All Things Amazon

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I stopped carrying multitools after I was forced to throw away four by various security guards.
I once inadvertently went through a courthouse security checkpoint with one. That was a bit hard to explain, but they ended up giving it back to me on my way out.

Shortly after 9/11, I had to say goodbye to a $90 Calibri torch lighter at the Tampa airport.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I carry a multi-tool too but it's much bigger. It was a cheap Walmart purchase. I usually have my bag with me (a Jan [aka "Yon"] Sport) and I keep it in there. I think a pocketknife or multi-tool is something all men should carry. I find the pliers and knife come in handy quite often.

This is the one:

51ada5f5-411d-4fed-8b53-c09cd518ad4c_1.a93aa533912a18973b9b5bcb8a966a61.jpeg
I wonder if Jan Sport is named for someone named Jan (Yon), and the pronunciation was Americanized?

Reactions: JHDK

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Few years ago, I use to own a multitool with a nice knife on it. Something similar to this below.

mtech-xtreme-multi-tool-lock-knife-3634-p.jpg

I used it when I went to the construction fields for projects. One day a f'in cop had to pulled me over for speeding and for some reason he made me step out of the car. He was a real scumbag and made me empty out my pockets, he saw my multi-tool and took it. He thought I was using it as a weapon. I recall telling him I use it for construction fields and which he basically doesn't believe me. He said oh you can get it back.

Months later, I had called the police station where he reports to. I asked about my multi-tool and of coarse the officer denies taking it. Ever since I never bought a new one or carry anything like that on me again, just in case something happens like this again.

Reactions: JHDK

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
When it first appeared that Amazon would abandon plans for a new headquarters in New York, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti expressed hope that "New York's loss will be L.A.'s gain." Amazon now will not build a new headquarters anywhere. Who wants to break the news to Garcetti?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Over the past year, Amazon has been shipping an increasing number of orders in lightweight plastic mailers instead of cardboard boxes. The production and recycling of plastic emits fewer greenhouse gases and uses less petroleum than the production and recycling of cardboard. Who knew? But those plastic mailers are causing all kinds of problems for recyclers, and most of them -- the plastic mailers, not the recyclers -- wind up in landfills.

Amazon’s streamlined plastic packaging is jamming up recycling centers

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Over the past year, Amazon has been shipping an increasing number of orders in lightweight plastic mailers instead of cardboard boxes. The production and recycling of plastic emits fewer greenhouse gases and uses less petroleum than the production and recycling of cardboard. Who knew? But those plastic mailers are causing all kinds of problems for recyclers, and most of them -- the plastic mailers, not the recyclers -- wind up in landfills.

Amazon’s streamlined plastic packaging is jamming up recycling centers
Ironic that towns across this country - like the one where I live - have been banning plastic bags, while Amazon is increasing its use of plastic bags.

There's a lot of hypocrisy in all this environmental conscientiousness. Poland Springs touts that their plastic caps are one-third thinner than before. But at the same time, the company is largely responsible for proliferating millions of unnecessary plastic bottles in the first place. Consumerism always wins, and we lose.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Hypocrisy. Indeed. In 2016, voters passed Proposition 67, making California the first state to ban single-use plastic bags. Walmart, Target, Sears, Kmart, JC Penney, Lowe's, The Home Depot, Best Buy and all the major supermarket chains still offer plastic bags. The bags are now larger and thicker than before -- and shoppers have to pay 10¢ each for them. We also now have to pay 10¢ each for paper bags. And does all that money go toward recycling programs or environmental programs? Nope -- the stores keep all the money as profit.....and of course pay taxes on it. The state gets extra revenue at the expense of shoppers.

Speaking of taxes, let's get back on topic. Last year, Business Insider senior correspondent Steve Kovach explained how and why Amazon paid almost no federal taxes on a profit of $3 billion. This year, once again, Amazon will be "getting away with murder" (to use the words of a certain President). Happy Valentine's Day, Jeff!

Amazon will pay $0 in federal taxes this year — here's how the $793 billion company gets away with it

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This year, once again, Amazon will be "getting away with murder" (to use the words of a certain President).
He hasn't paid taxes either. Meanwhile, the people who claim to be up in arms about this are the same ones who target the non-tax-paying low income groups (who often have little to no income to tax). But who are you potentially going to get more from; Amazon, or the poor?