All Things Disney - Except Movies

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Today was great! I got there at 11 and just got back to the motel now. I did every ride in the park except their dinosaur version of Dumbo. Flight of Passage was either a walk on or only about at 5 minute wait so I did it 3 times. Same goes for Everest. Navi River Journey was 15-20 min wait so I did it twice.

I really like that Flight of Passage ride. It's not worth a 2.5 hour wait during a normal summer/Labor Day weekend but I would wait 45 for it.

So Magic Kingdom has to be the best park for rides...it has all the classics and my all time favorite rides, Animal Kingdom is my favorite park to walk around. It's so cool how it's very carefully landscaped to give the illusion that it's filled with wild growth. Maybe they hired Scotch's landscape masters degree lady and she told them where the plants should go. Plus Avatar land is the most impressive land in Disney World.

Now Hollywood Studios used to be my least favorite but I think that has changed. While I'm not going there on this trip since I didn't plan and when I got here realized that annual passholders can't go this weekend due to the holiday, the more I think about it the more I love Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. That one ride alone is enough to bump up my opinion of the park then throw in Star Wars and Toy Story Lands and it has surpassed epcot as my 3rd favorite park. Now epcot is adding 2 big rides with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ratatouille and they are also making big changes to the area of the park around Spaceship Earth so maybe my opinion will change again once that is all open but for right now it goes:

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Epcot

That said, even my least favorite Disney park is still a great time and I'm happy to spend the day there. That is exactly what I plan to do tomorrow before I drive home.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Take 1 guess where I am right now...

Hah, a reservation for Hollywood Studios opened up for tomorrow so I jumped on it. Time to hit Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway again. I figured I may as well drive up today and spend a few hours in MK.

On the way into the park a monorail driver was in my cabin. He was on his way to start his shift. Got to learn some fun monorail facts like it takes 4 months to complete all the training but the main stuff is learned in 2 weeks. The max the system will let it go is 40mph but on downhills they can get up to 42. Also they have 10 monorails total but only room for 7 in their storage area. That's why they park 3 inside The Contemporary when a hurricane rolls into town. And all the staff on the monorail platform are trained as drivers. They take turns being ushers and drivers.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
"I call the big one Bitey" is perhaps my all time favorite Simpsons joke. And the monorail episode is very likely the best episode of any season.

Just that 2 minute clip is filled with so many gems. The stock photo is amazing, "Rail means rail" is hilarious...and then the GOAT joke I just wrote about.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
"I call the big one Bitey" is perhaps my all time favorite Simpsons joke. And the monorail episode is very likely the best episode of any season.

Just that 2 minute clip is filled with so many gems. The stock photo is amazing, "Rail means rail" is hilarious...and then the GOAT joke I just wrote about.
It's certainly one of the best. My favourite is the space episode.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I screwed up this morning trying to get into the Rise virtual queue. I hit refresh instead of the book button right at 10 and by 10:00:20 all the spots are taken. I did a couple rides, left the park, then came back when the queue opened up again at 2. I'm currently in backup group 69 (hehe). I may or may not get called to ride, the park closes at 7. I'm back at the motel again and will go to the park for the 3rd time today if my group gets called.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Yay, my group was called. It's certainly not like last time when I was group 2 and it was a walk on. There is kinda a long line even with the virtual queue system this time. I think after this I'll just bite the bullet and wait out the line for Runaway Railway and then maybe call it a day unless I find other walk on rides.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Depending on how the Eagles do today I may have to run away to Disney tomorrow.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Eagles are 0-2 and I didn't make a trip last week so a few days at Disney was long overdue. Did MK today and was going to do Hollywood tomorrow but decided against it and will be heading to AK instead.

This time I have a fun one for ya...

Both of these pics are from my trip today. Here is the flag at the entrance you walk under to get into MK:

And here is the flag you see right after you get into the park:

Now the second image is at half mast for Justice Ginsburg obviously. Why isn't the other flag at half mast?

And don't look it up, that's cheating.

I saw a video about the flags that fly in Disney World a while ago and it gave away the answer and I find it interesting.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Because it's supposed to be a happy place and they don't want your first impression being a reminder that someone is dead?

That's a good one but not it.

The only real American flag in the park is that one that was at half mast. They have a ceremony taking it down every evening.

All the other "US flags" on Main Street USA (and there are a ton of them) are not real because they are missing 1 star and 1 stripe.

That way they don't have to follow the half mast rules and don't have to be lit or taken down at night.

Last edited: