All Things Disney - Except Movies

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I Disneyed the shit outta Disney World yesterday.

Woke up at 6:50 and left at 7:30. Got to the parks at 10:20 (took exactly 2:50 to get from Boca to Animal Kingdom with no stops) and went on a bunch of rides. Expedition Everest had almost no line so I did it 3 times. Also did the Dinosaur ride and Kilimanjaro Safari. Both are cool and seeing all the living animals on the safari ride is really cool. I got to check out the new Avatar land and while I didn't love the movie that land is cool. The simulated floating islands are neat. Sadly I didn't do the Avatar rides cause I got there too late and there were already hours long lines for them. The Fast Passes for those rides are completely booked weeks in advance. I plan to get there at opening next Friday and go straight to those rides.

Then around 1 I wanted to buy a Figment key chain, because Figment is sweet, and the only place it's available is EPCOT. So I was off to EPCOT. Got there, bought the chain and then did the Figment ride and The Land which is a nice calm boat ride with a bunch of botany info. I also used a Fast Pass Soarin' and that ride is really fun.

After that it started to rain so I figured it would be a good idea to go to the Magic Kingdom cause people would be leaving to not get wet. Got there around 5 and stayed until close at 10. I got to do the most at that park. Space, Thunder and Splash mountains, The People Mover, the new-ish 7 Dwarfs ride, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and my favorite ride in all of Disney: The Carousel of Progress. Also watched the firework show and it was pretty. It's fun how they project onto the castle and make it look totally different. Got a little emotional during that show thinking about my mother so that was kinda touching.

All I bought all day in the parks was that key chain for $6. In between Animal Kingdom and EPCOT I drove out of Disney to get lunch at Taco Bell. In the Parks just a soda costs $5 and at the Bell I got my whole meal for like $7 so that was a good way to save some cash.

Because I plan to go almost every week I decided to take a bunch of notes about the logistics of a 1 day round trip. Like I said, it took 2:50 to get there in the morning with no stops, but at night (I left the parking lot at 10:30 and arrived home at 1:25) it only took 2:55 to get home and that was with a bathroom and gas stop. The round trip, with driving to the different parks and driving off-campus to get food was 392.1 miles. It took just over 1 and 1/4 tanks of gas round trip. That translates into about $43.75 in gas. The round trip tolls were just under $25 and my lunch was $7. That means I can go to and from Disney for a grand total of $75.75. That's not so bad. I blow more than that on random junk most weeks anyway so I can cut back on all that trash and spend it on my Disney trips instead.

I spent $339.74 for the annual, weekday pass. Last week I only went to EPCOT and this week I park hopped. A 1 day, 1 park ticket for FL residents is $109. A 1 day, park hopper ticket for FL residents is $136.50. So between my 2 visits I would have spent $245.50 without my annual pass. That means next week, even if I only go to 1 park, I will have already gotten my monies worth out of buying the annual pass.

Next week I plan to do those Avatar rides like I said at Animal Kingdom and also go to Hollywood Studios since that's the only park I haven't been to yet. I'm sure once I get there my plans will change and it's fun to just go wherever I want on a whim.

I had an amazing time yesterday. I loved every minute of it, even the parts when I was getting wet from the rain. Disney just makes me smile and puts me in a good mood. I can't wait to do it again next week.

I took a bunch of pics but slideshows are corny so I'm only going to post 2.

I like this one because it shows how well Disney manages to make Animal Kingdom feel wild while also very staged. The mountain of course is Expedition Everest.

And my Figment key chain. Well worth $6 because Figment is cool! That black key on the left is my beautiful new RAV key and the green background is the footrest of my nursing easy chair you guys already know about.

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I love Epcot and Magic Kingdom.
That's awesome that you'll get to go so often! When you only get to go every few years, you tend to only hit the same rides every time, because you don't want to go all that way and miss your favorites.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Good morning all and welcome to a new feature here at DRC I like to call, "My Dutch Disney Live Blog".

Figured it might be fun to post my activities here throughout the day when I have some downtime.

Right now it's 4:42 am and I'm getting ready to head to the parks! I want to make sure I get to Animal Kingdom at opening so I can do one of those new Avatar rides without a 2 hour wait. Not sure what I'll do after that but the plan is to spend some time in Hollywood Studios today.

And that's update #1. See you all again in 200 miles when I'm back in the happiest place on Earth!

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Update #2: severe miscalculation.

Got to the park 45 mins before opening but they let people in to line up way before that. I'm in the avatar flight of passage line now and I'll probably be here for an hour plus.

Well, I'm comitted now. No turning back.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Update #2: severe miscalculation.

Got to the park 45 mins before opening but they let people in to line up way before that. I'm in the avatar flight of passage line now and I'll probably be here for an hour plus.

Well, I'm comitted now. No turning back.
Next time, pick-up a disabled guy on the way down.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Update 3: better than expected.

Avatar line wound up only being like 50 mins. Really cool ride. It's like Soarin but with better, 3d visuals and ride vehicles. Glad I waited.

Doin a couple more Animal Kingdom rides then off to another park. So far so good.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Update 4: Sitting in a Walgreens parking lot now charging my phone and getting moleskin blister pads. Im about to get a blister on top of the blisterthat was just healing from last week so I thought I'd try to nip that in the bud. I'm an old man.

Think I'm heading to EPCOT next. If my youtube searches are correct, they have something I've never seen that will blow my mind. Fingers crossed.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Update 5: EPCOT will have to wait, took a hollywood studios trip instead. Like a moron I cancelled my hwood fastpasses earlier in the day cause the rides were down. They're all up amd running now. Haha.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Update 6: OH DEAR GOD EPCOT IS THE BEST PARK EVER!

THEY HAVE MANATEES!!!

There are two of them in this huge tank and they constantly get fed head of lettuce. You can watch them from above and below. Its frekaing awesome! Be prepared for a ton of manatee pics coming soon.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Avatar land is cool. They only have 2 rides and a few places to eat but everyone says both rides are pretty great. The Flight of Passage ride was awesome and I'm glad I did it. I'm not going to wake up a 4:15 am again for a few weeks but eventually I will do the other, dark boat ride.

The look of the land is also cool. I watched it get built on Twitter and seeing the final product in person was neat. I like how they used all those vines to cover up the support beams. Looks as real as you can possibly make floating islands look in real life.

While I hate all architects with the burning passion of 1,000 suns, this was some good work:

The line for Flight of Passage goes right under the structure and its nice to see it from all different angles.

Anyway, I left around 6 yesterday and got home at 9. It was another fun day at Disney and I look forward to doing it again next week. Posting about the trip was fun and I think I'll do it again. It was a good way to kill time when waiting in lines.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
While I hate all architects with the burning passion of 1,000 suns....
Dafuqs up with the hate?
Do you realize that everything that you love at Disney is the result of an architect manipulating your experiences? Toying with your emotions like you were a puppet?

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Dafuqs up with the hate?
Do you realize that everything that you love at Disney is the result of an architect manipulating your experiences?
I just enjoy getting your goat. That's exactly why I threw that line in there and I'm glad you took the bait. :p;):)

All the architecture in Disney is amazing and I love it. In Disney they call anyone who holds any sort of creative job an "Imagineer". That is a far less offensive term than "architect". It's endearing.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I had friends that worked there. (Architects!!!!)
My current boss used to work there too.

When I was in college, we went there for a few days to explore the parks, learn about the design, and have a bit of fun. We got some back of house tours too. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go into the underground tunnels.