Cancelled a radio today

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I am traveling without satrad this march break. Rental Car has Bluetooth so I decided to skip it. Will miss the countdowns and miss hearing stuff I don't own but I am ok with it.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Last night I got a call from a number that has been calling several times a day. After a google search I realized that it was SiriusXM calling to get me back. Of course now that I am willing to answer the phone they stopped calling. Yesterday their last call was at 8:35pm. That's a bit late for my taste.

I would be less than pleased......

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Is Sirius XM pricing themselves out? Do you think they want to switch to OEM vehicle stereos & internet? :scatch:

I don't pay full price for a sub. The lifetimed sl2 has paid for itself and the $3.50 internet feed is great. But I would not pay $15/mo for one. My car sub they give me for $100ish a year. When they don't I won't have it. It's not just AM/FM anymore as choices.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't think they are pricing themselves out. They are pushing to find the limit for what they can charge. They will be able to lose a percentage of subscribers and still make more money.

I'm sure they want to leverage OEM and internet as much as possible. They are easier and cheaper than producing and selling radios themselves.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I am traveling without satrad this march break. Rental Car has Bluetooth so I decided to skip it. Will miss the countdowns and miss hearing stuff I don't own but I am ok with it.

Wow- I could not even fathom taking a trip without my SXM radio! Half the fun is planning the listening before-hand. We go online and check out all our favorite channels and pick out the specials we want to hear and print them up for the trip. Since we both love music the most, we jam out for a couple of hours, then take a 45 min break for Headline News, Sportcenter and a couple of comedy clips. Nextup, we catch some decade countdowns we have recorded and then enjoy a Live Sporting event or 2. Makes getting there almost as fun as the actual event!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The Bluetooth stereo I had in the Camry rental while my truck was in the shop worked beautifully. Slacker and iTunes showed artist, album and song information, and had controls to skip songs on the steering wheel. When I got in the car with Bluetooth on it connected automatically like it does when it is set to AM/FM.

I LIKED satellite radio back in the day, I thought XM in it's previous incarnation was well worth paying for. Then it became sirius and wasn't even close for me. It also didn't hurt that Slacker was introduced at that time, and Internet Radio started to come into it's own. Plus I acquired my first iPhone which allowed me to listen anywhere. Now I'm playing around with about 10GB for $30 less than what I was paying for 4GB thanks to AT&T's new plans and I won't have to worry about overages since I use about 3-4GB a month. And with on-demand radio services and iTunes match I don't have to worry about filling up a 16GB phone with music.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wow- I could not even fathom taking a trip without my SXM radio! Half the fun is planning the listening before-hand. We go online and check out all our favorite channels and pick out the specials we want to hear and print them up for the trip. Since we both love music the most, we jam out for a couple of hours, then take a 45 min break for Headline News, Sportcenter and a couple of comedy clips. Nextup, we catch some decade countdowns we have recorded and then enjoy a Live Sporting event or 2. Makes getting there almost as fun as the actual event!

This is my first without and I debated it. But I wing it only planning to hit countdowns on 70s & 80s (rest of time random music channels) and I decided that it wasn't worth the wires when car had Bluetooth and worked with my phone so easily.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
The shows on my fav channels draw most of my interest. Weekly countdowns from the past and present, Howard's best of the week on a Fri, Little Steven Sessions and Rotten Tomatoes Radio are just a few of the multitude of interests I can pick from at will.

I understand music only listeners can get their fix via Slacker et al for less per month than Sirius Mostly Music or Select.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The shows on my fav channels draw most of my interest. Weekly countdowns from the past and present, Howard's best of the week on a Fri, Little Steven Sessions and Rotten Tomatoes Radio are just a few of the multitude of interests I can pick from at will.

I understand music only listeners can get their fix via Slacker et al for less per month than Sirius Mostly Music or Select.

I think the whole idea of them paying that kind of money for Howard Stern when there are so many other glaring issues that need to be addressed with the service is what adds insult to injury.

I'm paying about $3.99 a month for Slacker Plus. Quite the bargain considering they're adding stuff on a fairly regular basis, and some of their channels are damn good (Classic Alternative is one I've highlighted in the Spotlight section on several occasions) plus iTunes Radio, which is add free with iTunes Match ($25 a year), it still has some quirks to work out, but it's got a hell of a future, and I'm learning to use the personalization settings to get the stations how I like them to sound.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I think the whole idea of them paying that kind of money for Howard Stern when there are so many other glaring issues that need to be addressed with the service is what adds insult to injury.

I don't see it that way at all. When do you ever hear about Sirius? Seriously? They don't advertise unless you already have the service. The only real publicity they get is from Howard's show. I'm not happy about his schedule and some of the stuff on 101 but let me tell you his interviews are all that. Plus they make the news. Who else on Sirius makes the news. No one. His interviews with Cranston was amazing. He had Metallica in studio playing and interviewed them as a band. No one has been able to do that. Not as a band all together like that. Plus his B Day bash was epic.

I have been critical of the service but for a lot of people Howard is worth it. Who else makes news? Not O&A

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I don't see it that way at all. When do you ever hear about Sirius? Seriously? They don't advertise unless you already have the service. The only real publicity they get is from Howard's show. I'm not happy about his schedule and some of the stuff on 101 but let me tell you his interviews are all that. Plus they make the news. Who else on Sirius makes the news. No one. His interviews with Cranston was amazing. He had Metallica in studio playing and interviewed them as a band. No one has been able to do that. Not as a band all together like that. Plus his B Day bash was epic.

I have been critical of the service but for a lot of people Howard is worth it. Who else makes news? Not O&A

I have never seen Howard Stern featured on the news at any time. Network or Local. Maybe on the East Coast, but that's just it, he's an east coast phenom much like O&A are. There are an entire generation that has no idea who Howard Stern is, other than maybe that guy on AGT.

When he's the only one that gets as little press as they get, that's not saying much for the service. And they're level of "advertising" is one of the glaring issues I speak of.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm talking entertainment news. That's what he is. He is an outstanding entertainer. Unlike O&A who couldn't get a terrestrial radio job again Howard could. They would line up to get him back. What is funny is all the celebs that have the service because of him. When they come on their so damn open and comfortable with him. If I had to pay for the service I would stay because of him.

Howard is the one form of entertainment on the service that gets people talking. A lot of the people I work with have Sirius. The main reason is Stern. Yea the music channels and sports are a bonus but they stay for Stern. I know a lot of people could care less but Stern is their go to guy. Nothing else on the service comes close in my opinion.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm talking entertainment news. That's what he is. He is an outstanding entertainer. Unlike O&A who couldn't get a terrestrial radio job again Howard could. They would line up to get him back. What is funny is all the celebs that have the service because of him. When they come on their so damn open and comfortable with him. If I had to pay for the service I would stay because of him.

Howard is the one form of entertainment on the service that gets people talking. A lot of the people I work with have Sirius. The main reason is Stern. Yea the music channels and sports are a bonus but they stay for Stern. I know a lot of people could care less but Stern is their go to guy. Nothing else on the service comes close in my opinion.

I don't think O&A are that talented either.

Howard Stern is a wacky morning zoo shock jock that got lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't think O&A are that talented either.

Howard Stern is a wacky morning zoo shock jock that got lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stern is no morning zoo. He is far far from it. The guy didn't get lucky. He dominated radio. He went through all kinds of crap and people flocked to him. Going #1 in every market you have ever been in is not lucky. No way no how. No one does interviews like Howard. No one gets celebs to open up. That's not luck. That is talent. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm sure most people that don't listen to the show or haven't really listened feel that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kryptonite

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I listened once and found him kind of boring. And he failed in Canada. But there is no question that he was immensely popular. And without Stern Sirius would have gone belly up and like it or not XM would have followed.

Jon given you were on the XM side and left shortly after the merger, is it safe to say you have never heard Stern on satrad?

Obviously he pulls in enough subscribers for SXM to keep him.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I have never seen Howard Stern featured on the news at any time. Network or Local. Maybe on the East Coast, but that's just it, he's an east coast phenom much like O&A are. There are an entire generation that has no idea who Howard Stern is, other than maybe that guy on AGT.

When he's the only one that gets as little press as they get, that's not saying much for the service. And they're level of "advertising" is one of the glaring issues I speak of.

Gotta say that you're not right on this one. Howard is much more on the public's radar than you realize. He got in the national radio hall of fame recently, he's on Letterman frequently, Fallon, Kimmel, Today, Commedians in Cars, etc. You're not the kind of guy that settles for mainstream media anyway though. Howard drew a LOT of attention to Siruis, and the steady increase in subscriptions and company revenue is very positive for SXM's growth. With all of the things that SXM could/should be doing better, you're just not paying attention if you don't see them out there.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I listened once and found him kind of boring. And he failed in Canada. But there is no question that he was immensely popular. And without Stern Sirius would have gone belly up and like it or not XM would have followed.

Jon given you were on the XM side and left shortly after the merger, is it safe to say you have never heard Stern on satrad?

Obviously he pulls in enough subscribers for SXM to keep him.

It's subjective. What works for some folks, doesn't work for others. It's all good.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Gotta say that you're not right on this one. Howard is much more on the public's radar than you realize. He got in the national radio hall of fame recently, he's on Letterman frequently, Fallon, Kimmel, Today, Commedians in Cars, etc. You're not the kind of guy that settles for mainstream media anyway though. Howard drew a LOT of attention to Siruis, and the steady increase in subscriptions and company revenue is very positive for SXM's growth. With all of the things that SXM could/should be doing better, you're just not paying attention if you don't see them out there.

It doesn't hurt that I wasn't that big into that type of show to begin with, and that the mass influx of these types of shows on terrestrial was what drew me to (and eventually away from, once Stern became big on that format) satellite to begin with. I gave O&A a chance when I subscribed to XM but never could get into it.

Since I didn't feel like paying Stern's salary and with the mere RUMOR of a merger, coupled with the lack of quality content on Sirius compared to XM at the time, and the hatchet job done to my favorite formats, while later finding those same formats on Slacker, that was enough. They're hanging their hat too much on the number of subscriptions brought in. Who's to say that won't be the same number of people that cancels when he retires?

But again it know that this is a satellite based board, whose bread is buttered with the revenues that satellite brings in, and any attempt to interject a dissenting opinion will be shot down, which is fine.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It doesn't hurt that I wasn't that big into that type of show to begin with, and that the mass influx of these types of shows on terrestrial was what drew me to (and eventually away from, once Stern became big on that format) satellite to begin with. I gave O&A a chance when I subscribed to XM but never could get into it.

Since I didn't feel like paying Stern's salary and with the mere RUMOR of a merger, coupled with the lack of quality content on Sirius compared to XM at the time, and the hatchet job done to my favorite formats, while later finding those same formats on Slacker, that was enough. They're hanging their hat too much on the number of subscriptions brought in. Who's to say that won't be the same number of people that cancels when he retires?

But again it know that this is a satellite based board, whose bread is buttered with the revenues that satellite brings in, and any attempt to interject a dissenting opinion will be shot down, which is fine.

Not that at all, Jon.
Personal choice is king. Yours is just as valid as everyone else's. You can't expect to walk into a football stadium, say that football sucks, and not expect people not to respond. My reply was very polite, I cited facts, and credited you for having made your own informed decisions. You are welcome to speak your mind, but it's going to have to be conversational.