Bonds. Clemens. Sosa. On Baseball HOF ballot

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Being that Bud Selig will likely be commissioner for a few years, and will likely have one of his surrogates in place to take over for him once he retires, it's unlikely that Pete Rose will ever get into the Hall of Fame.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
More nominations like this, and the baseball HOF will be as meaningful as the R&R HOF.

It already is. Lots of great players have never been enshrined in Cooperstown.

Clemens & Bonds should go in. McGuire, too.

Sosa & Palmaro, no.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It already is. Lots of great players have never been enshrined in Cooperstown.

Clemens & Bonds should go in. McGuire, too.

Sosa & Palmaro, no.

No to clemens and bonds. They tainted their carreers with dope. No different than tainting with gambling.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Pete Rose - No. Bet on baseball, possibly even bet on his own team to lose.
Barry Bonds - No. Tainted Hank Aaron's Home Run record by juicing.
Mark McGuire - No. Same deal with Roger Maris.
Sammy Sosa - No. See McGuire.
Rafael Palmerio - No. Was a fair-to-middlin' player to begin with, juicing up made him better, but that shouldn't get him in.

Roger Clemens - Not first ballot. As you'll recall he was found not guilty of lying to congress about using steroids, and McNamee wasn't the best witness for the prosecution. He was a stud pitcher in his day, and there's no real evidence that has poisoned that. For even being associated with it, he shouldn't be voted in first ballot. But I do think he deserves a shot. Yes, he's a douchebag, but there are plenty of douchebags in the hall of fame (Ty Cobb anyone?)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I'd be willing to forgive Rose for gambling, but it just irks me all the lying he's done about it since.. and only coming clean on certain issues when he's ready to sell a book or something.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
MLB Press Release
01/03/2013 9:08 AM ET

2013 National Baseball Hall of Fame election results to air live on January 9
Costas, Amsinger, Gammons, Heyman, Kenny, Leiter, Millar, Reynolds, Rosenthal, Verducci & Watney on Hall of Fame Coverage Starting at 12:00 p.m. ET

MLB Network to Air Special 2013 Hall of Fame Roundtable Show on Tuesday, January 8 at 9:00 p.m. ET

The results of the 2013 National Baseball Hall of Fame ballot will be announced live exclusively on MLB Network and simulcast on MLB.com on Wednesday, January 9 at 2:00 p.m. ET as part of a three-hour announcement show beginning at 12:00 p.m. ET. Featuring National Baseball Hall of Fame President Jeff Idelson, coverage will include interviews with electees and be anchored by Greg Amsinger, Brian Kenny and Heidi Watney with MLB Network’s Bob Costas, Al Leiter, Kevin Millar, Harold Reynolds, Hall of Fame award-winning baseball writer Peter Gammons, and Hall of Fame voters Jon Heyman, Ken Rosenthal and Tom Verducci. Hall of Fame coverage and reaction will continue on MLB Network’s Intentional Talk and MLB Tonight starting live at 5:00 p.m. ET.

MLB Network will air a special Hall of Fame Roundtable show on Tuesday, January 8 at 9:00 p.m. ET, featuring Costas, Leiter, Reynolds, Verducci, Sports on Earth senior columnist Joe Posnanski and SiriusXM sports radio host Chris “Mad Dog†Russo discussing the highly-debated 2013 ballot.

The Baseball Writers' Association of America (BBWAA) 2013 Hall of Fame ballot features 37 candidates with 13 holdovers from previous elections, including Jeff Bagwell, Jack Morris, Tim Raines and Lee Smith, and 24 newcomers, including Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mike Piazza, Curt Schilling and Sammy Sosa.

Umpire Hank O’Day, Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert and 19th Century catcher and third baseman Deacon White were elected to the Hall of Fame in December by the Pre-Integration Era Committee. O’Day, Ruppert and White will be inducted along with any candidates who receive votes on at least 75 percent of all ballots cast from next Wednesday's BBWAA vote. The late Toronto Blue Jays broadcaster Tom Cheek, who called the first 4,306 regular season games and 41 Postseason games in Toronto Blue Jays history, has been selected as the 2013 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award presented annually for excellence in baseball broadcasting. MLB.com senior correspondent Paul Hagen, who has covered baseball for nearly four decades, has been named the 2013 winner of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award presented annually to a sportswriter for "meritorious contributions to baseball writing.â€

The 2013 election marks the 70th Hall of Fame election held by the BBWAA. The 2013 National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air exclusively on MLB Network on July 28.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Read where the equivalent of a straw poll hag Biggio on 71.3 percent of ballots, Bonds on 60 something and the rest of the PED abusers far behind. IIRC the last time nobody got 75% was 1960.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
It's time that the BBHOF to look at players peers as voters to induction :idea:

The BBWAA clearly have their head firmly imbedded up their collective asses! :mad:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Road trip!

Looks like Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa got lost on the way to the HOF. They shouldn't have taken that left on the "Hall of Fame Bypass."

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Not entirely stunning, although I thought Dale Murphy might make it.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Why does everyone focus on hitters when pitchers were also using? It was an even playing field. Back when I played it was called "playing naked" to NOT be on something.