diablotek EN3525D Hard Drive Dock - 2.5/3.5 SATA to USB 2.0 at TigerDirect.com

Should be useful for keeping some stuff backed up in my firesafe (inside some anti-static bags of course!)