Cancelled a radio today

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Who is it on this forum??? Someone's dad(?) is a trucker. Given the way the phone companies are charging for data, I think SiriusXM has a bright future. You can get in your vehicle and just drive for hours without having to worry about dropouts (mostly) or data overages.

And for the old foagies like our trucker friend, they don't want to mess with having to download apps and passwords and all that...they just want to plug it in and go.

Here's the T-Mobile map. From what I've heard, T-Mobile is one of the worst in terms of coverage:

Verizon map:
I have AT&T Mobile share at 10GB. I barely eclipse 4GB on a regular basis, that's using my hotspot where wifi is still not available or the connection sucks, listening to streaming radio and watching Netflix on my iPad, which is wifi only and I use the hotspot in place of Comcast when they slow down, or if I'm out of the house and don't feel like risking public Wifi. I've always thought the whole broadband coverage in rural areas thing was highly overblown since the population density in rural areas is minimal. 4G LTE is available in places where a majority of the population live, I can even get it with AT&T in some parts of rural colorado along I-70. When most vehicles now come with 4G hotspots as available (if not standard equipment) than that makes that argument even less valid.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
When most vehicles now come with 4G hotspots as available (if not standard equipment) than that makes that argument even less valid.
A 4G hotspot built into a car does not work if you're in a cellular dead zone. It's not magic. It works the exact same as your phone does when you have the hotspot turned on. It also does have data limits. I can't imagine too many people want to pay an additional data bill for their car to be a hotspot when most phones can already do it.

Reactions: HecticArt and hyson

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
And as I've mentioned before, I never venture in to any 'dead zones' with 4G. And I've also mentioned that I barely use 2/5 of my data allotment even in the heaviest of usage. Using 4GB with 10GB available. I also seem to remember mentioning that a majority of people who use 4G are also the majority of people who live inside the city limits where 4G is most widely available.

Reading is Fundamental.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
A 4G hotspot built into a car does not work if you're in a cellular dead zone. It's not magic. It works the exact same as your phone does when you have the hotspot turned on. It also does have data limits. I can't imagine too many people want to pay an additional data bill for their car to be a hotspot when most phones can already do it.
And how many people are rushing out to buy these new cars just because they can get the 4G service in their car with the apps built in to their on-board hard drives? I'd imagine the vast majority of people are going to wait until they need to replace their car. With the 4G being available in model year 2014 cars (Chevy is just getting it this summer), it's going to be at least 2-3 years until we start seeing this stuff on the roads and maybe even longer until the average consumer has it...remember, a lot of people won't buy new.

And with all the stuff about "don't text and drive" and if you get in a crash, they'll look at phone information, that's enough right there to probably make most people think about changing their app while they're driving. At least in my case, it's much easier to press a preset button on a radio than it is to scroll through the app while driving.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
And as I've mentioned before, I never venture in to any 'dead zones' with 4G. And I've also mentioned that I barely use 2/5 of my data allotment even in the heaviest of usage. Using 4GB with 10GB available. I also seem to remember mentioning that a majority of people who use 4G are also the majority of people who live inside the city limits where 4G is most widely available.

Reading is Fundamental.
Sorry, I'll be sure to go back and ready all 9,000 of your posts before responding next time.

So how does a 4G hotspot built into a car change what people use for entertainment in their car? Maybe for the small percent who don't have a smartphone, but I doubt those people are going to want to pay for a data connection for their car if they don't have a smartphone. The great thing about satellite on road trips is there are no dropouts. You can be in the absolute middle of nowhere and have just as good of a signal as in the middle of a large city. Just because you never leave areas with great cell signals doesn't mean they don't exist.

Satellite has its place just like streaming services through phones do.

Reactions: hyson and HecticArt

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Sorry, I'll be sure to go back and ready all 9,000 of your posts before responding next time.

So how does a 4G hotspot built into a car change what people use for entertainment in their car? Maybe for the small percent who don't have a smartphone, but I doubt those people are going to want to pay for a data connection for their car if they don't have a smartphone. The great thing about satellite on road trips is there are no dropouts. You can be in the absolute middle of nowhere and have just as good of a signal as in the middle of a large city. Just because you never leave areas with great cell signals doesn't mean they don't exist.

Not necessarily, I've been out in the middle of nowhere with no signal. Mostly due to faulty equipment. For me personally, even if I am in the middle of nowhere, a rarity nowadays, there are still caching options through Slacker, Spotify and listening to podcasts downloaded to your device. Still cheaper than satellite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

I agree with you. My dad is a trucker. I pay for his Sirius and it's around $11 a month. He's one of those that has a flip phone only. He doesn't want a smartphone. He doesn't want to pay for a data plan. He is a huge Bubba fan and when he went Internet only dad was done.

So if he went the smartphone data route it would cost him way more than the $11 a month I pay for him. What is it 10 gigs a month shared between a phone and tablet? That has to be over $100 a month even with a discount added on. Plus he would have to go buy a smartphone. So I have no idea how that can be cheaper than Sirius??

Having Sirius is way to convenient and costs way less then paying for a smartphone, data plan and a subscription to Slacker, Pandora. I know its hard to believe but some people don't want a smartphone.

So what is good for one person is not good for another. I'm not a huge fan of Sirius at the moment but it's convenient and my radio's are lifetimed.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Options are good!

I'm well documented on why SXM is a great service as my main option, but I do use slacker from my phone now and again. As for mobile hotspots, I don't personally have a use for it. My phone will get me what I need. From my limited perspective, I see those being better for people that spend their workday behind the wheel.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Options are good!

I'm well documented on why SXM is a great service as my main option, but I do use slacker from my phone now and again. As for mobile hotspots, I don't personally have a use for it. My phone will get me what I need. From my limited perspective, I see those being better for people that spend their workday behind the wheel.
I still enjoy Sirius and all. I have to have it for Howard. I guess I'm just disappointed in all the commercials and plugs on the sports channels.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I still enjoy Sirius and all. I have to have it for Howard. I guess I'm just disappointed in all the commercials and plugs on the sports channels.
The frequent breaks is why sports channels are difficult to listen to even if it's a recording. Lots of us are use to commercial free music and 60-75 minute segments of Howard. The most tolerable DJ inserts are during top 40 countdowns when I get background info pertaining to a song or artist.

Reactions: hyson and Ehilbert1

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Called to cancel my car sub today and realized they already auto renewed me. Before I had a chance to vent my anger the CSR asked why I wanted to cancel and I used my secret weapon. I told her the truth. We use the vehicle two to three times a week and last year I explained it to a CSR and got 50% off. She was happy to oblige my request and I treated he like gold while the system override was processed cutting my 204.88 fee in half.

Not to self: call a day earlier in 2016 and avoid sweating bullets while making nice with an outstanding and understanding CSR.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Cancelled my daughters radio today. She has changed jobs and never has a chance to listen to it. So I asked if she wanted that as her gift again and she said no. They were very good although it turns out it actually renewed tomorrow rather than on the 25th like I thought. Turns out they pro-rate to my billing day on the first year. Also, had to remember when talking to SXM USA that if there is a Z in the id it is Zee not the proper Zed.

Reactions: HecticArt

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
A six months for thirty buck offer is the top banner on the Siruius homepage. Revenue from OEM's and autos must be dipping.