6/26 - 6/28: Rip Dr. Sarno And Walk Of Shame

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
He went wrong by saying 700. She would very likely be better than that but it wasn't an outrageous point he was trying to make. Also, huge accolades for him refusing to apologize! Pussy cowering celebs crying and apologizing is annoying and never really honest.

Lets take a look as Serena's exact words from a few years ago when speaking with Letterman:

Good evidence. That would surely hold-up in court.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
While we are on the Serena topic I was wondering about her being so lauded for winning a major while pregnant. It seems to me that playing the very top/most strenuous level of tennis while pregnant can't be all that good for the baby. I could be off about this but I found it odd that she got all this praise for being superwoman after winning that tourney and no one seemed troubled by the decision.

Another point: Is she the best overall athlete of her generation? I would say it's a close race between Brady and Serena for sheer dominance of their sports. And I'd say those two are the best overall athletes since Jordan.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
There are no Periscopes of the walk of shame. :(

There *is* a video of HPE sitting around in NYC, a few blocks south of Central Park where he's plugging his YouTube channel.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Another point: Is she the best overall athlete of her generation? I would say it's a close race between Brady and Serena for sheer dominance of their sports. And I'd say those two are the best overall athletes since Jordan.
Ha! Good thing IRBS doesn't go on this forum, he'd have a meltdown over the Brady mention.

There's a thousand different answers to your "best athlete" question. Starting with just American sports, you have Lebron James, a guy named Michael Phelps, and Simone Biles, plus a bunch of other baseball/ basketball/ football players. Then if you expand to world sports, you have soccer players, and F1 drivers who are among the most fit and highest paid. So I'd just say that Serena is the best female tennis player of her generation, and leave it at that.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ok I now listened to HPE on Tues and I was happy to hear that woman wasn't banging him. It got me thinking though. Would it be worth putting up with HPE and all the insanity that comes with him if it meant that after 3 or 4 months you would get to be on THSS? When he auctions news sit-ins they usually go for at least 15k and often over 20k. I think it might be worth it to me. The only celebs I really love are Howard, Phish and various Eagles players. To get to meet Howard and actually be on the show for a solid hour would be amazing. Maybe amazing enough to deal with HPE.

Ha! Good thing IRBS doesn't go on this forum, he'd have a meltdown over the Brady mention.

There's a thousand different answers to your "best athlete" question. Starting with just American sports, you have Lebron James, a guy named Michael Phelps, and Simone Biles, plus a bunch of other baseball/ basketball/ football players. Then if you expand to world sports, you have soccer players, and F1 drivers who are among the most fit and highest paid. So I'd just say that Serena is the best female tennis player of her generation, and leave it at that.
Yea, as much as I'm no Pats fan you can't deny Brady's greatness.

I forgot about Phelps. Biles is the gymnast right? I think she was on the team with that hot one. Point being that I think of them more as a team than individuals. And of course there are probably tons of soccer players or F1 or cricket or whatever other weird international sports that have stars every bit as bright. I was talking about USA athletes. What makes Phelps, Tiger (I forgot about him but he has to be in the conversation too) and Serena stick out so much is that they are household names and play in sports aside from the 4 main ones that most Americans care about first.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Biles is the gymnast right? Point being that I think of them more as a team than individuals.
She won a lot of individual medals, just sayin'.
"Having won a combined total of nineteen Olympic and World Championship medals, Biles is the most decorated American gymnast, taking over from Shannon Miller, who had held this record since 1993. With four Olympic gold medals, Biles set an American record for most gold medals in women’s gymnastics at a single Games."

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Ok I now listened to HPE on Tues and I was happy to hear that woman wasn't banging him. It got me thinking though. Would it be worth putting up with HPE and all the insanity that comes with him if it meant that after 3 or 4 months you would get to be on THSS? When he auctions news sit-ins they usually go for at least 15k and often over 20k. I think it might be worth it to me. The only celebs I really love are Howard, Phish and various Eagles players. To get to meet Howard and actually be on the show for a solid hour would be amazing. Maybe amazing enough to deal with HPE.

I was just about to bring up the "Stuck on You" stunt, but that was Jeff the Drunk.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
How do you compare a cyclist, a baseball player, a tennis player, or a Formula One driver. You can't.

"Greatest Athlete of All Time" is a drunk barroom debate. Even if you limit it to one sport, it's the same deal. Either that or a filler for a sports talk show.

I would argue a greatest athlete candidate would need to do a few things:

1. Dominate their sport for a fair amount of time.

2. Reset the bar of performance in their sport.

3. Be a consensus-ordained great player.

4. Inspire others to play the sport.

These elements aren't distinct. They are more like workflows going into the next. I would think she qualifies to be in the discussion.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
How do you compare a cyclist, a baseball player, a tennis player, or a Formula One driver. You can't.

"Greatest Athlete of All Time" is a drunk barroom debate. Even if you limit it to one sport, it's the same deal. Either that or a filler for a sports talk show.

I would argue a greatest athlete candidate would need to do a few things:

1. Dominate their sport for a fair amount of time.

2. Reset the bar of performance in their sport.

3. Be a consensus-ordained great player.

4. Inspire others to play the sport.

These elements aren't distinct. They are more like workflows going into the next. I would think she qualifies to be in the discussion.
This reminds me of a story from my childhood. On the last vacation we took as a family (probably 1979), we were having dinner at a ritzy Italian restaurant in Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco. My older brother (the middle child) and my father never got along, they argued about everything.

Somehow, the conversation turned to "who was the greatest athlete". My brother felt that Kareem Abdul-Jabaar was the greatest, but my father insisted it was tennis player Bjorn Borg. They argued, then started yelling, and it ended with them punching each other in the head.

Good times.

Reactions: sadchild and Bark

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Serena has a chance beating the 700th male pro in the world. I wouldn't put money on it because even the 700th best male in the world is an awesome player. In a 3 set match maybe, not a 5 setter. 5 sets is a real slog. If the women want the same pay then play 5 sets.