Aaron's song of the day

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
This is where I heard AGLY Part 2 back in the day: The Smithereens - A Girl Like You

The other non-LP on there "Like Someone In Love" is good.

EDIT: found this on a forum, someone wrote this back in '05

The cassette single version of The Smithereens "A Girl Like You" featured an instrumental version called "A Girl Like You Part II", also known as "the strip club version", and therin lies a tale.

This version is totally different, featuring a bump and grind rhythm, horn section, and no vocals, apart from shouts of the title during the chorus. It was recorded to be used during the original video for "A Girl Like You". The band originally filmed a video for the song that featured them sneaking in to a strip club on the way to a gig, while their manager (played by actor Leon Askin, best known as General Burhalter of "Hogan's Heroes") chases after them, trying to get them out, and back to their own gig. In the strip club, The Smithereens realize that the strip club band is playing their song, and they comandeer the stage to play the normal hit version. Lots of rock video cliches are parodied, enormous stacks of Marshall amps, exagerrated video babes writhing about, rock star poses, the works...all done for laughs. Well, MTV rejected the clip. Called it a "career ending" move, and they wouldn't show it. The Smithereens scrapped the video, and went back to film the tame version you're all familiar with. Then, about a year or two later, Motley Crue basically made the same video, for "Girls, Girls, Girls", though this one wasn't done for laughs, and MTV was all too happy to play that one. Go figure.

Anyway, they did release the song, and eventually it also wound up on their Attack Of The Smithereens rarities collection.

The guy's story is not 100% accurate because "Girls Girls Girls" came out in 1987. And "AGLY" came out in 1989. So take it all with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I'm still looking for it. It's not easy to find.
It's not worth $10 (or ten cents really), but if you don't have this CD and are a Smithereens fan, this collection has it on it.

Reactions: HecticArt

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
Nice to see all the Smithereens chatter. I'm a huge fan, & for years suffered thru what I always called "The Smithereens Curse". Even though I'd been into them since the mid-80's, I never got to see them live, although I DID get to see Pat solo ( & had a nice conversation with him ) back in 2000. Every time they'd come close to where I lived, something would happen that prevented me from going. I must've had a half dozen chances to see them that were thwarted by one thing or another.

But finally, several years ago they played an outdoor show that was part of a local shopping center's Summer concert series. One of those deals where they slap a stage up between a couple stores. Of all the places to see them, that's where I finally did. For free, too! After the show they did a meet & greet, & I got to tell them about the Curse.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I have a similar curse with Royal Blood. Loved them when they appeared on the scene, but both times they came to the US on a headlining tour in smaller clubs, I had something else I HAD to be at that day. Still haven't seen 'em.

As for seeing a band on a 'slapped-up stage', I saw Vertical Horizon (2015, post-peak-era) in the lobby of the hotel we were staying in that night. You'd think hitting #1 on the Hot 100 would've kept you in better venues, even 15 years later, but sadly no.

verticalh.jpg

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
I think Vertical Horizon might have actually played that shopping center a year or 2 after - those "lite alternative" bands were kinda the meat 'n' taters of the summer concert series at that outdoor mall. Not that they were "lite", but the same summer I saw the Smithereens I also saw Urge Overkill there, & got to scratch them off the "favorite bands I never got to see live" list as well.

As far as bands from the UK go, I have an opposite of the "curse" story there. I've been a massive fan of the UK band The Wildhearts since their debut album in 1994. They never really got the chance to crack the US, though, so I figured I'd never get to see 'em live without travelling to England ( & THAT wasn't happening ). At some point, The Darkness got an early break opening for them before they broke big. And when they came to the US for a tour, they returned the favor by having The Wildhearts open for them ( the WH had finally gotten another of their albums "The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed" released Stateside ). So not only did I get to see them on the Darkness KC show, for some reason ( making a few extra $$$ to cover costs, I assume ) the night before that The Wildhearts played the Blue Note in Columbia, MO as part of a weird 3 local band bill. THAT was the first time I got to see them live, right up front. And I got to meet the band earlier in the day. Pretty great unexpected way to see 'em for the first time.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My wife and I have a similar curse with Neil Sedaka. She has been trying to see him for a while. He postponed then cancelled his show last November. We booked his new show in July now that has also been postponed.

My wife and I saw Steely Dan in 2017 about a month before her car accident. Her brain injury from that crash took away the memory of that concert. We were going to see him again this June but that was cancelled.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I never did get to see the Smithereens.

A friend had seen them 5 or 6 times and and always says that they are one of his favorite bands to see live.

He likes to rub it in.

Reactions: sadchild