Boston Never Say Die

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Well...Tampa Bay will have another day to rest of the bullpen after all.
All those people that left in the 7th should have their tickets to all future games revoked forever. I hope Stephen King wasn't reading a fucking book through this.

This was one of the all time great comebacks in post season history.

Amazing.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
It might be another thirty years before you see a comeback like that again in the post season. Thank god for TiVo, I watched until the Boston half of the seventh, I came back half and hour later and was like, "Ahwahbuhaahahwhat!!!". Some of those at bats were of the total grind 'em out variety. It really looked like Tampa Bay's bully were shitting in their pants. Ballfour(aptly named) really looked like he didn't have it.

That said, the Red Sox still have to win two more. If nothing else, the people of Boston have been charmed to see such a great, gutsy ball club these last few years.

Brian

Banned
Oct 12, 2008
the odds are still against them, since all the rays have to do is win once... both games will be at home too.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
the odds are still against them, since all the rays have to do is win once... both games will be at home too.

Never talk about the odds with Boston. Previously coming back from 0-3 and 1-3 on the road in the ALCS means the odds are for suckers. Not my opinion, because I think this year is different, but most fans up here think "We got em' right where we want 'em."

There must be this thing about the Red Sox that can break the back of any team. You saw it with the Yankees in '04 and Cleveland last year. I don't know the psyche of the other team, but it must be a bitch to throw everything you have at them and still . . . they just keep on coming.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I can't take much more of Jonathan Papelbon. This guy has to be one of the slowest pitchers in the league. There were a couple times in that 7th inning last night when he took over a minute between pitches. Throw the damn ball!

With Manny out of the playoffs now, maybe B.J. Upton can get some love? In the playoffs, he's batting .342 wtih 6 HR's and 14 RBI's...not bad.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I can't take much more of Jonathan Papelbon. This guy has to be one of the slowest pitchers in the league. There were a couple times in that 7th inning last night when he took over a minute between pitches. Throw the damn ball!

With Manny out of the playoffs now, maybe B.J. Upton can get some love? In the playoffs, he's batting .342 wtih 6 HR's and 14 RBI's...not bad.

I'm just amazed at the balls on Francona for going to his All-Star closer in the 7th when losing 7-0. Most managers would have reached for the mop, but Francona manages like it was Game 7 and they're up by 1.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm just amazed at the balls on Francona for going to his All-Star closer in the 7th when losing 7-0. Most managers would have reached for the mop, but Francona manages like it was Game 7 and they're up by 1.

Since Francona got that job in '04, he's basically done no wrong. As for that 7th inning...if I'm remembering correctly, I think Papelbon came in with two runners on, no outs, and the score at 5-0. At that point, Francona is thinking he can't let this game get even further away from him. It is an elimination game, after all, so you've gotta pull out all the stops. So he brings in his best reliever to shut them down...ultimately the Rays scored those 2 baserunners, but I liked Francona's thinking.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Since Francona got that job in '04, he's basically done no wrong. As for that 7th inning...if I'm remembering correctly, I think Papelbon came in with two runners on, no outs, and the score at 5-0. At that point, Francona is thinking he can't let this game get even further away from him. It is an elimination game, after all, so you've gotta pull out all the stops. So he brings in his best reliever to shut them down...ultimately the Rays scored those 2 baserunners, but I liked Francona's thinking.

You are correct, Paps let those 2 runners score. I have to admit, I was half watching at that point, having resigned to losing. I guess I've still got a little pre-2004 Red Sox Fan in me.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH

I agree 1000%. I liked Francona's thinking as there is "no tomorrow". I think Francona putting Papelbon in maybe gave the team a slight lift saying we will hold them in check then see what will happen. No way do you put "mop up" guys into to pitch in that situation.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not too worried with Francona's thinking, he'll be alright with his baseball decisions, but something inside of me is telling me that Francona believes in his superstitious bubblegum rituals as having something to do with the comeback. That guy was reloading between at bats, between innings...practically between pitches.

Perhaps he's channeling the "force" by way Bazooka Joe(who by the way was sorely ignored and not talked about during the last debates).

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I was clued to the last part of the game last night and when I saw the score was tied 7-7 bottom of the 9th and couple of guys on base and when they scored and won it 8-7. I almost went threw my roof! :clap:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I hate the Red Sox. Now if they win, it will be even more rehashing what a great team they are rather than what a lucky team they are.

RoadRunner

Oct 13, 2008
huh? went a million years without winning, won a couple, now you're ready to lose again? don't forget the rays are gonna be in your face for awhile
The Rays are this years Rockies. A team that put it all together for a great run, but who are doomed by the broken economics of baseball.

I hate the Red Sox. Now if they win, it will be even more rehashing what a great team they are rather than what a lucky team they are.
Yep, when then Yankees win, they're "buying championships". When the Red Sox with the 2nd highest payroll win, it's a "Cindrerella story" we're all supposed to feel good about!:confused: