Apple Healthkit

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Wolf, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Since the release of the iOS 8, has anyone took advantage of the Apple HealthKit? For me it took couple of weeks to get a feel of it, by inputting information everybody and plus finding the right app to use and incorporate with the health system. So far, I found couple of great apps I like to use.

Endomondo Sports Tracker – GPS Track Running Cycling Walking & More on the App Store on iTunes

The only personal trainer you’ll ever need fits right in your pocket. Whether you’re running, cycling, walking, kayaking, or something completely different, we keep you motivated, and most importantly - keep what you're doing fun.

[​IMG]

MotionX 24/7: Sleeptracker, Sleep Cycle Alarm, Snore, Apnea, Heart Rate Monitor, Weight Loss, Activity Tracker on the App Store on iTunes

24/7 Sleeptracker monitors your sleep to wake you at the optimum time in your sleep cycle so you feel refreshed and along with your walking steps, heart bpm, weight.

[​IMG]
  2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I use it. Linked it up with myfitnesspal and it uses the data I input there..
  3. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

21.1mph average bike speed is FLYING!

Anywho, there are plenty of apps to get your ass in gear. It depends what you're looking to do. Memebag and I both use Strava for biking, which works well.
  4. kc1ih

kc1ih Member

Every time I see that name I think of the build it yourself color TV's and ham radio equipment of years ago (Heathkit).
    memebag and HecticArt like this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's some gear from yesteryear. A memory from my youth.
  6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Same here. I see this in my mind:

[​IMG]

"That's right baby. 32k of beach-proof RAM. And by the way, I have an 8 inch floppy disk."
    Casual Fan and HecticArt like this.
  7. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Why do people need and app or an iPhone to stay fit and healthy? Eat right and in portions then exercise every single day. No app or smartphone needed.

My wife counts her calories. I have no idea why. She's always weighed about 105. Maybe 120 when she was pregnant. To each their own I guess.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
  8. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I like the biking app to keep track of miles, speed and elevation gains - data I don't keep on my own. I noticed I started pushing my distances and speed once I had some empirical data to look at.

The app is merely a tool - no guarantee it'll work, even with will power.
  9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

You're probably a more disciplined guy than most. (I don't mean that in a 50 Shades kind of a way, NTTAWWT) I think it helps people be more aware of their habits when they aren't used to thinking about that stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  10. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Hey whatever works. I wasn't trying to put it down.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Didn't think you were putting it down. It's all good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I used the pedo app on my watch for a week. No, not that kind of pedo. It measured my steps and my sleep. I have no use for that data.

I use Strava when I ride my bike. It keeps track of distance and speed, and it shows maps of where I ride. I don't think it makes me any healthier, though. I just know how far and how fast I've gone, plus how many miles each bike has logged.
  13. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I think Strava is super helpful for a plethora of things.
  14. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I like the built-in pedometer in HealthKit. I also use MapMyRun and MyFitnessPal.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I like that it was counting my steps already three weeks before I even noticed or requested it.

I also use MyFitnessPal.