Banjos And Xylophones In Popular Music

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Banjos and xylophones are offbeat instruments for rock/pop music, but they show up in some notable songs. Here's a few

Banjo:

Neil Young – Old Man

Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen

BTW, I came across this 2nd live clip, that's easily one of the worst performances of any song by any group. This may explain their one-hit status.

Xylophone:

Gotye/Kimbra – Somebody That I Used to Know

Violent Femmes – Gone Daddy Gone

If you know of others, post it here. And please, no Mumford & Sons. Yes, I know they have a banjo, but it's a part of their band, so it doesn't really fit the thread. Plus, they suck.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i know i'm going back to the well yet again but i really love when phish decides to dabble in bluegrass. when that happens, the banjo is never too far behind.

edit: hmm...now that i actually read the thread and not just the title i guess this may be cheating because those songs are not rock or pop. but they are from a rock band, so i'll need a ruling scotch.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
i know i'm going back to the well yet again but i really love when phish decides to dabble in bluegrass. when that happens, the banjo is never too far behind.

edit: hmm...now that i actually read the thread and not just the title i guess this may be cheating because those songs are not rock or pop. but they are from a rock band, so i'll need a ruling scotch.
You can post anything you want, but I think it's better if people come up with songs that everyone's familiar with from the radio.

Reactions: JHDK