Apple Wwdc14

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
While watching the press conference, Tim Cook took a stab at Android and here the info of what he said.

Tim Cook Just Ripped Android To Shreds - Yahoo Finance

Apple CEO Tim Cook just ripped Android to shreds on stage at the company's big developers' conference, WWDC. Android is the free operating system distributed by Google and used by most competing mobile phone companies, like Samsung.

Cook told attendees that 130 million Apple customers who bought one of the company's products in the last 12 months were first-time Apple buyers.

He deadpanned: "Many of these customers were switchers from Android. They had bought an Android phone, by mistake, and then sought a better experience. And a better life. And decided to check out iPhone and iOS."

Cook got a big laugh from the audience, bigger than the one he'd gotten earlier for jabbing at Microsoft's Windows system.

He gave this stat: "Nearly half of our customers in China in past six months switched from Android to iPhone. This is incredible." (In fact it's not that incredible: Apple only began focusing on China recently and most of the Chinese market was previously on Android, so where else were those customers going to come from?)

He also zinged Android for not having as many people as possible using the most recent edition of the system:

About 98% of Apple users are on iOS 7, according to the most recent Apple release. Yet only 9% of Android users are on KitKat, the most recent Android system. "Some are on [Android] from four years ago — that's like ancient history!" Cook said.

"Less than 1 out of 10 of their customers are on their latest versions," Cook said. "That means these customers are not getting great new features. They're not able to run the latest apps, and they're not getting security updates they need to stay safe."

The he showed this brutal slide:

Yep, most viruses and malware are in Android apps, not in iOS apps.

After that, he showed this slide (below), which described Android as a "toxic hellstew of vulnerabilities." Ouch!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
While watching the press conference, Tim Cook took a stab at Android and here the info of what he said.

Tim Cook Just Ripped Android To Shreds - Yahoo Finance

Apple CEO Tim Cook just ripped Android to shreds on stage at the company's big developers' conference, WWDC. Android is the free operating system distributed by Google and used by most competing mobile phone companies, like Samsung.

Cook told attendees that 130 million Apple customers who bought one of the company's products in the last 12 months were first-time Apple buyers.

He deadpanned: "Many of these customers were switchers from Android. They had bought an Android phone, by mistake, and then sought a better experience. And a better life. And decided to check out iPhone and iOS."

Cook got a big laugh from the audience, bigger than the one he'd gotten earlier for jabbing at Microsoft's Windows system.

He gave this stat: "Nearly half of our customers in China in past six months switched from Android to iPhone. This is incredible." (In fact it's not that incredible: Apple only began focusing on China recently and most of the Chinese market was previously on Android, so where else were those customers going to come from?)

He also zinged Android for not having as many people as possible using the most recent edition of the system:

About 98% of Apple users are on iOS 7, according to the most recent Apple release. Yet only 9% of Android users are on KitKat, the most recent Android system. "Some are on [Android] from four years ago — that's like ancient history!" Cook said.

"Less than 1 out of 10 of their customers are on their latest versions," Cook said. "That means these customers are not getting great new features. They're not able to run the latest apps, and they're not getting security updates they need to stay safe."

The he showed this brutal slide:

Yep, most viruses and malware are in Android apps, not in iOS apps.

After that, he showed this slide (below), which described Android as a "toxic hellstew of vulnerabilities." Ouch!

Pretty sure that's what they call BURN!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Here's mainly what wasn't talked about at length in the Keynote speech.

There’s a lot of new features coming in iOS 8 that you might have missed during Apple’s presentation today. Apple briefly flashed the slide pictured above and in it listed a bunch of new features that it didn’t talk about in length or at all during its keynote. Some of them include a “Tips app”, panorama on iPad, WiFi calling, FaceTime call waiting, rich text editing in Notes, the iBooks app now comes preinstalled, and accessibility improvements like multi-devices support for MFi hearing aids and the ability to exist Guided Access mode using TouchID.

Perhaps the most interesting of these features that Apple decided to not talk about is WiFi calling and the Tips app. WiFi calling is a feature that many of the big carriers including T-Mobile and Sprint have already started rolling out to a number of Android devices but have not yet supported iPhones with the feature. Here’s Sprint’s description:

Wi-Fi Calling is a FREE service that lets subscribers use their voice and messaging services over existing home, office and public Wi-Fi networks. With Wi-Fi Calling, Sprint customers will experience improved voice, data and messaging services in locations that previously had limited or no mobile network coverage.

The Tips app, on the other hand, was previously rumored in a concepts we confirmed as accurate in the month’s leading up today’s event. It’s unclear what exactly what the app will be used for or if it will come preinstalled, but from the title, it sounds like it could be a user guide of sorts.

A full list of the features Apple announced but didn’t talk about today is below:

Accessibility:

• Improved zoom for accessibility
  • TouchID to exit Guided Access
  • Braille Keyboard for direct 6 dot braille input
  • Alex voice for accessibility
  • Time limits and countdown timer for guided access
  • Multi-device support for MFi hearing aids
Apps:

• iBooks built into iOS
  • See books as series in iBooks
  • Auto night mode in iBooks
  • Travel time notifications
  • Panorama on iPad
  • Camera Timer
  • Lunar calendar support
  • Rich Text Editing In Notes
  • Battery usage by app
  • DuckDuckGo support in Safari
  • Place cards in other apps
  • In Case of Emergency Card
  • RSS feeds in Shared Links
  • Instant burst mode
Maps:

• Flyover city tours
  • Vector maps in China
  • Navigation for china
Voice/Siri:

• WiFi calling
  • Speak Screen
  • Purchase iTunes content with Siri
  • Speak Screen
  • Shazam with Siri
  • FaceTime Call Waiting
Language:

• 24 new diction languages
  • Indian, Tagalog, Irish Gaelic, and Slovenian keyboards
  • New definition dictionaries for Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Thai, and Turkish Hindi localization

Read more at Coming in iOS 8: WiFi calling, Tips app, FaceTime call waiting, iBooks preinstalled, much more | 9to5Mac

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

That's funny as hell.

Not saying that there were inaccuracies in the press conference. The basics don't seem to be off, but it is a sales pitch. Jobs perfected the press conference after all.

Anybody been watching Silicon Valley on HBO? They capture these tech things very well.

Hang in there for your phone announcement Jon. It's just around the corner. At least you get a glimpse at the os. With all of the different handset manufacturers and carriers, we never quite know what we're getting.

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
I been looking into updating my PC, but I really don't want to deal with Windows 8 even though it got somewhat better with 8.1. But after watching the WWDC video, I kinda like how Mac has to offer and it would be pretty cool to sync my iPad and iPhone with OS X: Yosemite and I know I can sync with Windows, but I'm getting a bit tired of Windows. But I am do like how Microsoft Surface Pro has to offer and replace my bulky PC.

I been pricing Macs today and the iMac is too way expensive and have no use for another laptop again, I saw they offer a Mac Mini for a few hundred dollars and it could fit me well, since I hardly use the PC for all of it's use. I really use it mainly for internet, iTunes and Microsoft Office. Finally Microsoft Office has come to the iPad, but how well does it work with Mac or do I need to use all of these programs like Keynote, Numbers and Pages?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I been looking into updating my PC, but I really don't want to deal with Windows 8 even though it got somewhat better with 8.1. But after watching the WWDC video, I kinda like how Mac has to offer and it would be pretty cool to sync my iPad and iPhone with OS X: Yosemite and I know I can sync with Windows, but I'm getting a bit tired of Windows. But I am do like how Microsoft Surface Pro has to offer and replace my bulky PC.

I been pricing Macs today and the iMac is too way expensive and have no use for another laptop again, I saw they offer a Mac Mini for a few hundred dollars and it could fit me well, since I hardly use the PC for all of it's use. I really use it mainly for internet, iTunes and Microsoft Office. Finally Microsoft Office has come to the iPad, but how well does it work with Mac or do I need to use all of these programs like Keynote, Numbers and Pages?
I got Microsoft Office 365. It installs Office on your Mac, and you can download the Free apps from the App Store for the iPad. There isn't anything for iPhone yet, other than office mobile which is pretty bare bones. You can download OneDrive (also free) and save your documents there, or save it to iCloud. If you are looking portable, the 11" Macbook Air is now $899 with a 128GB flash drive and 4GB of memory. That should be more than suitable. Although personally, I'll probably go for a 13" MBA or even a Macbook Pro to replace the one I'm on now which is circling the drain.

iPad is nice, and mobile is a good way to get stuff done, but I find for most tasks I still need a keyboard and a screen, and a fully functioning OS backing it up.

Reactions: Wolf

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
I got Microsoft Office 365. It installs Office on your Mac, and you can download the Free apps from the App Store for the iPad. There isn't anything for iPhone yet, other than office mobile which is pretty bare bones. You can download OneDrive (also free) and save your documents there, or save it to iCloud. If you are looking portable, the 11" Macbook Air is now $899 with a 128GB flash drive and 4GB of memory. That should be more than suitable. Although personally, I'll probably go for a 13" MBA or even a Macbook Pro to replace the one I'm on now which is circling the drain.

iPad is nice, and mobile is a good way to get stuff done, but I find for most tasks I still need a keyboard and a screen, and a fully functioning OS backing it up.
I have all of the Office apps on my iPad, but I have no use for a laptop anymore. The Mac Mini can hook up to my keyboard and mouse via bluetooth and I own a 23" monitor and sometimes I do mirroring from my iPad to my 50" TV and plus I own a 4TB WD My Cloud, so I got plenty of space for music, movies, pics and whatever else. My portable PC will be basically be my iPad, iPhone and maybe a Surface Pro?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Interesting how some of the predictions turned out way off. Game Center icon is still there, Healthbook turned out to be just 'Health' and is mainly run by third-party apps, and it seemed like nobody got iCloud Drive or the 'flatter' look of OS X Yosemite and the major changes to that OS, including the integration with iOS.

Makes me wonder how wrong they are on the iPhone 6.