Albums You Had Forgotten About

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The recent favorite songs threads have unearthed some songs that I used to like and had forgotten about.
A few days ago the internet at work went down so I dove into my MP3 collection and scrolled to a sort of random spot in the folder and looked for the first band I hadn't listened to in a long time.

I found a band from the late 80's that I used to love. Rock, a little pop, not quite hair, but most of them had the hair, and just a little cheese.
I listened to the whole album and realized I still love it.

It made me think that we must all have forgotten favorite albums that either still work for us, or we can't believe we used to listen to.

With that, I give you a band I always thought was Canadian. Turns out they were from Boston / New York.

Diving For Pearls.
Self titled debut

I found the album on Youtube, and was going to just post the whole thing, but the video for their single, Gimme Your Good Lovin, is too funny not to share first.

The last song kinda cooks.

What forgotten gems or stinkers did you used to listen to a lot back in the day?

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
@HecticArt I think it's a great thread idea. I can come up with a ton of artists, albums & songs I once listened to a lot, then forget, then remembered years later.

That Diving For Pearls song sounds vaguely familiar, like I probably heard it once or twice then never again. It screams 1990 (did i get the year right?). I actually still dig it, kinda like how I still kinda dig Trixter "One In A Million" and Nelson "Can't Live Without Your Lovin' Erection" (or something like that).

I wanted to stay and post longer but I have to run and do something that just fell onto my lap, but I'll be back to contribute.

Oh, and Diving For Pearls as a name. How dirty! I love it. #cunninglinguist

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If we have forgotten about an album, how do we remember to list it here?
I don’t know if I’m disappointed, or glad that you took the bait.......

Skim through your archives, or god forbid, think about it a bit.
A few of the favorites threads posts reminded me of a few forgotten bands.
@HecticArt I think it's a great thread idea. I can come up with a ton of artists, albums & songs I once listened to a lot, then forget, then remembered years later.

That Diving For Pearls song sounds vaguely familiar, like I probably heard it once or twice then never again. It screams 1990 (did i get the year right?). I actually still dig it, kinda like how I still kinda dig Trixter "One In A Million" and Nelson "Can't Live Without Your Lovin' Erection" (or something like that).

I wanted to stay and post longer but I have to run and do something that just fell onto my lap, but I'll be back to contribute.

Oh, and Diving For Pearls as a name. How dirty! I love it. #cunninglinguist
The album was 1989. That’s close enough for a prize from the second shelf.
Their follow up album didn’t do very well, and I think that was pretty much it for them.

Nelson - that’s almost a forgotten band. Back in the day, I had picked up their cassette. I was still in my band with my high school friends and got it because their harmonies were great. Flash forward 15 odd (very odd) years, and the Mrs spotted the cassette in my archives. She takes joy from reminding me about that one.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don’t know if I’m disappointed, or glad that you took the bait.......

Skim through your archives, or god forbid, think about it a bit.
A few of the favorites threads posts reminded me of a few forgotten bands.
When I found my old cassettes, I have already found some forgotten songs and I posted them in my top 20 thread. If I really want forgotten, I would have to go through my pre-recorded cassettes and LPs or my 45s.

Thinking is too hard.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Great thread idea! I have many albums that I bought for a reason, but they got lost in my mind over the decades. Just off the top of my head, here are a few.

Animal Logic was a supergroup formed by Police drummer Stewart Copeland, bassist Stanley Clarke, and singer Deborah Holland. They released a self-titled album in '89 with this song on it.

Back in '81, I heard this song by a band named Hawks, and I bought the album, thinking there'd be some good stuff on it. There wasn't. They sound a bit like The Cars.

For some reason, in the same year, I became a champion for the band Novo Combo. I thought they were going somewhere, and I bought both of their releases. They had a couple of songs that made the radio, including Tattoo, and Up Periscope (which sounds very Police-like)

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Animal Logic was a supergroup formed by Police drummer Stewart Copeland, bassist Stanley Clarke, and singer Deborah Holland.
I wondered how Stewart Copeland kept himself busy after the Police broke up, aside from cashing monstrous royalty checks of course.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Realization moment today for me. You guys all appear to have listened to lots of albums when you were younger, whereas I was the kid "raised on radio".

So I know tons of hits from 1955 through the early 90's, but only started listening to classic albums (by big name artists) and deeper cuts in the last 20 years or so, as a lot of the hits started getting too repetitive for me.

So I really don't have any forgotten albums to contribute to this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Great thread idea!
Thanks!
Animal Logic was a supergroup formed by Police drummer Stewart Copeland, bassist Stanley Clarke, and singer Deborah Holland. They released a self-titled album in '89 with this song on it.
I loved Animal Logic! That's a great collection of talent right there. I listened to that cassette a lot back in the day.
I don't think I ever got the CD though. I need to check.
Whenever they mention Santa Anna winds on weather forecasts, I think of that album.
I need to dig that one up.
Aside from Bella Fleck and Danny Gatton, that's as close as I get to listening to country.
So I really don't have any forgotten albums to contribute to this thread.
It can just be forgotten artists or songs too. I had some mix tapes like IRBS waaaaay back in the day that had stuff that's been long forgotten.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Forgotten song:

Meco "Ewok Celebration" (1983)

Loved this back in junior high school and listened to it all the time because I was a huge Star Wars fan. I listened to it too much actually. My friends kept asking me to play it on my mixtape beyond my tolerance, so little immature "I'll show them" me got so sick of being asked to play it I erased it. I didn't hear it again until the 2000s.

As an adult, I don't think it's a good song at all. It actually sucks. But I was glad to find it again after erasing it, then never being able to find it again for 20+ years, if only for the nostalgia value.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have been thinking about albums I used to listen to. The most common ones that I remember are the ones on cassette. That is primarily because the medium kinda sucked for a pre-recorded medium. Great for mix tapes.

But there are 2 that I remember listening to a lot in those days that are now "forgotten". Others such as "The Wall" by Pink Floyd haven't really been forgotten.

1. Purple Rain.
This came up in another thread. I used to listen to this cassette. I haven't really forgotten that Prince did this. I listen to 2 of the songs pretty regularly. But I had forgotten most of the rest of the album. But thinking about it, I then remembered a really racy track on it. I had to look it up but here it is.

2. Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply - Slade
I remember listening to this whole cassette. The first 2 songs were great but the rest of the album had solid stuff in it.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Shoulda mentioned that I am pretty sure that cheesy "Ewok" song I posted was the first time I ever heard someone rap. I was really impressed back then, I just liked the concept of rapping instead of singing. Now I see it's total garbage - not even a real language.

Interesting that the rapper on "Ewok" is Duke Bootee, who rapped "Don't push me 'cuz I'm close to the edge. I'm trying not to lose my head. It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from going under" on the classic jam "The Message" just a year earlier. This was a considerable step down!

@IdRatherBeSkiing Ah "Darling Nikki" - one of the PMRC's filthy fifteen!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Shoulda mentioned that I am pretty sure that cheesy "Ewok" song I posted was the first time I ever heard someone rap. I was really impressed back then, I just liked the concept of rapping instead of singing. Now I see it's total garbage - not even a real language.

Interesting that the rapper on "Ewok" is Duke Bootee, who rapped "Don't push me 'cuz I'm close to the edge. I'm trying not to lose my head. It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from going under" on the classic jam "The Message" just a year earlier. This was a considerable step down!

@IdRatherBeSkiing Ah "Darling Nikki" - one of the PMRC's filthy fifteen!
My first rap song I ever heard:

I just watched the video. How very 70s.

My second with the world's worst rap:

I actually like both songs.

What is a PMRC?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Nelson - that’s almost a forgotten band. Back in the day, I had picked up their cassette.
Nelson was Matthew and Gunnar Nelson, the sons of Rick Nelson and the grandsons of Ozzie Nelson. The Nelsons are the only family in musical history to have three generations with a number-one hit. Nelson's first single, Love & Affection, went to number one in September 1990. Rick had topped the chart with Poor Little Fool in 1958 and Travelin' Man in 1961. Ozzie had 17 top-ten hits in the 1930s, including And Then Some, which went to number one in August 1935.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Forgotten Song:

Paul Lekakis "Boom Boom (Let's Go Back To My Room)"

If "YMCA", "I Will Survive", "I'm Coming Out", "It's Raining Men" "I'm Too Sexy" and "Supermodel (You Better Work)" need another song on their playlist, here it is. It's a guilty pleasure. I heard it a couple times back in '86 or '87 and thought it was a fun little dance jam, then didn't hear it for years - maybe a decade? I saw a CD single of it one day and bought it (then ripped it to MP3). I listen to it once a year maybe? And shake my little tush on the catwalk.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
My first rap song I ever heard:

I just watched the video. How very 70s.

My second with the world's worst rap:

I actually like both songs.

What is a PMRC?
Parents Music Resource Center. They were big in the 80's, advocating censorship of music and other forms of media. They're at least partially responsible for the Explicit Lyrics warnings you see on album covers.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
These are the songs Tipper and her mom squad determined were destroying the youth of America back in '85

1 Prince "Darling Nikki" Sex/Masturbation
2 Sheena Easton "Sugar Walls" Sex
3 Judas Priest "Eat Me Alive" Sex/Violence
4 Vanity "Strap On 'Robbie Baby'" Sex
5 Mötley Crüe "Bastard" Violence/Language
6 AC/DC "Let Me Put My Love Into You" Sex
7 Twisted Sister "We're Not Gonna Take It" Violence
8 Madonna "Dress You Up" Sex
9 W.A.S.P. "Animal (Fuck Like a Beast)" Sex/Language/Violence
10 Def Leppard "High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night)" Drug and alcohol use
11 Mercyful Fate "Into the Coven" Occult
12 Black Sabbath "Trashed" Drug and alcohol use