Anyone have any GOOD terrestrial stations in their area?

Discussion in 'HD (Terrestrial) Radio' started by Jon, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Besides the NPR stations, I listen to KBCO out of Boulder, Colorado. We also have KCUV which is a college rock station also from Boulder, but it's on AM so I listen on Pocket Tunes whenever I can. KQMT is a decent Classic Rock station that plays a wide variety, and the DJs know their stuff. They have 'The List' every weekday at 4pm which picks a topic and plays songs about that topic, also 'Barrel Of Monkeys' which you can call in and request songs based off a theme. It's usually in alphabetical order, or they just pick a letter and play songs starting with that letter. The callers request some pretty good stuff, even heard 'Copperhead Road' which you normally don't hear on any classic rock stations, ever.
  2. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

3. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

WTIX in New Orleans is a pretty good late '50s thru late '70s station. Not cookie cutter... a bigger playlist than most. Good knowledgeable DJ's.

The local FM classic rocker is decent. I like 'Walton & Johnson' in the morning. That show is legendary around New Orleans / Houston. Been on the air forever.
  4. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Slutmobile = BANNED

Here in Grand Rapids, we have two decent stations from Townsquare: 97.9 WGRD (the active rocker that's also the homebase for Free Beer and Hot Wings) and Classic Hits 98.7 WFGR. On the AM side, there's Oldies/NPR outlet WGVU 1480 and another classic hits station, WION-I1430 out of Ionia.

Otherwise, it's Clear Channel/Cumulus/religious hell.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

89X in Detroit is passable, but thank god for SXM.
  6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Q107 is not bad for a Classic Rocker here.

Boom 97.3 also looks like it would play reasonable music (70s & 80s).

Can't say I can tolerate commercials at all anymore.
  7. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Unfortunately, radio in the NY area is a wasteland. The only things I listen to are the sports station (WFAN/660) and the news station (WCBS/880).
  8. TSSMario

TSSMario New Member

I forget the station but Chicago has a college station out of the west suburbs that has decent electronic music and a really good death metal show (deep playlist) on Saturday and Sunday nights.

UIC Radio also has good individual shows at certain times during the week. Very hit and miss though
  9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Tell you what I really like is WXRT out of Chicago. They have a deep playlist.
  10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Do they stream?
  11. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

1550 AM in Madison is picking up Scott Shannon's "TOC" the oldies channel network.
  12. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

The only good station in my area is a super local AM station. I think that's the key with terrestrial.
  13. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

I think my FM presets are Bob-FM 91.9 in Lindsay, Boom 97.3 in Toronto, Vinyl 95.3 in Hamilton, 107.9 The Breeze because it was local, 101.5 The Wolf in Peterborough..and I dont remember the others. On AM it's easier to remember. WGR550 Buffalo for Sabres games, Fan 590 Toronto, AM640 Toronto for Leafs games, 680 News for traffic reports, TSN1050 for sports and WHAM 1180 in Rochester for Bills games