AJ's MLB Trivia

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
How about Johan Santana. Had a lot of great performances with the Twins in the 2004-2006 timeframe, including a couple Cy Youngs.

Good guess, but not him. Think a little more obscure than a guy like Santana.

Another hint...he won a World Series this decade.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Alright well I'm out until Monday, so I'll just tell you the answer is Mark Buehrle. He has thrown five two-hitters or better since 2001, including a no-hitter in 2007.

Hope everyone has a nice Fourth of July :party::purpbanana:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Alright well I'm out until Monday, so I'll just tell you the answer is Mark Buehrle. He has thrown five two-hitters or better since 2001, including a no-hitter in 2007.

Hope everyone has a nice Fourth of July :party::purpbanana:

Not to pull a Quivers, but his name rolled around for half a beat before I excused it. I went through every team and couldn't come up with it.

DAMN!!!!!:(

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
New question, All-Star Game related...

The Indians and White Sox are the only two teams with no former players* on either All-Star roster. The Astros, my rooting interest, have three former players who are All-Stars this year (Ben Zobrist, Johan Santana, and Carlos Beltran).

Which leads me to my question. The Toronto Blue Jays have the most former players on the All-Star rosters this season with five. Can you name the players? (Hint...one left as a free agent, two were traded, and two didn't sign after being drafted)

*former players are players who left an organization via free agency, trade, release, Rule V, or didn't sign after being drafted.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
New question, All-Star Game related...

The Indians and White Sox are the only two teams with no former players* on either All-Star roster. The Astros, my rooting interest, have three former players who are All-Stars this year (Ben Zobrist, Johan Santana, and Carlos Beltran).

Which leads me to my question. The Toronto Blue Jays have the most former players on the All-Star rosters this season with five. Can you name the players? (Hint...one left as a free agent, two were traded, and two didn't sign after being drafted)

*former players are players who left an organization via free agency, trade, release, Rule V, or didn't sign after being drafted.

Ted Lilly
Orlando Hudson

I don't recognize any other names. I suspect they were not big names when they were traded. Or were forgettable as Blue Jays.

Reactions: AJ_II

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Ted Lilly
Orlando Hudson

I don't recognize any other names. I suspect they were not big names when they were traded. Or were forgettable as Blue Jays.

Yes, Lilly left as a free agent for the Cubs, and Hudson was traded to Arizona.

If IdRatherBeSkiing can't get this one, being the resident Blue Jay fan, I guess I'll have to give the rest...

Michael Young - traded before he made it up to the big league roster

Brad Hawpe - drafted by Toronto, but didn't sign

Ryan Franklin - drafted by Toronto, but didn't sign

New questions, and you can take a shot at one of them, two of them, or all of them...

In the current decade (2000-present), who has the most doubles? The most triples? The most stolen bases? (Hint...different player for each question)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
No guesses huh? I think maybe this thread has run its course.

Here are the answers, just in case you were wondering...

2000's doubles leader - Todd Helton with 418

2000's triples leader - Jimmy Rollins with 91

2000's stolen bases leader - Juan Pierre with 452

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
Let's keep it going. I'll do one for my team.

Since 1970, 3 Cincinnati Reds pitchers have won 20 or more games. Name them. No cheating. GoReds should be able to get this without cheating.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Tom Browning and Danny Jackson during the Marge Schott years (late 80s). Drawing a blank on the third - I don't think he came from the "big red machine" run.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Jim Merritt, and he did it with a 4.08 ERA. He must of had some kind of run support.

ERA can be deceiving. Jack Morris won 20 in 1992 with a pretty high ERA. But he got some of his wins because he kept the game from getting completely out of hand and gobbling up enough innings to stick around for the comeback. That type of pitcher is rare in today's baseball. Most get pulled when they give up a couple of runs and if a comeback happens, the W goes to the bullpen. Now, to win 20 you probably do have to have a good ERA. Then, not necessarly.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
Storm Davis won 19 games for the 89 Oakland A's with an ERA under league average for that season. Basically, he was a slightly below average pitcher that season and still won 19.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
ERA can be deceiving. Jack Morris won 20 in 1992 with a pretty high ERA. But he got some of his wins because he kept the game from getting completely out of hand and gobbling up enough innings to stick around for the comeback. That type of pitcher is rare in today's baseball. Most get pulled when they give up a couple of runs and if a comeback happens, the W goes to the bullpen. Now, to win 20 you probably do have to have a good ERA. Then, not necessarly.

I see what you're saying, but to me, I think you have it backwards. ERA is always a good indicator of how good a pitcher is, while win totals can be the deceiving stat. In 1970 when Jim Merritt had 20 wins with an ERA over 4.00, the Reds were tied for second in the MLB in run support given to starting pitchers (4.9). Merritt himself got 5.1 runs in games he started. Say Merritt was on an average or below average team that year...no way he's getting 20 wins.

The case you gave with Jack Morris in '92...his run support was 5.6 that season!

Yes, these guys may keep the games within reach, but you still need to have a potent offense behind you in order to come back.

Tim Wakefield is tied for the MLB lead in wins so far this season (11) with a 4.31 ERA. It's not a coincidence that Boston is 4th in the MLB in runs scored. Wakefield doesn't have 11 wins on the Padres, or the Mariners, or the Giants, etc.