Apple’s next big app idea: Starting your car

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Apple’s next big app for the iPhone: Starting your car

When the Apple iPhone first appeared, its presence flummoxed automakers which typically need a couple of years minimum to adapt to new technology. Today, most automakers offer their own apps for some of their more technologically advanced models, up to Volkswagen designing a special-edition Beetle as an iPhone accessory. But now Apple has its own ideas about what the iPhone could do beyond play music — namely, replacing your key fob for locking and starting.

In a U.S. patent application made public last week titled "Accessing a Vehicle Using Public Devices," Apple engineers described a method for using two iPhones and a vehicle's Bluetooth wireless connection to not only lock and unlock the doors, but start the engine and track the vehicle's movements via GPS. Apple envisions the iPhone becoming far smarter than the typical plastic key; the patent describes ways a user could authorize a second phone over email to act as a key, but limit the car's top speed, or even the hours at which it would turn on.

Another Apple patent uncovered at the same time by AppleInsider revealed a related system that would help iPhone owners find their car in a parking garage using a combination of GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth — but would depend on parking decks outfitted with sensors to work.

Both suggest Apple has a growing appetite for making its devices a central part of owning a car. Another Apple site, 9to5Mac, said today that the next version of the company's iOS mobile system software may be designed to handle more in-car navigation and services, with automotive upgrades to Maps and Siri. Several automakers have said they would integrate Siri's services into their vehicles, but those efforts have been slow to deploy — thanks again to the long lead time automakers need to change software and hardware.

Apple's interest in getting behind the wheel may stem from increasing safety concerns about drivers using devices on the road. Last week, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released voluntary guidelines for automakers on how they should design in-car entertainment and information displays — but there's no federal agency that has a clear role for cellphones used by drivers, leaving 10 states to bar any hand-held cellphone use while driving. Such laws would be harder to pass if you can't even start the car without your iPhone.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I already have that with my Viper alarm system on my van. It works quite well too. They have an app and it does pretty much all of that.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I was going to say, don't they have apps that already do this? Although making it a standard feature would be nice too.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I am sure that Apple will do it better, like the Pebble watch if Apple makes one will be functional, elegant and very well done. They rarely miss.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I drive 40,000 miles a year and use them everyday. They are as accurate as google which is what I used before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so give me a break!

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
I drive 40,000 miles a year and use them everyday. They are as accurate as google which is what I used before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so give me a break!

They aren't nearly as accurate as Google's maps are in my area.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Never had an issue with Apple maps. Only advantage with Google is transit directions. That's one thing apple is missing.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
I cover Coastal SC and GA and they have been just as good. It takes time and I am sure that they will only get better.

In my area Apple's maps aren't bad in terms of actual directions but rather the address of businesses. Sometimes it is off by several blocks. In one instance it is off by nearly 20 miles. I have seen a few instances where it wants me to go the wrong way down a one way street. Provided they do not abandon the map app I see a lot of improvement in the future.