Breaking news: Howard's company suing SiriusXM

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I don't think anyone is saying it's fake; actually, to the contrary, it's obviously real.

My point was that it reads poorly and is very unprofessional for a lawsuit. It's almost as if a fanboy wrote it.

The lawfirm is, according to many, one of the top 10 in the city. The purpose of complaint is just to set forth the elements of the "cause of action", which is the ground on which you expect to get a money judgment. The persuasive argument comes when the plaintiff's lawyer sums up the case before a judge or jury after trial or when he or she makes a motion for summary judgment. A complaint is not supposed to be a press release although they often read that way, particularly in the federal court.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
sirius should have NEVER re-signed howard. they could have signed bubba, corolla, dr laura, limbaugh, and all of howard's staff for less total money than they are paying howard for his soon to be 3 days a week and endless vacations. I'd fill his channels with gary, john hein, ralph, bubba, miserable men, ferrall, and the rest of the crew. he wouldn't even be missed.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Remember when Scott Greenstein approached Gary to see if he could do the show on his own? That's who they would hire if Howard left. Scott Greenstein sucks.

Oh and Sirius is trying to save money big time. Today I noticed the number for the Wrap Up Show was 1-888-Stern-101. Before they had two lines Stern-100 and Stern-101. If you wanted to call the WUS you would call Stern-100 but now in order to save money they ditched that line. It's amazing how cheap Sirius has gotten.

Howard recently revealed that Neil Rogers was supposed to be on his channels but Sirius had no money for him. I tell you this guy was a legend down in Miami. Whenever his show came on I would shut Howard off and the guy was 66 years old and still putting on a good show.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr5P4Sin4cc]YouTube - Neil Rogers - Caller defends fraternities[/ame]

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I have a feeling that bubba's channels will get shows sooner than H101. they are already pumping out a sh*tload of shows with their ancillary staff:

1. local 488 (friday show with miller and 25 cent)
  2. debriefing show (m-th with miller, 25 cent, jabberjaw, and carl harris)
  3. manson show
  4. ned show
  5. brent conspiracy show
  6. spice's happy hour
  7. captain thunder and lasker racing show (boy they got some funny clips from this)

all this plus the bubba terrestrial show (m-f) and the bubba uncensored show 4 days a week.

and I dont think they are replaying their sirius shows. they simply allow u to download them. and spice already said he's looking to find more talent to fill the channels.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
sirius should have NEVER re-signed howard. they could have signed bubba, corolla, dr laura, limbaugh, and all of howard's staff for less total money than they are paying howard for his soon to be 3 days a week and endless vacations. I'd fill his channels with gary, john hein, ralph, bubba, miserable men, ferrall, and the rest of the crew. he wouldn't even be missed.

Howard one day a week is better than that crowd.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
Howard one day a week is better than that crowd.

he's a better broadcaster than they are, but as a whole, it'd make better business sense to have them all doing shows 5 days a week over what howard does now. and especially this version of howard in 2011. he's clearly at the bottom of his game.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map

Sirius would have committed corporate suicide not signing Howard. I know some of you guys love Bubba e.t. but face it, they’re not going to bring in any new subs to replace all the canceled subs that would have occurred if H left.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
I understand that Howard is suing because he claims SiriusXM violated the terms of his agreement, and that it is a monetary issue, and I am usually the first person to say it shouldn't matter how much money Howard has, but as this has the potential to

a) end the show on satellite, permanently,
and b) put SiriusXM out of business, potentially,

I would have to question how much Howard is expecting to gain out of this. $25 million? So he is the so-called $500 million dollar man (I know that is not entirely accurate, but it is not completely inaccurate, either), and he's got to quibble over $25 million more?

I just think there is a point where you weigh that you are potentially going to cause people to lose their jobs, you know you work for a company that isn't exactly solvent, and yet none of that matters so long as you have an opportunity to squeeze blood from a stone. It really doesn't seem right. Poor Howard, not enough money to stuff into mattresses, I guess.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
I understand that Howard is suing because he claims SiriusXM violated the terms of his agreement, and that it is a monetary issue, and I am usually the first person to say it shouldn't matter how much money Howard has, but as this has the potential to

a) end the show on satellite, permanently,
and b) put SiriusXM out of business, potentially,

How would either of these things occur?

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
How would either of these things occur?

If Howard loses, he potentially won't want to do the show anymore. If Howard wins, SiriusXM might try to claim even more financial hardship and look to get out of the Stern business, since he seems to be more trouble than he's worth. These are polar examples but not out of the realm of possibility.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
Rdog, your math is correct and incorrect at the same time. You want to include the revenue generated by the Stern show BUT you don't want to give the man his share of the money. Stern is covering the costs for his show and then some.

If you want to save Sirius you need Stern's positive cash flow AND you need to lose negative cash flow which is pretty much everything else. Oprah, NFL...get rid of these 2 and Sirius will be in better shape as they bring in close to NOTHING and cost hundreds of millions of $$$ every year to maintain.

Why not do that?

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
Not if Sirius breaks the contract by not paying him and not what the internet people think is enough money. I doubt the contract says X amount of money UNLESS the fools at digital radio central thinks it's too much.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Rdog, your math is correct and incorrect at the same time. You want to include the revenue generated by the Stern show BUT you don't want to give the man his share of the money. Stern is covering the costs for his show and then some.

If you want to save Sirius you need Stern's positive cash flow AND you need to lose negative cash flow which is pretty much everything else. Oprah, NFL...get rid of these 2 and Sirius will be in better shape as they bring in close to NOTHING and cost hundreds of millions of $$$ every year to maintain.

Why not do that?

I see what you're saying, and I think he is entitled to whatever was agreed upon - I am just not sure his definition of that is the same as SiriusXM's. On the surface, I would think it is absolutely ridiculous to claim XM's membership counts towards Howard's bonuses. And, obviously, it is hard for me to accept that a guy making as much as Howard should receive a little more at the potential cost of other people's jobs, etc. As I have said before, I think some of this stems from spite on Howard's part.

Oprah I can't speak to but I still believe the NFL is valuable to SiriusXM, and I know I personally listen to a bunch of games every season when I can't be near a TV or the game is not televised or what have you.

I would not be surprised at all if this was Howard's exit strategy so that he doesn't get the average fan (Bobo) to blame him if/when the show ends. "It's all SiriusXM's fault."

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
At the core of this is Howard being bitter he took a paycut. I don't know how that feeble-minded cretin can claim he *ever* had 20 million listeners, or that the XM listeners count towards his listenership. I remember chit-chatting with some people in a store buying XM radios once and they said they would never get Sirius BECAUSE of Howard Stern, they hated him. Something tells me that is not an isolated incident.d.

They hate a millionaire who spends his time saving dying birds on the beach, playing chess, and watching Dancing with the Stars with his wife?

The Butler

Oct 14, 2008
Canton-Massillon, Ohio
Oh and Sirius is trying to save money big time. Today I noticed the number for the Wrap Up Show was 1-888-Stern-101. Before they had two lines Stern-100 and Stern-101. If you wanted to call the WUS you would call Stern-100 but now in order to save money they ditched that line. It's amazing how cheap Sirius has gotten.

Stern-100 and Stern-101 are same number.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
What are you talking about? Sue just because you can? The man signed a contract that SIRIUS drew up that included performance bonuses. He reached these and they didn't pay him. Are you really insisting that he's supposed to just throw his arms up and say YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY AND I'LL JUST WORK FOR FREE because you think he has enough already?
WTF? Sirius did pay him for performance bonuses. What bonuses are missing here? And work for free, did he not just sign a 500 million dollar contract?

NOW I see how scumbag republicans are born...they get tired of people counting their money.
IWTF does that mean or have to do with anything?

Also what part of that is just "suing just because" are you talking about? Liability cases have nothing to do with a contract that isn't being fulfilled.
People sue all the time just because they can. Ohh I spilled hot coffee on myself, I'm gonna sue, yada yada.

The amount of money he has is meaningless in this discussion. If it was $5/hr or $5M/hr is irrelevant.

Maybe if Howard put in a little more effort it would be easier to see his side.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Stern-100 and Stern-101 are same number.

Indeed. It could even be STERN-10-69. :p

--------

Just listening to the replay and Mutt called in. He said that they'd "probably not" be able to talk about the lawsuit because "it's a matter of the channel they're on and Howard."

Mutt is such a lame-wad... oh wait, he's the one with the Scott G*******n gimmick.