Annoying Words & Phrases

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've got a bunch that have built up, that I need to dump here.

- Tweetstorm.
- Bomb Cyclone.
- Deep Dive (corporate speak).
- Shade, as in "gave her shade"; especially when used by news outlets.
- Drops, as in "her new single drops today"; especially when used by news outlets.
- A Thing, as in "that's now a thing"; especially when used by news outlets.
- Calls-out, as in "reporter calls-out senator for..."; especially when used by news outlets.
- Polar vortex. Any new phrase that describes an age-old phenomenon is bullshit.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Then you can hoe your rows of hoes before your sow your rows of soy.
Sooooo, there's that......
5873.hoe.jpg

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In the grand old American tradition of shortening words, e.g., mod, temp, fridge and intel, I will never refer to Mark Ronson as a sapiosexual. I will just call him a sap.

Another expression I'm tired of hearing is "officer-involved shooting." On radio and tv newscasts, I hear that a robber shot a homeowner, a carjacker shot a motorist, a gang member shot a rival, a fired worker shot his boss, a terrorist shot several people in a dance club, a hunter accidentally shot a hiker.....but when a police officer shoots someone, newscasters always say "an officer-involved shooting took place." Why can't they just say an officer shot someone? When a cop pulls the trigger and fires a bullet into someone, he's shooting. He's more than just "involved." Doy!

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
In the grand old American tradition of shortening words, e.g., mod, temp, fridge and intel, I will never refer to Mark Ronson as a sapiosexual. I will just call him a sap.

Another expression I'm tired of hearing is "officer-involved shooting." On radio and tv newscasts, I hear that a robber shot a homeowner, a carjacker shot a motorist, a gang member shot a rival, a fired worker shot his boss, a terrorist shot several people in a dance club, a hunter accidentally shot a hiker.....but when a police officer shoots someone, newscasters always say "an officer-involved shooting took place." Why can't they just say an officer shot someone? When a cop pulls the trigger and fires a bullet into someone, he's shooting. He's more than just "involved." Doy!
Because officers are supposed to shoot bad people to protect us; it's good. Other shootings are bad.

Speeding is bad; race car drivers speeding is good. Fighting is bad; boxing is good.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Wow. I don't know if I should feel sad – or relieved. I think if someone calls himself a "sapiosexual" and claims he's "attracted to intelligence," he likely is not very intelligent. That word isn't even recognized by the world's foremost authority on the English language: The Scrabble Dictionary.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Fourteen major wildfires were burning in California last month and most of them quickly spread because of extremely high winds. Not one weather forecaster on radio or television ever referred to the winds as "winds." No, they were always "wind events." What the heck is a "wind event"? A weather phenomenon we have to buy tickets to see? These are the same forecasters who never call rain "rain." No, it's always "precipitation."

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Fourteen major wildfires were burning in California last month and most of them quickly spread because of extremely high winds. Not one weather forecaster on radio or television ever referred to the winds as "winds." No, they were always "wind events." What the heck is a "wind event"? A weather phenomenon we have to buy tickets to see? These are the same forecasters who never call rain "rain." No, it's always "precipitation."
Years ago, George Carlin did a bit about this. He talked about "rain events". He said, "It's rain! Everything is an event."

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
"Our menu options have changed"
I feel like every business place I've ever called has recently had menu options changed. Or that's just something they feel the need to say.