Car Talk

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Even though the circumstances surrounding it sucked, getting a new car is always awesome! Really cool you were able to find what you wanted despite its rarity.

Was the last one also a hard top convertible? To me, those are way cooler than the soft tops.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The one I had was a regular softtop convertible. It was a 1-series, specifically a 128, which represents 1-series with 2.8 liter engine (even though it's actually 3 liters, but that's a whole other thing). In 2011, I ordered it new.

The car I just got is a 328 (3-series, 2.8 liter), with a hardtop. Back in 2011, it went for about 15 grand more than the 128 I bought, which put it way out of my league.

The hardtop is nice, especially in the winter, and it won't rip, puncture, or crease like a softtop. The downsides are that when down, it uses up most of the trunk, and the entire trunk lid opens, so the body needs reinforcement, adding weight. Also, it can take more time to go up and down, although this one takes only 22 seconds. But nowadays, most convertibles are hardtops.

Reactions: JHDK

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Don't laugh too hard, but I picked up a Buick lacrosse last week. I was looking for a new car, or a used new car. I drove Lexus, Acura, Infinity, Cadillacs (I used to drive cadillacs and porsche's back in the day. But this 2013 had 13,000 miles on it. And it had sirius, a good sound system, nice wheels and comfy interior. I'm getting the windows tinted later today.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Don't laugh too hard, but I picked up a Buick lacrosse last week. I was looking for a new car, or a used new car. I drove Lexus, Acura, Infinity, Cadillacs (I used to drive cadillacs and porsche's back in the day. But this 2013 had 13,000 miles on it. And it had sirius, a good sound system, nice wheels and comfy interior. I'm getting the windows tinted later today.

Nothing wrong with a Buick. Congrats on the new ride, enjoy it man.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I am boring. Since 1988, I have only had 3 “everyday“ driving vehicles.
November 1988: owned a 1987 Nissan truck until December 2000. (146,000 miles when sold)
December 2000: Bought a brand new Nissan Frontier. I owned it until July 2019. I sold it with 385,000 miles. It blew a head gasket.
Earlier in 2019 (April), I bought a 2008 Honda Ridgeline with 104,000 miles. I hope to own it for at least 10 years.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Earlier in 2019 (April), I bought a 2008 Honda Ridgeline with 104,000 miles. I hope to own it for at least 10 years.

I got my 2005 RAV4 in October of 18 I think (I'd have to check the title or my previous posts here) with 85k on it. It now has 116 thanks to all my Disney trips. I hope to keep it until at least December 2023, when I turn 40. We'll see what happens, but out of all the cars I've owned I definitely take the best care of this one.

EDIT:

CAR TALK TIME!!!

I'm pretty sure I have a new car now! A 2005 Toyota RAV4 S with 87k on it. I haven't paid for it yet but my dad got to talking with one of the old (meme)bags he plays Bridge with and she said she just got her car appraised to sell. He went and took a look at it and told her he would buy it. He left me a message while I was at work saying he bought me a car. It was very sweet. The woman gave dad all the paperwork including the registration. I'm not sure if she gave him the title though. Either way it looks like this time it won't be sold out from under me like that old dickhead did with his Lexus. I of course will be paying for it and it's the exact dollar amount I had budgeted. Now it will be a little more than I have budgeted because I put a few hundo into van repairs and that came from my OG new car budget. But that's fine. I sure am glad I didn't spend the 1.8 to get the van a/c fixed yet.

It's in really good shape. The only issues are the one side-view mirror is slightly broken (but it's kinda hard to even tell) and the wheels have a bit of rust. Besides that it's really nice. I'm very happy.

Here are a few blurry pics I took after work tonight and the Carmax appraisal letter (which is the price I will be paying) that the seller got a few days ago:

I assume if Carmax will give her 4k for it they would sell it for a bunch more. KBB says in a private seller/buyer deal it's worth somewhere between 4.6 and 6.4.

I was almost right. I did get in in October 18 but it had 87k on it, not 85.

Last edited:
Reactions: goreds2

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I sold it with 385,000 miles.
I find this interesting for 2 reasons:
1) That's impressive mileage;
2) Someone was willing to buy a truck with almost 400k miles.

Clearly, you've picked vehicles that go for a long time, and work for you. Nothing wrong with that. Sadly, I was about to hit 10 years with my last car, and I planned to just keep it going. I wanted to see what I could get out of it.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Man, you take care of your cars.

Yea, right? He knows how to keep a car. I've been hoping to keep mine running until around the 200 mark. goreds is my new role model.

I recently checked the price of my car these days after seeing a bunch of those carvana ads. It made me happy to see that the same year/model RAVs with more mileage than mine has now still go for more than what I paid for it in 2018.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Nice, the after 3 month freebie is a 6 month deal for 30 bucks. Select package with stern. Looks like their pushing howard onto the select then get you into the all access.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I find this interesting for 2 reasons:
1) That's impressive mileage;
2) Someone was willing to buy a truck with almost 400k miles.

Clearly, you've picked vehicles that go for a long time, and work for you. Nothing wrong with that. Sadly, I was about to hit 10 years with my last car, and I planned to just keep it going. I wanted to see what I could get out of it.
The key to my trucks was that I have a garage and made sure the oil was changed regularly. Those were the key as I rarely did any preventative maintenance on them as you all know mechanics try to sell you on. Your results may vary.

My 2001 Nissan with 385,000 miles And blown head gasket was sold to an older gentleman who had access to get a new engine etc. it still looks good as it was garaged it’s whole life. I got $1800 out of it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I actually managed to get my punk-ass out of bed this morning and am getting my oil changed right now.
That should get me through the winter since I don't drive that may miles these days.

Reactions: JHDK and goreds2