Apple Issues Statement Over Day 1 'Maps' Glitches, Maps Team Reportedly Under Lockdow

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My phone can take and make calls while it's doing navigation. Not sure why yours can't.

Don't be a smart ass just for the sake of doing so. My phone will make calls and handle GPS duties too, however I explained it is more about personal preference. I don't wish to share GPS duties with the other task I am doing on my phone. Simple as that! No phone is going to change that for me! You like using your DroidX for doing both then I think that is fantastic for you.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Don't be a smart ass just for the sake of doing so. My phone will make calls and handle GPS duties too, however I explained it is more about personal preference. I don't wish to share GPS duties with the other task I am doing on my phone. Simple as that! No phone is going to change that for me! You like using your DroidX for doing both then I think that is fantastic for you.

I'm not being a smart ass. Don't be insulting. I don't understand what would prevent you from doing both simultaneously. My phone sits in a cradle on my dashboard, much like my Garmin used to. It shows navigation, also like my Garmin used to. When a call comes in, I see who is calling me and touch the answer button. The phone operates hands free. The navigation app keeps navigating. I can switch between the phone app and the nav app. I can also do all of this while running the SiriusXM app (which mutes during the phone call). So I don't understand how a separate device would be any benefit. Either tell us why it is, or don't, but don't be insulting.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm not being a smart ass. Don't be insulting. Either tell us why it is, or don't, but don't be insulting.

Insulting my ass! I already told you why, it's my preference! I am sorry that you don't like my answer, but that is all you are getting!

Now I am going to a high school football game, so I am done!

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I used the new navigation for the past few days. I drive about 50,000 miles a year and use my Garmin. Having had a Samsung Charge I am familiar with googles turn by turn.

I was able to use Siri by saying navigate to the name of my clients business. It used the same route as my Garmin most of the day, once it show me a short cut that I didn't know was there.

I think I might be order mount from Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts - ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices for my iPad 3 so that I can use if for navigation.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I finally gotten around, to check out the new update to Apple maps and yea I do see the comparison. But to be honest, I don't mind the change. The apple map layout does look cleaner, then google. I see google labels every street, which can be a bit confusing. But if you zoom into apple, then every street name does show. Yea Google street view is a nice feature, but I seen this post that DAB posted and google will probably be launching there own stand alone app soon. So whenever they do, people just decide which app is better, Apple Maps vs. Google Maps?

Google Maps vs. Apple Maps: A Side-By-Side Comparison

In the examples below, Google Maps is on the left and Apple Maps is on the right.
Map View of San Francisco
xlarge.jpg

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I finally gotten around, to check out the new update to Apple maps and yea I do see the comparison. But to be honest, I don't mind the change. The apple map layout does look cleaner, then google. I see google labels every street, which can be a bit confusing. But if you zoom into apple, then every street name does show. Yea Google street view is a nice feature, but I seen this post that DAB posted and google will probably be launching there own stand alone app soon. So whenever they do, people just decide which app is better, Apple Maps vs. Google Maps?

Google Maps vs. Apple Maps: A Side-By-Side Comparison

In the examples below, Google Maps is on the left and Apple Maps is on the right.
Map View of San Francisco
xlarge.jpg

In this view, its not just the labels that are missing. Some of the streets are. I personally prefer that every street be labelled but could accept that some were not unless zoomed in but I really want to see that there is a street there. Looking again, the Apple map is missing the Central Freeway entirely. A pretty big miss.

That being said, my wife and I went exploring last night (like we sometimes do) and after we were suitable lost (well not really, we could have just reversed our tracks) she pulled up the maps on her 3GS (iOS6) and we did some more exploring. It was satisfactory. Of course, when it was time to come home, she enabled turn by turn but only got the print outs. I guess you would need the 4S or 5 to get the voice.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
In this view, its not just the labels that are missing. Some of the streets are. I personally prefer that every street be labelled but could accept that some were not unless zoomed in but I really want to see that there is a street there. Looking again, the Apple map is missing the Central Freeway entirely. A pretty big miss.

That being said, my wife and I went exploring last night (like we sometimes do) and after we were suitable lost (well not really, we could have just reversed our tracks) she pulled up the maps on her 3GS (iOS6) and we did some more exploring. It was satisfactory. Of course, when it was time to come home, she enabled turn by turn but only got the print outs. I guess you would need the 4S or 5 to get the voice.

It's hard for anyone to compete toe to toe with Google maps. I'm sure Apple will catch up with them sooner or later. The problem I see with the Apple Maps is the lack of contrast. You need to be able to see the streets separated from the blocks much more clearly when you're driving.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It was satisfactory. Of course, when it was time to come home, she enabled turn by turn but only got the print outs. I guess you would need the 4S or 5 to get the voice.

Correct, only iPhone 4S and 5 get the actual voice turn by turn.

The problem I see with the Apple Maps is the lack of contrast. You need to be able to see the streets separated from the blocks much more clearly when you're driving.

Agreed contrast for me would be the biggest complaint. Thus far in just paying around with it I've not had any issues with it finding what I was looking for and providing turn by turn that was accurate. Certainly they need to work on their built in PIO list, but that shouldn't be very hard. I think they did say they had initially wanted to turn that over to 3rd party apps. So, I suspect that overtime as you said it will all get better.

This is new for Apple and competing with Google on something they've been doing for 10 years plus is going to be a challenge. If anyone is up for it I think its Apple.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Over the weekend, I took a trip outside of Phoenix for couple of hours. I finally was able to use the new turn-by-turn navigation, it was great hearing Siri telling how to get there. In the begining, the new Apple maps layout did look good, but now overall I see how they can look be a bit dull. Hopefully the maps can improve down the road soon.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just for shit and kicks I used it beside my Garmin today for a trip to the Capital City (Baton Rouge) I put in the address and asked it for direction to here. It gave me 3 routes, I picked the same one that I know my Garmin picked. Then off we went. It took my right to the front door of the building I was going to in Downtown Baton Rouge. It in fact said I was arriving at my location right in front of the building, the Garmin told me about two buildings before that I had arrived at my location.

The maps actually sort of remind me of the Garmin maps, because unless you zoom in you don't get a lot of info, but if you zoom in you get more info.

This test for me is a PASS!