Are They A One-Hit Wonder?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Bruce Springsteen recorded a live version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town in 1975. Columbia first released the song as a single in 1981. In 1985, it went to number one on Billboard's annual Christmas singles chart.

And yes, I forgot about Pop Muzik. M was a studio group led by Robin Edmond Scott. The song went to number one in the US and was their only chart appearance here. In the UK, it reached #2 and three more chart hits followed in 1979-80. A 40th-anniversary remix of Pop Muzik was released in 2019. Hurry and listen!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
But we know better...
I know! What the hell?
When I saw your answer to Gerardo I lol'd. And I mean literally burst out into audible laughter.
:hatsoff:
Berlin is crazy to me, because the stations that play them (today) only play Metro and Sex, never Take My Breath Away
No Nore Words was huge!
Don't forget Springsteen who NEVER had a #1 hit, closest was (I believe!) Dancing in the Dark which hit #2.
That shocks me. Born in the USA never hit #1?
Along with a story about how Richard Blade used to bang the lead singer, undoubtedly!
That bastard can't get through a show without bragging about banging her.

Reactions: sadchild

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Born In The USA reached #8 on Billboard's rock chart and #9 on the Hot 100. Five of Springsteen's songs – Dancing In The Dark, Trapped, Brilliant Disguise, Tunnel Of Love and Human Touch – went to number one on the rock chart but he never had a number-one song on the Hot 100.

Being a southern California native, I always liked Cheech & Chong's Born In East L.A. much better than Born In The USA. "I know what it's like to be 'born to run.'" Classic!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Nick Lowe has had a bunch of hits (probably not top 40), so I don't put him in that group.
I do have his greatest hits CD. But I also have Tony Bazil's ($1 CD bin at a Columbus Bookstore) so that doesn't say much. If they didn't make the top 40, he is one hit (IMHO) unless he has some really strong cult following (like Grateful Dead).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You think of all the great Bob Segar songs in the 70s and early 80s and then you realize that he never hit #1 til 1987 with Shakedown. That song isn't even one of his best and not one he consistently does in concerts now even.

This may be another topic: great artists who never hit #1 on the charts.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Great artists who never hit #1 on the charts? Each of Blood Sweat & Tears' first three chart hits peaked at #2. Five Creedence Clearwater Revival songs peaked at #2. Neither group ever had a number-one hit. Brook Benton had 58 chart hits and eight top tens. His biggest hit, The Boll Weevil Song, spent three weeks at #2 in 1961. It couldn't get above Bobby Lewis' Tossin' & Turnin', which was number one for seven weeks. James Brown placed 107 songs on the Hot 100 but never had a number-one hit. His biggest hit was I Got You, which reached #3. He did have 17 number ones on the R&B chart, though.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
No, Open Arms was Journey's biggest hit and it peaked at #2. Every time I hear the song, I think of the scene in the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup where Mrs. Teasdale tells Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho), "I welcome you with open arms" and Firefly says, "Is that so? How late do you stay open?"

Journey's Separate Ways was number one on the mainstream rock chart, then known as "Top Tracks," for four weeks in February-March 1983.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Adding this to my original list (in the first post) of acts that had two top 40 hits ("technically" not a one-hit wonder) but may still be considered a one-hit wonder "subjectively".

Eddie Grant #2 & #26

I say YES, subjectively a one-hit wonder. "Romancing The Stone" was forgotten within ten years of peaking.

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I should mention George Burns. He and and his wife Gracie had a #6 hit in July 1933 with a comedy recording cleverly titled titled George Burns & Gracie Allen. More than 46 years would elapse before Burns made his second appearance on the chart. I Wish I Was Eighteen Again reached #15 on the country chart and #49 on the Hot 100 in February 1980. It was written by Sonny Throckmorton, who has penned more than a thousand country songs including Smooth Sailin', Why Not Me, Friday Night Blues, The Way I Am, The Cowboy Rides Away and Thinkin' Of A Rendezvous. "Say good night, Gracie." "Good night, Gracie."