AJ's MLB Trivia

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Willy Tavares.

j/k...he blows.

Uh.....new team.....likely old guy....Sheffield already been named.....

Pudge?

Willy T had a really good rookie year here in Houston during their World Series season (finished 2nd to Ryan Howard for Rookie of the Year). But he hasn't done much since.

Anyway...Pudge is correct. Ivan Rodriguez has 42 four-hit games in his career, most among active players. Ichiro Suzuki will probably overtake him fairly soon as he's only two behind. You might be able to guess the all-time leader fairly easily...Pete Rose had 73 four-hit games in his career, 11 more than second place (Molitor and Boggs).

Who has the most HR and RBI after turning 40? (hint...it's the same guy for both)

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Darrell Evans definitely "out of the box", but actually a pretty good guess. Evans hit 67 HR's after turning 40, just five behind the leader. Although he's not as close with the RBI's (202, which is 80 short).

Bonds is 13 short in HR's and not really close with the RBI's.

Another hint...he played for two teams in his career, both in the American League.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
I am guessing Joe Carter but I think he played for 3 teams. (Cubs, Indians, Jays) :confused:

Carter also spent a year with the Padres before going to Toronto. And he played his last game at 38.

Carter is also known to be famous by stat geeks for having one of the worst seasons ever when knocking in over 100 runs (his year with the Padres). His line that year was .232/.290/.391 for an OPS of .681, which was under league average for that season.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Fisk?

(I like how you threw in another "Pudge" question) :)

The hint kind of gives it away.

I'd like to say I meant to do back-to-back "Pudge" questions, but I didn't...just a coincidence. But yes, Carlton Fisk is right. He had 72 HR's and 282 RBI after turning 40.

I'll try to word this next question as well as I can...

Tim Lincecum and Roy Oswalt both pitched complete game 2-hitters on Monday night. It was Lincecum's first 2-hitter or better, and it was Oswalt's third, putting him 6th on the list of most two-hit or better complete games since 2001 (Oswalt's rookie year). Who are the two guys who have thrown five or more CG two-hitters or better since 2001?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I think Randy Johnson would have the Nat League...

I can't think of the American League guy...

Reactions: AJ_II

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Randy Johnson is correct. He has thrown 6 two-hitters or better since 2001, including a perfect game in 2004.

Sabathia would not be correct, however. I'll throw out a better hint tomorrow if no one can get the AL guy, but for now, he's probably someone who would not immediately come to mind.