All Things Amazon

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I've posted many times about my love of external storage and the same goes for Micro SD cards. They drop so much in price rather quickly.

I'm looking forward to when the 1TB card gets down to an affordable price.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Along with my laptop purchase, I'll be needing to transfer all my pictures, videos, mp3s, and documents. Plus it's nice to have a backup that can handle all of it on one device. So I got this

View attachment 6724

I actually bought it from Best Buy (not Amazon). They had one for $30, but this was $50. Aside from this being more durable, it's very high speed. A lot of reviews for the cheaper one said it was painfully slow. But still, it's amazing to get a small, fast, and durable flash drive that holds 256gb (actually 230gb - to the chagrin of many stupid purchasers) for $50.
I transferred 120gb of docs, pics, music, and videos onto flash. It took only 1.5 hours, and that's on the old laptop with usb 2.0. It was 5 or 10 times faster than the little Sandisk thumb drive I had prior.

Looking forward to seeing how fast it goes onto the new laptop, with usb 3.0 and ssd.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I transferred 120gb of docs, pics, music, and videos onto flash. It took only 1.5 hours, and that's on the old laptop with usb 2.0. It was 5 or 10 times faster than the little Sandisk thumb drive I had prior.

Looking forward to seeing how fast it goes onto the new laptop, with usb 3.0 and ssd.
So, I'm still getting everything in my new laptop set up and whatnot.

I had upgraded my music editing software to the latest version, and there are some compatibility issues with opening my old files in the new version. (The short story is that the software wants to increase the bit rate of files, and they end up changing in length, so the instruments don't line up with each other.) I needed to make another backup copy of all of the songs to convert the files to the right bit rate.

Anyway, I have 2 RAID drives. One has (2) 2 TB drives, and the other has (2) 4TB drives. The older 2 TB drive is what I kept all of my backups on. (Music, photography, and everything else.) It was getting full, so I got the 2nd 4 TB version to move my photography to. I copied my photos to the new drive but hadn't deleted them from the old drive because I wanted to be sure it was all transferred first.

Last night, the old drive ran out of space because I never did delete the old stuff. Anyway, it took me HOURS to go through and compare file versions, delete all of the duplicates, and then copy everything to the right places. There are 53 GB of music files, and 945 GB of photos.

Long story that never became a short story - KEEP UP WITH YOUR FILE MANAGEMENT!!!!! File management is a pain in the ass, but if you don't keep up with it, it's a nightmare.

• Wow
Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Speaking of Amazon, I posted this to my Facebook when it happened (Dec 19). I was cooking burgers on my grill on my front porch (like any good redneck). Spatula on the right. Plate on the left. Sizzling burgers inside it. Amazon dude delivered the package onto my hot grill. Couldn't believe it.

View attachment 6737
I guess he figured it was highly likely that someone would be coming to the grill.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So, I'm still getting everything in my new laptop set up and whatnot.

I had upgraded my music editing software to the latest version, and there are some compatibility issues with opening my old files in the new version. (The short story is that the software wants to increase the bit rate of files, and they end up changing in length, so the instruments don't line up with each other.) I needed to make another backup copy of all of the songs to convert the files to the right bit rate.

Anyway, I have 2 RAID drives. One has (2) 2 TB drives, and the other has (2) 4TB drives. The older 2 TB drive is what I kept all of my backups on. (Music, photography, and everything else.) It was getting full, so I got the 2nd 4 TB version to move my photography to. I copied my photos to the new drive but hadn't deleted them from the old drive because I wanted to be sure it was all transferred first.

Last night, the old drive ran out of space because I never did delete the old stuff. Anyway, it took me HOURS to go through and compare file versions, delete all of the duplicates, and then copy everything to the right places. There are 53 GB of music files, and 945 GB of photos.

Long story that never became a short story - KEEP UP WITH YOUR FILE MANAGEMENT!!!!! File management is a pain in the ass, but if you don't keep up with it, it's a nightmare.
I'm about an order of magnitude below you in data, but I also have to deal with file management with our pictures.

We have about 100gb of digital pics going back to 2001. My system is to upload from the camera/cell phone every few months. Usually twice a year, or after a big event. I put each upload into a folder with the date of the last pic. This worked great when we only had a digital camera. It was also manageable when it was the camera and the wife's cell phone.

My first couple of cell phones were flip phones, or very compact phones with a minimal camera. Mrs Scotch always had a nice big phone, with a keyboard and nice camera.

When we both started taking pics, I had to merge them on the computer. And I'd backup onto my work computer and a usb. Then when I had time, I'd go through and get rid of blurry and duplicate pics. Then the various backups no longer match. I was just doing that yesterday.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Oh, and my work laptop is out, because everything taken off it gets encrypted. So I use our home laptop as a backup.

Also, sometimes when I upload from the phone/camera, I not only get the new stuff, but also some of the stuff I previously uploaded. It's a big mess.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
sometimes when I upload from the phone/camera, I not only get the new stuff, but also some of the stuff I previously uploaded. It's a big mess.
That's pretty much the same mess I was just sorting through. Generally, I was putting (and editing) all of my photography on the right drive, but every now and then I'd accidentally use the old drive. Good file management habits will save a lot of stress later on.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Tasted a bit... nutty

Foam_Peanuts.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Channel98