Adventures In Koopland

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Feb 11, 2017.

1. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

She passed away a while ago.

JHDK likes this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Good luck Koop.

You're a good (35 year old) kid.

JHDK likes this.
  3. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

I had to do a double take on this to make sure I read it right. If his dad's WiFi passed away, it's time to get a new router. :)

Aaron likes this.
  4. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Yes, both his place offers it as part of the monthly fees and he still pays for Comcast WiFi on his own just for me cause it's better for all my TV and movie downloading shenanigans.

You're right, and he currently lives in a place that offers those services. Right now he is in independent living which means he basically lives in a condo like me but has nursing/security/maintenance staff here round the clock if called upon. The next step is OBT which is assisted living. It's between independent and nursing care. It's actually quite nice. It's in a different building in the complex and he would get a private room but instead of only having a nurse when he calls for it, now nurses and aides are making rounds 24/7. He would lose having a kitchen, be monitored if he wanted to leave to play cards or do any of that social stuff he likes and generally be less independent. The step after that is the Willowbrook Court, the nursing home. It's still in the same complex but that place is a huge bummer. For a nice upper-middle class joint my dad is currently in, that nursing facility still sucks. And he would have to share a room. It's more or less a hospital. I guess there is no way to make them all that great no matter your financial standing.

Along with all that the residents are also permitted to hire outside aides/nurses while they are in independent living. Like what Hectic mentioned a few posts back. Some have them come by daily, some have a few of them that are live-in. Lots of the people do that cause no one wants to go to OBT and certainly not the nursing facility. So I figure I'll be Hendrik's hired aide from now on.

For around the last half of 08 my mom got really bad and my dad managed to care for her. She got way worse than I expect the old man to ever get. She was bedridden and he moved a hospital bed into the living room of their condo with these like balloons in the mattress to inflate and deflate at random times to prevent bed sores. He had to do all the really gross stuff that comes with being bedridden and managed to do it all. It was totally due to his efforts that she never even went to OBT and died in her own home in independent living.

And he was 80 when he did all that.

It gives the old man piece of mind to know he won't have to go through the stress of a move.

I certainly think I am capable of doing a less intensive version of what he did for my mom. And that's exactly what I intend to do.

semipenguin and scotchandcigar like this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Sounds like you've got a plan.

Oh, and get the guy a new WiFe if you're going to be a good house guest.

JHDK and Evil_Ernie like this.