Adventures In Koopland

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I don't see any differences between Disney and the DMV. They both have long lines, quite a few foreigners visit the place and they have rides. At the DMV you can go along for a test ride and drive.

So have fun Koop at the happiest place on Earth at the DMV.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The happiest place on Earth is inside you, Koop. Let go of attachment and desire. Welcome each instant as a gift from the universe. Experience everything as fully as you can without judgement. You have the glorious good fortune to be sentient.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Try this to pass the time.
FLM01425_1024x1024.jpg

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
This was my happiest place on Earth, Koop and I use to have a great time down there.

6197924-6391065-image-a-16_1542239782817.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
This feels good:

8hLPuAI.jpg

It took 3 days to correct a mistake that was, for once, not my fault. Well really 5 days but for the first 2 I was in ignorant bliss not knowing I was driving suspended.

I walked into the DMV at 10:05 yesterday and was helped at 12:50. A really fun 2:45 wait time. The combined wait time to go on Flight of Passage and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (2 of the current most popular rides) was less than my stint at the DMV yesterday.

Whatever, I'm glad it's over with and I was able to take care of it relatively quickly.

I have to work next Friday but now I'm looking forward to 11.30 when I will legally drive back to the parks.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The happiest place on Earth is inside you, Koop. Let go of attachment and desire. Welcome each instant as a gift from the universe. Experience everything as fully as you can without judgement. You have the glorious good fortune to be sentient.

That's a nice existential turn of phrase but while I was sitting there I thought multiple times about how I truly hated every single person in that waiting room, including myself. So I guess I fully experienced hatred, but there was a whole lot of judgment going on too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That's a nice existential turn of phrase but while I was sitting there I thought multiple times about how I truly hated every single person in that waiting room, including myself. So I guess I fully experienced hatred, but there was a whole lot of judgment going on too.

It's kind of a weird miracle that DMVs are not a popular target of those mass shooting spree guys you guys have down there.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So I think this week is shaping up to be much better than last.

Our Team Lead (TL) at work is leaving. This is the woman I've talked about before who I like but was planing that mutiny against our Project Manager (PM) that I wanted nothing to do with. Anyway the PM sent out an email to 4 of 13 of us asking if any of us were interested in filling her spot and I jumped at the chance.

That was Monday. Then yesterday when I got into work the PM came to me and said she scheduled the conference room for us and the supervisor (the boss position in between PM and TL) for tomorrow when I get in. She implied that it wasn't anything bad so I assumed it had to do with giving me the position. Then like an hour later the current TL got a major migraine and had to leave in an ambulance. That was nuts. But it worked out for me because after she was gone the PM came to me and asked me to act as the TL for the rest of the shift. That was actually really cool. It was good to be thrown right into the position and not given time to think about it and get all worked up. I think I did a pretty good job, not perfect but a solid outing for my first go at it.

This is a bit of an aside but all the agents on my account left at 8 pm. There are usually 3 of us after that. With the current TL in the hospital and the 3rd agent not there because she just resigned last week, that made me the only person running the whole account from 8-11. It was fine, no major issues and I think it shows that the PM had faith in me to handle it. The really weird/cool thing is that the other account we share the office space with leaves at 10 pm. So for the last hour of my shift, from 10-11, I was the only person in this giant room that seats like 150 agents. It was neat.

Anyway, nothing is set yet and now that I'm talking about it I've probably jinxed it but all signs seem to be pointing to me getting this promotion and that's great! I'm excited to see what happens today. I've only been with the company for 5 months now and I've only been permanent for 2 so this is a major step in the right direction occurring rather quickly. Also, I know what the current TL makes and if I get that bump it will be about a 12% raise. That's pretty solid. (More money to waste on watches and Disney.) I still won't be making what I was at my last gig but I will now be getting close.

And I'll be a boss. The lowest rung of boss yes, but still a boss!

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I have to go to dinner with a bunch of my coworkers in 30 mins and I'm not looking forward to it. Today is my only day off this week and I want to stick to my normal routine of doing nothing.

But I have no way out of it. The Team Lead that I replaced (I got the promotion btw/I'll talk more about that later) pretty much put it together as her own going away party. A bunch of the people I started with will be there and a few of the new employees too. I already backed out of the last coworker dinner and now that I'm newly in charge of these people I don't see any way I can also bail on this one.

Whatever, I'm sure it will be fine. Maybe even nice, but I still would rather not go.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Congrats! (You get the ulations later....)

Suck it up and go. Since you're stepping into a role that you're going to be telling some of these people what to do, I think it's OK to duck out a little early to let the underlings have fun without the PM watching over them. Hang out long enough to be personable, show that you're not going to become an a-hole, but not so long that they start to get drunk and think that you're going to be their best friend or a push-over.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It's been (one week since you looked at me) a wild few weeks and since I seem to use DRC to blog my entire life these days, let's run it down.

As I briefly mentioned, I wound up getting the promotion. What I wasn't expecting (but I guess I should have) was my Project Manager full-on interviewed me before giving me the position. She had a bunch of questions and I think I did a pretty solid job answering them on the fly. Anyway I got the gig in the room and that was cool.

IDK if I'd say the transition has been more stressful than I was expecting or probably just different. First off I got it right at the start of our busiest 3 weeks of the year. Since I'm a new manager I pretty much have to say yes to anything the PM asks. That means 3 weeks ago my schedule changed and I did 6 OT hours. Last week was nuts and I did 28 OT hours. This week is probably the last week of OT and I just finished an extra 15 hours. Now I'm very happy to be getting the extra pay but oh boy that 68 hour week was a lot.

So, besides all the hours, there are also some weird things going on. First off it's odd to now be in charge of 4 people I trained with and have worked side by side with for the past 3 months. They've been cool though. I've only gotten push-back from one, where I kinda had to put my foot down to get her to do something the way I thought was right when she disagreed. It was fine though. There are also 7 new people and dealing with them is cool because they more or less only know me as a manager since I got the gig a day after they started.

The neat part is that now the PM and Supervisor include me in the decision making. Of the 7 newbies, only 3 will be kept and I had 2 suggestions and both those people are being kept. So that's cool.

On the other hand, I often think I don't know what I'm doing. I know this isn't exactly chemistry or whatever but it's been interesting having to solve everyone's problems on the spot. For the most part I think I've done well. So far there have only been a few instances where the PM had to coach me on the right answers.

Here is the dynamic; I answer all the agent's questions and if I can't I take it to the TM or Supervisor and then relay their answers back to the agents. Some agents have attempted to go straight to them and I've been doing my best to nip that in the bud so I am the only one who bothers the higher ups. Also, those 2 seem to know so much more than me it's kinda intimidating. I assume with a few more week/months under my belt I'll be on more solid footing but at times these past few weeks it's felt weird. Then again, they already have me doing more than the last TM did so I guess they have more faith in me.

Also I got a pretty big raise...bigger than I was expecting and more than what the previous TM made so that's awesome! Interesting though is that it hasn't taken effect yet. The PM told me that it will be retroactively paid out starting 2 weeks ago so at some point I'm going to get a huge check. I'm making sure I keep track of this now because who knows how long it's going to take and I want to be positive I get what I'm owed.

So there is a semi-coherent, 3:40 am ramble about my new position. There have been some bumps in the road but everything seems to be going well enough and I'm happy with my new gig.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
ulations!

Trust me. Most PM's don't really know what they are doing at first either.

OT is nice! I miss it. At my old job, when I got promoted to PM, I got changed over to salary with no OT. There were bonuses though. At my current job, there's no OT and bonuses are rare, but the base pay makes up for it. I'm not sure what things will be like when I take a new job. (I've had a few promising interviews, & hope to know something soon.)

How was the party?
Did you stay long? Avoid the booze?