Baby, it's cold outside!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
In the December of 1984 I still lived with my parents in Regina, Saskatchewan. The highest temperature for the month prior to 12/24 was -38c (almost the same in F as -40c = -40f). Nightimes went down usually below -50c (-58f). We didn't go out much. Cars were plugged in but only sometimes started. We did go to church on Xmas eve. And while looking at lights I got out to get a Big Gulp at the local 7-11. I honestly felt warmth on my face. It had reached -16c (just above 0f). It is the only time in my life -16c has felt warm. It warmed up more the last week but I remember that month still when I think of the cold now.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Extreme weather fascinates me, so I enjoy reading all your stories, and I'm always watching the Weather Channel coverage.

People start to panic around here when it gets in the low 30's Fahrenheit. Schools close when it gets in the 20's because of black ice and nobody around here knows how to drive in those conditions.

Reactions: semipenguin

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Extreme weather fascinates me, so I enjoy reading all your stories, and I'm always watching the Weather Channel coverage.

People start to panic around here when it gets in the low 30's Fahrenheit. Schools close when it gets in the 20's because of black ice and nobody around here knows how to drive in those conditions.
My wife was in NC for a while and they would close the schools if a flake of snow fell.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
-26 early this morning. its now at -20. but no wind gusts. it should be around -12 at 2pm when I have to venture out.
I'll have 4 layers of everything. I'll be like that boy that flopped over in The Christmas Story

40 degrees on Saturday though, yay!

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
-26 early this morning. its now at -20. but no wind gusts. it should be around -12 at 2pm when I have to venture out.
I'll have 4 layers of everything. I'll be like that boy that flopped over in The Christmas Story

40 degrees on Saturday though, yay!
Those are ambient temps, not wind chill?

Wolf

The Lone Wolf
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
See, when you post dik stuff like this, I'm compelled to point out that it's not called a Pilot Vortex.
It's Polar Vortex not Pilot Vortex. You know the dumb iPhone autocorrect changes stuff.

I didn't post any dik pics? I'm not getting banned here. :p I just wanted to make you guys feel warmer.

Plus you know when it's winter time, I get to brag. But when it's summer time, you guys get to brag.

Last edited: