All Things Disney - Except Movies

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Happily Ever After debuted at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in May 2017. The nightly fireworks and projecting-mapping show has been temporarily suspended amidst the COVID-19 pandemic – sorry, JHDK – but the entire show can be seen on the Disney Parks website. It is truly amazing.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The projection mapping is cheap (relatively speaking) so Disney will def be bringing that back along with fireworks at some point. The worry is they may get rid of the wintertime icicle lighting on the castle forever because it costs too much and each light needs to be inspected for fireproofing.

In other news, back to Epcot, they have tugged the new barge into the middle on the lagoon in World Showplace and have been testing it. It will be part of the new nighttime fireworks/water show in that park. it's kinda an eyesore right now but when it's working it will move and shoot out water that images are then projected upon and it has its own screen on it too. Testing has revealed some dead pixels that they are currently working to fix.

This is just part of it, but the part that is currently in public view:

1610459785972.png

People have coined it "the taco".

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It's Disney.....I'm sure it'll look good once it's finished.

Once finished it will be really cool during the show at night but during the day you won't be able to see the barge at all cause it will be all fountains. Unlike the previous nighttime show those barges will stay put and not be towed away each night after the show.

Just got back from Epcot btw/and spent way too much on prints of various Disney art but I'll get into that later. Now I watch Disney videos everyday so I'm fairly well versed on what's going on day to day in the parks, well they must have done this overnight cause there were two giant taco barges in the lagoon today and workers were on them both.

And some good news, they have them positioned that when you enter the World Showplace you can still see straight across the lagoon to the USA pavilion. And while at the USA section you can see straight across to Spaceship Earth. They will look cool as huge fountains.

Last edited:

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Walt Disney's audio-animatronic stage show Progressland was part of the 1964-65 World's Fair in New York. The attraction, renamed Carousel of Progress, was at Disneyland from 1967 to 1973. In 1975, it moved to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. Carousel of Progress is about to get an update – and a new narrator.

• Love
Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Did animal kingdom for a few hours this morning at opening then went back to the motel and got lunch and a short nap. Now it's time for magic kingdom until closing. Gotta hit all the classics. Plus it's in the low 50s here and everyone is a huge puss so splash mountain is only a 5 min wait. I'll likely do that one 3 or 4 times.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Walt Disney's audio-animatronic stage show Progressland was part of the 1964-65 World's Fair in New York. The attraction, renamed Carousel of Progress, was at Disneyland from 1967 to 1973. In 1975, it moved to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. Carousel of Progress is about to get an update – and a new narrator.

The Carousel of Progress was the last ride I did today, saved the best for last.

It will be very nice to have the future scene upgraded. While they did a good job with VR and a voice activated assistant, I always cringe when the daughter teases her granddad by saying "you didn't even have a car phone" haha.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I drove home last night a little after finishing up at Magic Kingdom. It was very nice to get back to Disney. While I didn't do everything I'd like, I did manage to hit all 4 parks in 2 days and did a ton of fun stuff.

The great part of being such a Disney fanatic is that if I miss some things in one trip, the next trip is never too far away.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I bought art!

Now we all know the only art worth any sort of while is Disney related art.

I bought 5 prints and spent way too much on them. I could have a really, really nice watch right now in their place. Whatever, I enjoy looking at them on my wall. They make me feel good and happy so I guess that means they were worth it.

2 are from a series, 2 are from another series and 1 stands alone. The Epcot Art Festival really got its claws into me.

The first two are from what I am calling my Space Mountain collection:

I wasn't sure which one I liked better so I bought both. Pluto is awesome! I mean Mickey is cool, but Pluto is the best. And I have them on my wall in such a way that they take off from the Space Mountain base and then you see them flying around, having fun in space. Good times!

Next up is the classic rides collection:

Star Tours still exists in Hollywood Studios but it was in place long before Disney owned Star Wars. Horizons is the real draw of this collection. Man I loved that ride. Mission: Space is now the ride where it was originally and while I also like that ride it's nowhere near as cool as Horizons. Classic 80's/early 90's Epcot.

Oh and check out the picture in between the two artworks...it's Hendrik and I (I was probably like 4) in matching Epcot sweatshirts at Disney. Hmm...I wonder why I have such a Disney obsession?

I'll talk about the 5th piece in another post. I got to talk to the artist of that piece for like 15 mins. It was cool.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I just made a classic koop, dumbass decision. I figured I'd go to Disney at 1230am today. Got in the car, wound up 20 miles up the road when I realized that I was super tired and going to drive off the road so I turned around and came home. I guess that last part was a good decision.

I'll try again next week maybe.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Take two.

After getting home and sleeping for just under 10 hours, I got in the car and drove straight to Epcot. I did a lap around the World Showplace and Spaceship Earth and now I'm in my motel. The guy at the front desk really has discretion as to what is charged cause usually it's right around $50 a night but this time he only charged me $84 for 2 nights! I was very happy with that so I'm now going to go get the guy some Taco Bell as a thanks.

Tomorrow I plan on starting with Hollywood Studios (I'm going to wake up at 7am to try to get a spot on Rise of the Resistance) then I may head over to Animal Kingdom later in the day...we'll see how it goes.

And It's going to get cold up here starting tonight. It will be in the low 60/40's for the next 2 days. Good stuff.

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Oh yea!

I also renewed my annual pass! They are not selling new passes right now but if you already have one you can renew it. Now mine doesn't expire until 3.23.21 but I've been saving for the renewal and I hit the goal about a week ago so I figured why not? God knows I'm certainly going to use it, no matter how early I renew. It was $350 even w/tax included, which was cheaper than I expected. I read it was $369+tax.

Even with COVID, and including this trip, I have used my current pass to go to the parks 19 times this past year (plus the 5 months they added on due to the park closure). I certainly get my $350's worth out of that pass. Now that's not 19 trips, but 19 times when I entered a Disney World park. I took 11 trips up here.

Last edited: