Breaking news: Howard's company suing SiriusXM

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Howard Stern's Company Sues SiriusXM Radio | TMZ.com

According to the suit, filed in New York and obtained by TMZ, Sirius courted Howard to come there in the first place by promising him a share "in any success that the company achieved." But the suit claims, once Sirius conquered its chief competitor -- XM -- and acquired more than 20 million subscribers, it decided on its own Howard had been paid enough.

The suit claims, "Sirius needed Stern more than Stern needed Sirius."

The suit seeks unspecified damages.

Calls to Sirius were not returned.

I'm surprised Langford didn't cover this but instead chose to cover Captain Janks for 500th time.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
WOW!

If Sirius made that deal, they should live up to it. It doesn't matter how much money Howard makes, a deal is a deal.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
HOLY SHIT! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

Remember how Howard has been saying lately how he brought 20 million subscribers? He's including the people who've been XM subscribers since 1997. This is what the suit is about. He is claiming responsibility for the people who were already with XM.

Notice Howard at every single talk show appearance has been saying he brought over 20 million.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
Huh. For the longest time Howard seems to have been bitter about several things regarding Sirius XM, but this comes out of nowhere.

Yes he constantly says Sirius treats him like the enemy - perhaps this is the major reason (the deal) why he is bitter

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
HOLY SHIT! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

Remember how Howard has been saying lately how he brought 20 million subscribers? He's including the people who've been XM subscribers since 1997. This is what the suit is about. He is claiming responsibility for the people who were already with XM.

Notice Howard at every single talk show appearance has been saying he brought over 20 million.

Do you know what the sub figures were at the time of the merger for each service?

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Nope. I do remember them saying Sirius had 7 million. I do think he got a bonus for the merger though, it was in the paper for around $20 million and Mel received $31million.

The problem too is that John Malone basically rescued SiriusXM from bankruptcy. You think they wanna pay Stern for people he never brought over?

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
Nope. I do remember them saying Sirius had 7 million. I do think he got a bonus for the merger though, it was in the paper for around $20 million and Mel received $31million.

The problem too is that John Malone basically rescued SiriusXM from bankruptcy. You think they wanna pay Stern for people he never brought over?

We don't know what the contract language stipulates at this point, but Howard’s management apparently thinks it favors them.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Can't take credit for finding this but now at least we know why Howard has been saying that the company doesn't respect him.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Yes. Remember how many of us were saying that Howard could not claim he brought 20 million subscribers to Sirius just because it inherited the XM subscribers, many of whom got their subscriptions by buying a car. Howard's line is that because of him, XM collapsed and he should be credited with those XM subscriptions even thought none of the subscribers signed up for Sirius. Sort of spoils of war. Would be ironic if Howard brought Sirius down by winning his lawsuit.