Apple redesigns iMac, MacBook and reveals Magic Mouse

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
Well I finally got around to messing with the Magic Mouse! I purchased it and returned it!

Battery life sucks, I find mousing to be slow even with it set to max, but ultimately it is just a damn uncomfortable mouse to use.

I'll keep my RocketFish Apple look alike mouse, it works GREAT and cost me $20. :)

Damn man, did you only use the mouse for 10 minutes before you decided to return it? :jj:

I've had the mouse for almost a week now and love it!! I see no problems with the battery life, but since they are alkaline they will deplete a little quicker than lithium, which is what will switch to once these batteries go.

I've had no problems with tracking either. I have it set to one below the max and can move the mouse around very well with no slowness.

The new shape did take a while to get used to, but after that break-in period, I think it's very comfortable. I can see how some people think it's uncomfortable though since almost every mouse made has a "belly". Think of the Magic Mouse as a mouse that went on the South Beach Diet. :D

As far as the C|Net report on the mouse moving around when they try to do the left/right flick, DAB is right at that being BS. I can do the two-finger flick without the mouse moving...most of the time without even holding the mouse.

IMO, I think the Magic Mouse is an excellent mouse that will get even better with future software updates that could possibly include more finger swiping gestures.

I give it a :bigthumbup:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Damn man, did you only use the mouse for 10 minutes before you decided to return it? :jj:

You Apple Fan BOY! LOL hehehe

I see no problems with the battery life, but since they are alkaline they will deplete a little quicker than lithium, which is what will switch to once these batteries go.

I've had no problems with tracking either. I have it set to one below the max and can move the mouse around very well with no slowness.

Well I experienced both of these over a few days, I used it long enough to know that I was not going to deal with the battery life and slow tracking.

I thought maybe it was just mine, so I went online to the Apple forums and sure enough many reports of the same issue, so it isn't just me.

The new shape did take a while to get used to, but after that break-in period, I think it's very comfortable. I can see how some people think it's uncomfortable though since almost every mouse made has a "belly". Think of the Magic Mouse as a mouse that went on the South Beach Diet. :D

I think it all depends on how one uses their mouse too. I think that belly that folks hold on too is indeed what makes most mouse more comfortable. South Beach Diet LOL I can see where some will find it okay, it just wasn't for me!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I am going to look at this mouse tomorrow.

I need more room on my desk, so I just ordered a mStand from newegg. I need to get a keyboard and a mouse.

I will definitely get a bluetooth keyboard. Still undecided about a mouse.

Any thoughts?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I am going to look at this mouse tomorrow.

I need more room on my desk, so I just ordered a mStand from newegg. I need to get a keyboard and a mouse.

I will definitely get a bluetooth keyboard. Still undecided about a mouse.

Any thoughts?

Were you able to check out the mouse?

Thoughts?

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Love my magic mouse, fast & responsive!! Feels much more solid and no stupid little ball to get gummed up!! Thumbs up all the way!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Who uses a mouse with a roller ball anymore? A laser mouse costs about the same.
ball was a scroll ball on top instead of scroll wheel, now its replaced with 1/2 inch of the shelved touchstream multi-touch fingerworks keyboard I go on and on about jobs hoarding all the time.

Sure the MM is slick but I want the whole keyboard to be one big multitouch keyboard, not just a tiny soul patch for one of my fingers on a stupid mouse.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Me. Laser mice are never accurate enough for me.
:peace:
base_media

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They actually have some pretty decent laser based mice, but you have to pay for them to get one with a really high level of accuracy.

Trackballs SUCK!

Boo Naysayer! ! ! ! ! !
Heretic!

(Sorry;)) I've tried a lot of different trackballs and most of them really DO suck.

These:
base_media

are designed to use your thumb. The range of motion that the thumb has is almost as limited as your pinkie. It moves up and down ok, forward and back, not so well.

I've got carpel tunnel syndrome from years of working at a furniture shop before I went to college, and then from years of autocad drawing on the computer for 10 hours a day after college.

This ugly assed trackball is the best thing there is on the market for ergonomics.
evo-transparent.gif

It's crazy accurate (mandatory for my work), and very comfortable. Your hand rests on it in a natural comfortable position. it has 6 programmable buttons, no drivers needed, and scroll and a locking drag /drop feature.

It looks bulky (and yes, pretty flippin silly looking) but since it doesn't have to move across your desk, it takes up half the space of a regular mouse.

My carpel tunnel almost never bothers me any more since I've been using these things. I've got 4 of these. One at work and three at home. The oldest one was an old PS2 jack that's ten years old,so they are very well built.

The cons you ask? They run about $120, they are a little too bulky to toss in your laptop bag and take with you to Starbucks, they look silly (so you may get a little bit of teasing from co-workers at first,) and you won't ever want to use another mouse again. Ever.

Welcome to ITAC Systems

They are an American company, and the customer service is pretty darned good.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
This ugly assed trackball is the best thing there is on the market for ergonomics.
That looks sweet! Looks like it goes bothways... left and right handed...?

How big are your hands? (no, I said 'HANDS' not glands- get your mind out of Lori's gutter, 'm kay? :D)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That looks sweet! Looks like it goes bothways... left and right handed...?

How big are your hands? (no, I said 'HANDS' not glands- get your mind out of Lori's gutter, 'm kay? :D)

You crack me up man. :rofl2:
I can't believe you remembered the time machine thread!

The itac trackball, does allow you to flip between left and right hands. (I don't remember the specifics, but you basically hold down 2 of the buttons for a couple of seconds and it beeps at you, then you hold down 2 others and it flips. I used to do it at first, haven't bothered in years, since my hands feel better (Leave Lori and any of the others out of it. . . . and don't say anything to Mrs Hectic, she's not interested in hearing about my ex-gf's.) I'm 6'-4" and have big hands to match. That's part of why regular mice don't work well for me.