Apple Launches OS X Lion Via Mac App Store

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Brad it is a shame that you are having this problem. I've been doing a lot of stuff on MacRumors forums which are actually better for help than Apple's forums if you ask me. What I have discovered is that a lot of folks that have SSD are having a crap load of problems with Lion. Which is why I asked if you have an SSD. Believe it or not there are two particular types, Intel and Crucial that seem to be the most problematic.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Snow Leopard and hopefully when you revisit Lion again most of these issues will have been resolved.

My 2009 2.26ghz MacBook Pro has no issues with Lion at this point, other than the occasional slow response and beach ball. Even those aren't what I'd call problematic. I am using an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, which of course they stay on top of issues like this better than most of the other SSD manufacturers. For example they certify there SSD to work on certain models and they have also flagged a few models for not working with some of there drives. I can't help but wonder if this is related to your Intel SSD /Lion Combo as so many others have reported. Whatever it is Apple certainly needs to resolve it.

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
I've thought about the SSD/Lion combo. It acts a lot like it's choking on the I/O.

Interestingly, I went with an Intel SSD figuring: Well, it's Intel - they're well known in the SSD field and surely Apple will support them and they, in turn, will support Apple.

I've checked MacForums, too - good stuff there. There are a few other Mac forums I check (well, I don't actively post to them but I find they're useful when I have problems or questions).

Hopefully they'll get this stuff worked out. The Shutdown process was agonizing. It's just sit there on the grey screen to where you'd have thought it froze up - give it 5-10min and it'd finally shutdown.

I appreciate you offering to help, though.

I do think they made Lion a little heavier than they should have. Even outside of the freezes it was annoying to go from things opening nearly instantly in Snow Leopard to seeing the app bounce 4-5 times before opening.

I really don't want my OS, nor my Apps for that matter, to be fat and bloated for a bunch of gee-whiz stuff that I'm never going to use. If I wanted that, I would have stayed with Windows.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The one thing about OS X is that it has always been lean and mean. I think you are right that it has become somewhat fat.

I came very close to getting the Intel SSD, but in reviewing so many Mac forums everyone seem to recommend OWC. I then went to their web site and of course I could tell they were absolutely Mac fanatics. They test a lot and they run a lot of comparisons. So, I decided to give them the nod. I have actually bought 3 SSD drives from them now and I've been happy with all 3. They have good phone support and of course stand by there products 100%.

Just for the record though my MacBook Pro starts in about 15 seconds and shuts down in about 8 seconds. So, there is definitely something going on with yours.

Speaking of Windows, I still use it for work, but have actually taken my 2nd Mac Mini to the office and installed Boot Camp with Windows 7. So, now when I really need to get into Windows I just do a quick restart into Windows. I have to say I hate using Windows anymore, but its all in what you get use too. Nothing wrong with Windows; well okay that is a stretch! LOL Honestly none of them are perfect!

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
For mine with Snow Leopard I'm at 8sec startup and 4 secs shutdown.

I completely missed the OWC/Mac Love bit.

I'm pretty sure you're correct in that it's a current Intel SSD/Lion incompatibility. Seems dumb but here we are.

My Mini (also an Intel SSD) was behaving the same way. It's getting Snow Leopard installed on it now. Nice to have the OS Installs on a thumb drive where I can just pop them in and they go fairly quickly.

The Lion Server VPN bit was pretty inexcusable. Yes, it works with a MBP but, for whatever reason, it does not work for a lot of people with iPad/iPhones.

Going to go back to iVPN there. It has it's own share of problems but at least the VPN portion actually works.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple updated the Mac App store version of Lion to 10.7.1 for anyone that is interested. The good news is that if you have to do a clean install, you won't have to go through and update a 2nd time to have the latest version. I certainly like that cause nothing sucks more on Windows than having to install those service patches when you do a clean install.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I'm on Lion for about a few weeks now, and beyond Safari all of a sudden becoming a huge memory hog, and the occasional beach ball when loading apps, it's been working swimmingly. Liking the new features, especially the scrolling between multiple screens. Hoping 10.7.2 fixes some of these loading issues though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm on Lion for about a few weeks now, and beyond Safari all of a sudden becoming a huge memory hog, and the occasional beach ball when loading apps, it's been working swimmingly. Liking the new features, especially the scrolling between multiple screens. Hoping 10.7.2 fixes some of these loading issues though.
I think we are likely going to have to wait until they roll out all the new iCloud and iOS5, along with iPhone 5 before we see the next update for Lion. Dev teams are all working on 10.7.2 say all this iCloud stuff is opening up. This will likely also introduce more issues that will have to be pinned down and fixed. Lion like Snow Leopard won't likely be rock solid till around 10.7.4 or 5.

I like all the iOS look alike stuff, moving from iOS to LION is so easy now right now down to scrolling. I agree that there is some issue with Safari, but I have for the most part been using Firefox, which has put out two back to back updates since Lion was released and it seems to work very well, including making use of full screen. Chrome works well too, though I am not a big fan of Chrome.