As of 6:15am EST, Artie doesn't exist...

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I understand that the situation is such that they may not be able to discuss it at this time. My disappointment stems from the way the topic was handled. Everyone inside and outside the show knows that this is the one thing that the audience is most anxious to hear about today. If Howard had opened the show by saying "As you may know, Artie was hospitalized over the weekend. This is a serious situation. His family has asked that we respect their privacy and so I'm going to honor that request and not comment about it. They can make whatever statement they want to when they feel it is appropriate", I would have been fine with that. Instead, Howard's chosen course of action was to completely ignore the topic for 45 minutes (and joke around as if nothing was wrong), then say "I'm not going to comment". That felt like a cop-out.
exactly. what do you think the fans care more about. Howards trophy wife being bashed on SFN, lunch with jackie, or why/what has happened to the co-host that has been out for a week and hospitalized?

It just goes to show howards priorities.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
I understand that the situation is such that they may not be able to discuss it at this time. My disappointment stems from the way the topic was handled. Everyone inside and outside the show knows that this is the one thing that the audience is most anxious to hear about today. If Howard had opened the show by saying "As you may know, Artie was hospitalized over the weekend. This is a serious situation. His family has asked that we respect their privacy and so I'm going to honor that request and not comment about it. They can make whatever statement they want to when they feel it is appropriate", I would have been fine with that. Instead, Howard's chosen course of action was to completely ignore the topic for 45 minutes (and joke around as if nothing was wrong), then say "I'm not going to comment". That felt like a cop-out.
Well said, that to me hits the nail on the head. As I said before, there was definitely a way to handle the Artie situation without "crossing a line" his family may have set. They could even have poked a little fun at some of Artie's past antics, the falling asleep, etc. Today's offerring was just plain LAZY. Howard was too lazy to prepare a statement or deal with it other than to NOT deal with it. I don't even think Artie's family asked Howard not to say anything; it sounded like Howard just read the TMZ.com blurb and accepted the official statement as his own. LAZY.

Also lazy is not figuring out what to do with the empty chair. Based on the little interaction with Benjy today, turning on his mic is NOT the answer. I mean, shell out even just a FEW $$$ and rotatate comedians in the chair again - if they could afford to do it at KROQ then they can certainly do it at Sirius. Instead it just feels like they don't even consider they have an audience to satisfy; they've got their money, they possibly won't be back in a year, so why bother actually trying to be entertaining? You can almost hear Howard looking at the clock when he takes calls and goes on a rant against Leno or how he invented everything.

I'm glad the music stations are as good as they are on Sirius, I just wish the Howard 100/101 efforts were as strong.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Nobody here knows any of the facts of the situation. If they are not talking about it, there is probably a very good reason why. Do you really think that they are quiet because they just don't feel like discussing Artie, or that it isn't an interesting story? Artie's family is probably going through hell right now (again) and maybe they don't want to have it all aired on the radio, no matter how entitled internet people think they are to hear it. Artie has crossed into KC territory where we probably won't know the gory details until long after this has been dealt with.
I get it and didn't expect all the details. I don't know what I was expecting actually there obviously something seriously wrong with him so I knew they weren't going to touch on the hospital deal however I thought there would be a definitive "Artie' coming back of fired" I don't know why. It just seemed different this time I thought they'd address that.
However, ,maybe him entering the hospital threw a monkey wrench into any expanded statement they were going to make.
just a guess.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
One thing about Howard 100 NEWS.

They are a complete joke and only report on what they can.

They won't say anything about Artie but they'll report non-stop about Captain Janks and end his life.
Wasn't some of the purpose of the news team to mock/make fun of the regular news channels?

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
exactly. what do you think the fans care more about. Howards trophy wife being bashed on SFN, lunch with jackie, or why/what has happened to the co-host that has been out for a week and hospitalized?

It just goes to show howards priorities.
You could have asked the same exact question when Billy left. "What do you think the fans care about more? Howard's lunch with Allison and the kids, Robin's weekend, or why Billy is no longer there?"

Last time around, Howard took a phone call and asked the guy "Billy? What about him?" or something like "Who's Billy?"

Maybe he learned his lesson this time around by not wanting to fuel the fans' fire?

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
This site has criticism, but it doesn't have the hatred of SFN.
Don't kid yourself, it's only like one degree off. You guys bitch EVERY day about anything slightly wrong, people are reading secret messages into the music selection and everyone claims they aren't listening or can't stand it but you're all still here knowing exactly what's going on. You rag relentlessly on Howard, Beth, Artie, Robin and anyone else you can create negativity about and get endless joy at any horse joke no matter how lame.

The only difference between this HS forum and SFN is Tom Taylor is cool.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Don't kid yourself, it's only like one degree off. You guys bitch EVERY day about anything slightly wrong, people are reading secret messages into the music selection and everyone claims they aren't listening or can't stand it but you're all still here knowing exactly what's going on. You rag relentlessly on Howard, Beth, Artie, Robin and anyone else you can create negativity about and get endless joy at any horse joke no matter how lame.

I would almost agree with you on everything you said. The one big thing about this forum compared to SFN is atleast the guys hear respect our opinion. If you would have posted your statement on SFN it would have been followd up with..... fuck you, fuck Howard, what the hell do you know anyway..... and so on. Trust me this forum is way better than than SFN. Also your not the last non hating Stern fan. I still enjoy the show. Was I disapointed in the non Artie talk today yep, but life goes on.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
then don't post here or read the threads :rolleyes:

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA

Normally, I agree with you Scionic Man. I'm always first to defend the show because I still love it and I usually don't get involved in the Artie bashing, whether he is there or whether he isn't. However, I think as loyal fans of the show that have been listening for year and support Howard in all of his endeavors he could at least say that he spoke with Artie, he is doing ok or he isn't and that Artie will be calling in or be back or maybe he won't be back.

But to ignore it and then just gloss over it is ridiculous. I understand not wanting to air all of Artie's dirty laundry on the air but something more than 30 seconds of airtime is needed.

And, just to clarify, me paying 12.95 per month isn't what I'm talking about with "supporting Howard." I mean listening everyday, calling in, and basically just being in his general world where you care about what he talks about, his opinions, etc. I mean really, this is almost like Robin just not being there one day and Howard offering no explanation. Artie is a MAJOR part of the show, not like KC was, not like JD, Will, etc. Artie was the number two person on the show behind Howard.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Funny how they're playing AC DC music this morning, this is the 2nd AC DC song already and its only 7:15. Not reading anything into it just thought it was funny.
Because he was......FIIIIYAAAHHHEEDDDD!!!!!!!!?????

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I agree. Jackie is fucking terrible. If they bring him back I will shoot both of my lifetimed radios. Does anyone really want to hear all of his plugs again?
Actually, I enjoyed the music in the background during his plugs, replete with Robin's laugh and the occasional Howard imitation of Jackie. The crew come to life when they get to make fun of Jackie, even in the most heated moments when it appeared their was some true anger and bitterness coming from Howard, it invariably ended up as a ball busting fest against Jackie, which made for funny radio.

Almost every aspect of Artie's last three plus years has been an incredible bummer. And when it hasn't been tragic, it's been boring. But...there's still tons of people that think his nodding off in the studio is radio gold, people that still post here from time to time, so who the fuck can account for taste?

Artie is the "still living" microcosm of the embodiment of the Howard Stern Show. It ain't dead it, but it might as well be, and at times it would appear that it also wants to be.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Lets not be like some other sites. Whatever Artie is going through let's show him some love. Ain't cool to kick a man when he's down.:cool:

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
Howard was so full of shit about everything today, but I still listened to every second of every hour, haha.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Howard was so full of shit about everything today, but I still listened to every second of every hour, haha.
Artie's family knows "people". The "Family" asked for privacy. What would you do? He might wake up and find Beths decapitated horse head between his legs if he didn't respect the "Families" request.