Artie News

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
He's struggling for sure. He didn't expect this I bet. The show is done come December one way or the other. I've been listening since 2011 to see how the Artie situation would play out. I wished it hadn't taken this long to come to a head. Artie is so fucked and lazy while having so much talent. It's a complicated situation that won't come out clean for any of us I'm afraid.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Did Artie's mother or sister or someone in his family lay some blame on Howard for Artie going off the deep end? I thinking this is Howard's revenge.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
MarksFriggin Facebook page has a few updates. Basically, Artie says "Stop bringing it up. It's ancient news by now."

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Howard's avoiding something. He either resents Artie and wants to passive-aggressively hurt him, or he's avoiding deep internal emotional pain surrounding the whole episode within himself. It could be both.

I'm just left shaking my head. Artie has devoted a couple of hours over the last couple of weeks expressing himself about this and doing it in a respectful but honest way. Howard spent a couple of minutes deflecting. How can you seem to care so little, Howard? TALK TO ARTIE! HAVE HIM ON! PUT THIS ISSUE TO BED FINALLY! STOP SURROUNDING YOURSELF WITH SYCOPHANTS!

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I remember once - a long time ago - when Howard was riffing on how he felt about Gary, he said that Gary was like a door to him. That he had no feelings for him. He has since expressed great affection for Gary but I think Howard is self-centered to a degree beyond that of most mortals. I think Artie is virtually dead to him these days.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
All of these workers have had years to stand up to howard. They sit and take shit, get paid for it. So what. That's their thing. We just listen for a few hours a week for our own reasons. Gary could have left in 1987.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Like it or not, Howard is the boss of the show. If one of your employees was an overweight junkie who would show up to work under the influence of God-only-knows-what and tried to kill himself, how would you handle it?

Reactions: microbob

microbob

Oct 14, 2008
I remember Artie telling Howard, That his exit from the show would not end well. It happened just the way he predicted years ago. Now it's time for Artie and his fans to move on.

Reactions: HecticArt

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Like it or not, Howard is the boss of the show. If one of your employees was an overweight junkie who would show up to work under the influence of God-only-knows-what and tried to kill himself, how would you handle it?
If I were Howard I would recognize that Artie was his muse and that the greatest radio he ever did was with Artie as his sidekick. I think Howard actually read Artie's book and knew what a damaged individual he was long before the "incident". It's one thing not to bring back Artie as sidekick. It's another to treat him like he's dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bark

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
If I were Howard I would recognize that Artie was his muse and that the greatest radio he ever did was with Artie as his sidekick. I think Howard actually read Artie's book and knew what a damaged individual he was long before the "incident". It's one thing not to bring back Artie as sidekick. It's another to treat him like he's dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
...and twist the truth to make it seem that you're a good guy doing nothing wrong. That reeks of something...Jay Leno would do.

(Oh yes I did!)

Reactions: scotchandcigar

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
But, other than Jackie, who has been on after they left the show? Billy West left and the day after, Howard went into full "Who's Billy?" mode. Of course, a few of them had a true banishment like AJ Benza, Elegant Elliot Offen and others, but even then, once you're out of the cast, Howard gives you very little time.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I think he interviewed KC Armstrong earlier this year
But, other than Jackie, who has been on after they left the show? Billy West left and the day after, Howard went into full "Who's Billy?" mode. Of course, a few of them had a true banishment like AJ Benza, Elegant Elliot Offen and others, but even then, once you're out of the cast, Howard gives you very little time.
Howard went into full "I guess Billy's mad at us" mode after Billy left. And I think Billy was mad. Wasn't a money thing? AJ Benza, Elegant Elliot Offen and the others are not remotely in the same league as Artie.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard went into full "I guess Billy's mad at us" mode after Billy left. And I think Billy was mad. Wasn't a money thing? AJ Benza, Elegant Elliot Offen and the others are not remotely in the same league as Artie.
I believe Billy left because they wanted him to sign a disclaimer saying WXRK, Infinity Broadcasting, etc. weren't responsible for any of his bits such as Racist Marge Schott, etc. When he refused to sign, he was done. This may have been part of contract negotiations, but I can't remember.

Reactions: Bark

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I believe Billy left because they wanted him to sign a disclaimer saying WXRK, Infinity Broadcasting, etc. weren't responsible for any of his bits such as Racist Marge Schott, etc. When he refused to sign, he was done. This may have been part of contract negotiations, but I can't remember.
I recall this too. Also cause for concern was that Jackie and Fred were feeding him some of the lines. Billy felt like he was being hung out to dry and on his own in the event of a lawsuit.

If true, I would have left too. He's been doing all right though.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
He's on Conan tomorrow night... 11 PM ET and PT and at 12:30 AM (aka 30 minutes after the 11 PM show ends.)

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
last week on his podcast art said a few times that, after expenses, he makes $208,000 annually from the podcast. after some quick math that means he has around 2,5oo paid subscriptions at $7 per month. thats a solid income, but it also seems like a kinda low number. my guess is that he likely doubles or triples his number of actual listeners when you factor in people who steal the show.

anyway, i always enjoy hearing about this kind of stuff. i listen to a ton of podcasts and most of them are guarded when talking about the number of listeners they have.