Adventures In Koopland

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Hah, you guys are assholes, but also great.
Hey, you started this.

For as common as mixed relationships have gotten in the last 30 years or so, you'd think people wouldn't look twice. It's a shame people still do.

PS
Don't EVER sing Swing Low Sweet Chariot.
No sir.
Don't sing it.
Ever.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
as common as mixed relationships have gotten in the last 30 years or so
To be serious for a sec (uncommon for me I know) I thought it was way longer than that. 30 years puts us at 1990. I really thought it was totally accepted and normal since the 70's. Maybe I'm misguided.

I just looked it up. It's been Supreme Court legal since '67. And apparently a bunch of states made it legal way before that.

This makes we wonder about gay people today. That has only been Supreme Court legal for 5 years. This was a look that led to a bit of a discussion on the drive home, I can't imagine what they must have to go through.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
People did have those relationships for sure, but I remember in the 80's being aware of couples getting shit for being together.
My buddies uncle and his wife got a lot of crap in the 80's. A friend of mine in the late 80's got some crap for having a white girlfriend.
In the early 90's I asked a girl out and she said that her family wouldn't handle it well if she came home with a white guy.
It was either that, or the ogre thing...... Damn that ogre stigma!!!!!!

It seems to me that things have been improving for couples since the 90's, but like your girl pointed out, people still notice.

Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think you got to realize that just because its legal doesn't mean its universally accepted. Also in the last 3 years a lot of what was hidden in America has come to the surface. The assholes are more bold and open now.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So I think I've mentioned that the pretty lady is Haitian
If you did, I totally missed it.
I think you got to realize that just because its legal doesn't mean its universally accepted. Also in the last 3 years a lot of what was hidden in America has come to the surface. The assholes are more bold and open now.
Without getting all political, I'm guessing it has more to do with being from a "shit-hole" country (not my words) than being black. I remember that after 9/11, black people would joke that they're no longer #1 on the "feared and ostracized" list. I think that today, people who look similar to the majority of illegal immigrants have moved up on the list.

I don't think it's a problem for most people nowadays, and for those who have a problem, F them. But it's naive to expect no one to have a reaction; that's human nature.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
I can't comment, because Koop excuses me of being a racist. All I did dip Taco Bell fries in ketchup? Now dipping in nacho cheese that racist and could give somebody to think of while staring at them.

• Haha

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I can't comment, because Koop excuses me of being a racist. All I did dip Taco Bell fries in ketchup? Now dipping in nacho cheese that racist and could give somebody to think of while staring at them.
You're basically a klansman.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
it's naive to expect no one to have a reaction; that's human nature.
You're right. I'm naive about lots of stuff, guess this is just another example. But I'll learn.

it has more to do with being from a "shit-hole" country
Well, if we are being honest, Haiti isn't a great nation thanks to a government that's a mess and has been for a long while. The girl has talked about visiting at some point and brought up how it may be a good idea to hire security. That certainly makes me nervous.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Well, if we are being honest, Haiti isn't a great nation thanks to a government that's a mess and has been for a long while. The girl has talked about visiting at some point and brought up how it may be a good idea to hire security. That certainly makes me nervous.
You'll get no argument from me there. There are a lot of impoverished, dangerous places in the world. Even several of my friends who frequent Jamaica say they wouldn't dare stray from the resort. But that shouldn't be a reason to look down on, fear, or discriminate against Americans who have emigrated from those countries. Hell, some of the non-shit-hole countries have started world wars and committed genocide. All I'm saying is that today's anti-immigration rhetoric may cause you two to stand-out more among certain groups of people.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
that shouldn't be a reason to look down on, fear, or discriminate against Americans who have emigrated from those countries.
I agree. So long as the people who emigrate do it legally and are citizens or are working to become citizens.

Hell, some of the non-shit-hole countries have started world wars and committed genocide.
I agree with you there too. One of those countries tried to starve my dad to death.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Do you think those that are staring can actually tell what countries the different brown people they are looking at come from? I think that's giving them too much credit.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Do you think those that are staring can actually tell what countries the different brown people they are looking at come from? I think that's giving them too much credit.
To group everyone in as racist is naive, like Scotch said. I think it makes it too simple to say the racists are are dumb fucks. They have an agenda, they have minds, we must fight against it.

I'm a conservative, I love America and all she stands for. I really don't like these assholes and their nonsense.

Hate is dumb. People are people. Everyone has a right to make their voice heard.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I hate dumb people.

Also, I didn't necessarily say that they were racist. My contention is that if they are the sorts that are taken aback by an interracial couple, they probably aren't sharp enough to see anything more than a brown person with a pasty ogre. I doubt they can tell what country either person is from.

Statistically, racists tend to be less educated than non-racists.

So I guess what I'm saying is that that racists are dumb.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
a brown person with a pasty ogre. I doubt they can tell what country either person is from.
If it was a pastry ogre, that would be Danish for sure. ;)

I don't know how tuned-in Floridians are to the general appearance of Haitian refugees vs other people of color. But I think it's possible that some people may be flashing their anti-immigration look. Or maybe not. Around here, we have communities of Dominicans (with some very fine-looking women) that I can generally distinguish as such from other african-americans.

Again, none of that matters at all to your situation, but it's nice to be aware that this is something she's had to deal with.

Reactions: HecticArt