All Things Disney - Except Movies

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Well that was super easy. WAY easier than the last time when I didn't get a group.

I got boarding group 2 for Rise of the Resistance today. That means I'll get to go on it right as the park opens.

I've been watching a lot of videos about how empty the parks have been lately. January (after the new year week) is typically an empty time in the parks and now with the crowd limits it's even better. But while certainly now crowded, Epcot had more people than I was expecting yesterday.

This will be my 3rd time on the ride. While I think I like Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway better of the two new, trackless rides in Hollywood, this one is really a technological marvel. It's nuts all the shit that goes down even before getting on the main ride. It must have cost them a ton to make.

Another plus of group 2 is there will likely be no line. Once it gets deeper into the day a line forms. I waited about 30 mins one of the times I rode it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Did Hollywood: Rise, Rockin Roller Coaster and Mickey and Minnie's. Waited 30 mins for Mickey but the other 2 were walk ons...Good thing I woke up at 630 to get that Rise group. I think I'll head to Animal Kingdom after some lunch then back to Hollywood this evening. A cast member told me that in the evening Mickey and Minnie's is more or less a walk on so if that's true I'll do it a million times in a row. There is so much to see on that ride.

I also think I'm going to add a night to my motel stay. That way I can have all day tomorrow in the parks w/o the worry of being tired driving home. I think I'll get a Hollywood reservation for tomorrow and wake up to get a Rise group again, then I'll spend the rest of the day in the Magic Kingdom. It will mean I leave Athena alone for 72 hours but that should be ok. I feel bad for her but I'm pretty sure she doesn't care. Plus I leave WAY too much food and water out for her when I leave in anticipation of getting in a crash and she having to be alone for like a week.

It's really nice that park hopping is back btw.

And it's 57 and a beautifully sunny day here right now, it's wonderful. I'm sporting a long sleeve t and shorts and it's super comfortable. Like Scotch was saying in another thread, you can easily spot the Floridians in the park cause they are wearing like down jackets and gloves and stuff. hahah.

Sadly they are not running that cartoon pre-show where the screen blows up and you walk through the hole right now cause of COVID (they have you just walk through the hole w/no video), but the rest of the ride is the same.

It's such a classic Disney dark ride but modern at the same time and on top of that it has Mickey and Minnie! I just love it so much.

Last edited:

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Anyone six or younger will no longer be able to watchThe Aristocats on Disney+. We don't dare allow children to see an animated cat with slanted eyes and buckteeth. And those horrible, horrible Lost Boys in Peter Pan engage in "mockery and appropriation of Native people's culture and imagery." Gotta ban that movie too.

Disney+ removes The Aristocats, Peter Pan, Dumbo and Swiss Family Robinson movies from children’s profiles due to negative cultural depictions

• Wow
Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
BOOM!

Got boarding group 5 for Rise today! 3 worse than yesterday, hah.

It still means I'll be in the first lot of people to ride this morning, they usually call like 10-20 groups at once.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So the downside of Rise being so technologically advanced is that it breaks down a lot. It wasn't running at the start of the day so I did Railway and Star Tours then decided to go to the motel. When I was almost at my car I got the notification that my Rise group was boarding so I turned around and went right back into the park. Once again it was a walk on so that was nice.

Then I decided it was time to go. So I skipped Magic Kingdom and now I'm back home. I'll probably head back up in another couple weeks. This was a very fun trip.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So I was just in Hollywood Studios about 7 hours ago and now I'm home watching a live stream of people walking around Hollywood Studios.

I may have a problem.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm fascinated with 70's TV about Disney.

This is a good one. Some British guy (who couldn't be more stereotypical British) tours the park under construction but the main part of the show is him going around Kissimmee and getting the opinions of all the residents about the sudden boom they were seeing since Disney was less than a year from opening.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Made it up here. I'm basically friends with two of 4 front desk staff and I got one of them that I know well today so I got my $42/night rate again! Can't beat that.

Let's take a quick tour of what a $42/night motel room looks like...

So as you can see it's certainly nothing fancy and a bit run down, but it's not like it's a complete dump. I'm perfectly happy here for such a low price. Now if I were to take Kea here I'd get a room at one of the budget Disney hotels like All Star Sports or one of those. And the "budget" Disney hotels are still over $150/night. But when it's just me I'm going for savings over any sort of luxury. Especially since I do this like 15 times a year.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I had an eventful day, did 3 parks.

Started out with my reservation for epcot. Did The Land, Figment and Spaceship Earth, plus I did a lap around the World Showplace.

After 2pm park hopping opens up so I went to Animal Kingdom at 2:30 and did Everest twice and Kilimanjaro Safari. The safari is always fun since the animals are unpredictable.

Once I was done there I stopped by Hollywood Studios just to do Runaway Railway. That was the longest wait of the day at 35 minutes but it's well worth it. That ride has quickly become one of my top 5 in all the parks.

Tomorrow I have a reservation for Hollywood so I will wake up early again to try to get a spot on Rise and once I do that I'll do Runaway Railway again and Star Tours then probably head to Magic Kingdom after 2.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ok, it's time for me to list my top 5 rides in Disney World. I know you have all been waiting for this list, so here it is.

1. Carousel of Progress
- That one's easy. It's a Walt original that he had at the 64 World's Fair plus I have tons of nostalgia for that ride. And the theme song is fantastic.

2. Splash Mountain
- It's just so cute. Plus there is also a nostalgia factor and it has fun drops. Everybody has a laughing place MF'ers. That song rocks.

3. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
- People say "I was sad to see The Great Movie Ride go" and while that was a fun ride, Railway is objectively so much better. It's a delightfully classic Disney dark ride but also modern with the trackless ride vehicles and the cool way they mix 2D cartoons with 3D set pieces. And it's the first ride dedicated to Mickey, which is crazy it took so long. And the songs are fun.

4. The WEDWAY People Mover
- I can't wait until this one is up and running again. It's a nice calm ride above Tomorrowland that is just pleasant to be on.
Did you know Congress has their own Peoplemover? United States Capitol subway system - Wikipedia

5. Rise of the Resistance - This is the only one I had to think about but it has to make the list. The queue alone is an amazing ride. You get BB-8, a Rey hologram, you go on a ship with a cool animatronic and get caught by the Empire then you see like 50 stormtrooper animatronics set against an IMAX size screen that is made to look like the opening where the smaller ships come in to dock with the base ship. And all that is before the ride even starts. On the ride there are life sized AT-ATs and giant cannons and just overall amazing special effects. While Star Wars is nowhere near my favorite scifi saga, there is no denying this ride is a marvel.

So there we go. Turns out my top 5 rides all come from either the Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. Funny because the Magic Kingdom is the park I visit the least. It's because it's annoying to have to take the boat or monorail to get there (the monorail is very cool though). And 3 of the 5 are rides with singing. One can never go wrong with a classic Disney tune.

It will be a huge bummer to see Splash Mountain rethemed to The Princess and the Frog, whenever that happens, but hopefully it will wind up being a good change like the switch from The Great Movie Ride to Railway. But then again, while I liked the Movie Ride, it was never one of my favorites so I have my doubts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I liked the Carousel of Progress in the 70s. I assume its been updated. The current day was already dated then. More like 50s/60s life in the current day.

I also liked Space Mountain.

The haunted house was cool but I was 13.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I haven't been since the Avatar and Star Wars additions.

If I had to pick a top 5

Spaceship Earth
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Toy Story Mania
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

I really love visiting the countries at Epcot too.

Reactions: JHDK