Car Talk

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Last time I went to the Toyota place to get my car serviced they came back with a ridiculous sum they wanted to charge me...more than I paid for the car. When I asked them what I need to safely make my Disney trips that bill dropped down to only like $250. This upset me. Coming at me with thousands of dollars just didn't seem right to me so I'm done with Al Hendrickson. It's a shame too. If they had just been more reasonable with their estimates they could have kept me coming back forever. I do like the idea of taking my Toyota to a place just for Toyotas.

A woman at work sings the praises of this place where she goes and loves the owner. It has a silly name but seems to have great reviews across the board. I set up an appointment with them tomorrow. I'm a little under my oil change mileage right now but since I'm back to weekly 400+ mile round trips I thought I should get it looked at sooner than later.

Last time they did my oil they must have messed up the dash light switch cause it came on like 1,500 miles too early. SO I've been living with the oil light on. Then yesterday I notice the RAV feeling a little sluggish. I check the odometer against the sticker and now I was actually 2,000 miles too late. Google says a car can go 5k miles but I really could notice a difference yesterday. Got an oil change this morning and the car now feels fine. I was worried I did damage to it but my guy Tom said all I needed was an oil change.

It is so very nice to have an honest mechanic. I've been going to this guy for a year or so now and all I've ever needed was an oil change. And I give him an in too. I tell him that I make long drives and to check the car to make sure it's cool with that. He could easily come back with like a $200 bill every time and I'd likely pay it.

Hell, I know I would pay it. Look back through this thread. When I was dumb enough to take it to the Toyota place they always came back with like $200, $400, $500 type bills. The whole reason I left them is cause one time they wanted like $2k. I know it was dumb to go there in the first place but this is the first car that I really care about and I thought it was best to put Toyota parts in my Toyota. I'm a dummy.

Tom is the best. Like I said, it's a godsend to have an honest mechanic.
Honest Mechanic to the rescue again!

My check engine light came on about 10 days ago and I finally got it checked out today. They ran that diagnostic tool thing and told me that all it showed was a small vacuum leak that they probably couldn't even find if they went looking for it. He reset the light and told me I had nothing to worry about even with frequent Disney trips. He said if it comes on again to come back to the shop.

The whole thing took like 5 mins and cost $0.00.

Mad Hatter Muffler and Tire is the best shop!

Today was my 4th visit to my awesome mechanic Tom in 1 year and 5 days (see above). Today was also the first time I took it in for an oil change and he told me I needed more than that. So I got a belt, some filter, oil change and new wipers. The total was $158 so not awful.

Three times taking it in for only $40 was more than enough to build a big trust in this guy. I told him the same thing I do every time, that I go to Orlando multiple times per month. He said if that wasn't the case the stuff would probably be fine until the next oil change but to be safe I may as well get it done now. I'm happy to do it. It's much easier to deal with a breakdown while I'm local as opposed to 200 some odd miles away from home.

They have windows in the waiting room so I can watch them working on the RAV and I dig it. Not like I have any idea what they're doing, but it's cool.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Did my normal, weekly wash & vacuum today but added the hour long step of headlight restoration. For about $17 on Amazon I get one of those kits every year or maybe 10 months and sand down then lube up my headlights. It does a pretty good job of clarifying them and they stay that way for, like I said, about 10 months or so.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Did my normal wash/vacuum today but added the hour long step of headlight restoration. For about $17 on Amazon I get one of those kits every year or maybe 10 months and sand down then lube up my headlights. It does a pretty good job of clarifying them and it stays that way for, like I said, about 10 months or so.
I have never done this on any car I have ever owned. What is the benefit?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I have never done this on any car I have ever owned. What is the benefit?

You know how you see older cars with the headlights all fogged over? This gets rid of the fog and makes the casing clear again. And if you do it as often as I do it never really gets all that bad.

This isn't my car (maybe I'll post my pics later) but like this:

1598210769293.png

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You know how you see older cars with the headlights all fogged over? This gets rid of the fog and makes the casing clear again. And if you do it as often as I do it never really gets all that bad.
I have not seen that the fogging has any effect on the light or the ability to see. I just make sure they are washed.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I have not seen that the fogging has any effect on the light or the ability to see. I just make sure they are washed.

I think the brightness of the light is diminished due to the fogging but the real reason I do it is because I think they look bad when they get foggy. It's much nicer to see my car with clear light casings.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
My daughter had that done on her VW golf when it was 10 years old. The haze definitely reduces the brightness of the headlights. My car must use a better grade of lens material; after 9 years, I can still remove any hazy buildup with Windex.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So this is embarrassing seeing how I'm nearly 37 but I had to renew my registration and that's just something I've never done before. Last time was in 2018 and Hendrik took care of it for me. Turns out it's incredibly easy to do online. $75 for two years. I'm now good until 12.2022. And it only took 3 days for it to arrive in the mail.