All Things Amazon

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
didn't quite know where to put this thread. since there are so many parts of amazon it could fit in a bunch of our forums so i figured i'd post it here.

anyway, i know i'm late to the party but i love prime these days and especially the new prime reading feature they just added. as of a week ago they now give you a small rotating selection (something like 1000) of books and magazines for free. i was never really interested in signing up for another monthly service like kindle unlimited but this prime reading has hooked me.

i like this feature the fire has known as word runner. it is where they take whatever book you are reading and feed it to ya word by word. it can be set anywhere from 100-900 per minute. i find 200 works well for me and i'm not sure but i think i read faster this way. its a neat tool/gimmick.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Amazon can bite my foot.

I ordered a bottle of cleaner for my guitars from Amazon. It was supposed to be good stuff.

I placed the order and 4 or 5 days later it shows up. They used a packing envelope that was torn open and cleaner was leaking out onto my porch. So I sent it back and have to wash the rest of my porch so that it matches the clean spot.

They shipped a second bottle that never made it to my house because it was damaged......

I sent them a message saying that I would still like the product. I knew I was in trouble when I saw a packing envelope waiting. I started laughing when I picked up another damp package. Now I have to wash the other half of my mailbox.....

Amazon wanted to send me a refund and be done with it. I wouldn't let them off of the hook. It blows my mind that some clown couldn't figure out the first time that packing envelopes, bottles of liquid, and trucks full of heavy boxes aren't a good mix.

They actually had to "open an investigation to understand what went wrong"....... I'm shocked.

They said it could take a week to finish the investigation. I guess they have to dust the warehouse for stoopid.... They wanted me to place the order again myself, but I told them that they need to make it right and send it on their own.

So rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.

It took 8 bottles being shipped to get one bottle to me undamaged.
That's 7 returns, or enough shipping to send 15 bottles through the mail.

Amazon still hasn't learned how to package the stuff. I will never order a bottle of liquid from them again. It amazes me that they can't figure this out. It must have cost them more than $100 in shipping alone, and lost product cost them close to $80.00. All to get one $11 product delivered. They could have spent $1.50 more to put it in a box the first time and everything would have been fine.

At least my mailbox smells nice.....

Amazon can bite it.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Amazon can bite my foot.

I ordered a bottle of cleaner for my guitars from Amazon. It was supposed to be good stuff.

I placed the order and 4 or 5 days later it shows up. They used a packing envelope that was torn open and cleaner was leaking out onto my porch. So I sent it back and have to wash the rest of my porch so that it matches the clean spot.

They shipped a second bottle that never made it to my house because it was damaged......

I sent them a message saying that I would still like the product. I knew I was in trouble when I saw a packing envelope waiting. I started laughing when I picked up another damp package. Now I have to wash the other half of my mailbox.....

Amazon wanted to send me a refund and be done with it. I wouldn't let them off of the hook. It blows my mind that some clown couldn't figure out the first time that packing envelopes, bottles of liquid, and trucks full of heavy boxes aren't a good mix.

They actually had to "open an investigation to understand what went wrong"....... I'm shocked.

They said it could take a week to finish the investigation. I guess they have to dust the warehouse for stoopid.... They wanted me to place the order again myself, but I told them that they need to make it right and send it on their own.

Amazon still hasn't learned how to package the stuff. I will never order a bottle of liquid from them again. It amazes me that they can't figure this out. It must have cost them more than $100 in shipping alone, and lost product cost them close to $80.00. All to get one $11 product delivered. They could have spent $1.50 more to put it in a box the first time and everything would have been fine.

Amazon can bite it.
Really? Wow I've never had an issue with Amazon. I always get my shipments in 2 days if they are the company that ships it. I've even got stuff delivered on Sunday that I order on Friday sometimes. I have prime so free 2 day shipping.

I buy tons of shit from Amazon.

Reactions: greenearth

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It totally blows my mind that they can't just adjust a computer entry that tells them to put that item in a box. I just saw a clip of their automated robot warehouses that do most of the work, but damn.

They usually do a decent job.

Reactions: blyons200

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It totally blows my mind that they can't just adjust a computer entry that tells them to put that item in a box. I just saw a clip of their automated robot warehouses that do most of the work, but damn.

They usually do a decent job.

that is a nightmare story. i've never bought liquids from amazon but of the stuff i have bought it was all packaged properly.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Usually stuff is over packaged.

This became a social experiment to see how long it would take them to get it right.
They never got it right, but the law of averages finally got one bottle to me in tact.

I'm not confident about ordering liquids from Amazon in the future. I certainly won't do it if time is important.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
now that i discovered this word runner feature on the fire i'm reading like a mad man. i set it at 275 to sometimes 300 words per minute and can finish a book in just a couple days. albeit i read mostly trash novels, it's still a whole lot faster than i have ever read before. i've been keeping track of what i read. i rate the books on a 1-5 scale, check it out:

October 2016

10.11 Pines - Blake Crouch (2012) 4

10.13 Wayward - Blake Crouch (2013) 3.5

10.15 The Last Town - Blake Crouch (2014) 4

10.16 The Circle - Dave Eggers (2013) 4.5

10.23-10.25 Cyberstorm - Matthew Mather (2013) 2

10.26 This Dark Earth - John Hornor Jacobs (2012) 5

10.29-11.12 Leviathan Wakes - James S. A. Corey (2011) 2

November 2016

11.12 The Jakarta Pandemic - Steven Konkoly (2013)

amazon has me right where they want me. i read amazon kindle books on an amazon fire while listening to amazon prime music in the background. hah.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I tried that word reading thing. I can't read that way. I read phrases at a time, not words. If I just read word after word nothing sticks.

yea, i was talking to my dad about this. it's neat how different people have such different ways to process reading. he was telling me the same thing as you, that he much prefers the whole page, or at least a paragraph, in front of him at once. for me the word runner thing has been a godsend, it just makes me enjoy reading more than ever.

of that list i posted above note how Leviathan Wakes took me almost 2 weeks to get through when all the other are like 2 or 3 days. that's cause that book didn't offer the word runner feature.

now, like i said, i have only been reading grocery store type novels so its easy to plow through them. i doubt the word runner would work well for something like a textbook or a serious piece of literature.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Amazon can bite my foot.

Amazon can bite it.

I'm late to this discussion, but what are you doing to your guitars that requires special cleaner?

I told you not to play that chord. It's Satan's chord.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The 2 Reverends that I picked up have satin finishes.
That stuff was recommended to keep the matte looking matte and not get it clogged up and glossy.

The cleaner seems to work nicely, but Amazon has no freaking clue how to ship a bottle.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Canceled Prime a while back. The video service didn't really have a better selection than Netflix (and it's not on Apple TV), and I found I wasn't buying much to justify keeping it. Last big purchase was a TV and it had to be sent back for a replacement because the screen was shattered.

I'll just start purchasing locally. Lots of places around here have websites that you can purchase online and pick up at the store or have it delivered. That's a lot easier for me, and I don't have to pay $99 a year.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'd rather support the locals when I can anyway. Genuine local first, then big box local second.

why? i never get why people like to hear "locally grown" about produce. if its fresh and tastes good whats the difference? now i understand and often agree that its better to buy "made in the usa" and i also get it that its nice to support smaller companies (though i dont really care about that, to me the best price will almost always win out) but who cares if it comes from washington state or hawaii or alaska or my hometown?

now there is a bigger discussion about how it sucks that stuff like apple products are being made in china instead of the usa but im pretty sure the reason they do that has less to do with the fact that they can get away with paying their employees very little and more to do with the tax incentives they get to set up shop there in the first place.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
why? i never get why people like to hear "locally grown" about produce. if its fresh and tastes good whats the difference?

1. Transportation effects. Moving stuff uses energy, produces heat and increases entropy.

2. Economic effects. Moving stuff moves money. If you send all of your money far away it will do you less good in the long run.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
But I still buy a ton of stuff from Amazon. No one is going to start producing Prorasso pre-shave cream, Stinger Waffles, Gatorade powder, Adventure Time Blu-rays, LED tea candles, chamois butter, oil filters, etc. locally.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
why? i never get why people like to hear "locally grown" about produce. if its fresh and tastes good whats the difference? now i understand and often agree that its better to buy "made in the usa" and i also get it that its nice to support smaller companies (though i dont really care about that, to me the best price will almost always win out) but who cares if it comes from washington state or hawaii or alaska or my hometown?

now there is a bigger discussion about how it sucks that stuff like apple products are being made in china instead of the usa but im pretty sure the reason they do that has less to do with the fact that they can get away with paying their employees very little and more to do with the tax incentives they get to set up shop there in the first place.
It's about the local economy.
Something might not be made in your zip code, but the people that work in the stores that sell it keep their jobs when you buy stuff from a local store. It all adds up and helps your community.

1. Transportation effects. Moving stuff uses energy, produces heat and increases entropy.

2. Economic effects. Moving stuff moves money.
:iagree:

But I still buy a ton of stuff from Amazon. No one is going to start producing Prorasso pre-shave cream, Stinger Waffles, Gatorade powder, Adventure Time Blu-rays, LED tea candles, chamois butter, oil filters, etc. locally.
Sure, a lot of stuff isn't made locally, but the economic effects of buying that stuff from a locally owned store has a positive effect on your community. We can't buy everything from local stores, but it's worth considering.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

So you voted for the guy who says he opposes NAFTA (while all his products are made in China), but you have no interest in supporting American jobs, or the economic health of the community in which you live. Sounds about right.

And what the Chinese pay their employees, has everything to do with why they make everything. It's the way the world works, and no amount of bullshit rhetoric from anyone will change that.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So you voted for the guy who says he opposes NAFTA (while all his products are made in China), but you have no interest in supporting American jobs, or the economic health of the community in which you live. Sounds about right.

my post was about liking stuff being made in the usa. i was just saying i dont really care if it is made locally in boca or all the way in alaska so long as it is made somewhere in the usa. i guess i feel a loyalty to philly, but that is mostly just the sports teams and i havent lived there in 11 years. i dont particularity feel any more loyalty to boca than any other part of the united states. im loyal to our country as a whole. i dont pick and choose, town by town.

Last edited: