Car Talk

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
You can drop $300k on a Land Rover. The kind of person who buys a Bentley instead may just be tired of Land Rovers.
You're kind-of bending the truth to fit your narrative. There is one particular (and rare) configuration of the Range Rover that starts at over $200k, and when fully optioned goes for $270k. However, most of the models and configurations go for around $100k including options. The Bentley starts at $200k.

I do agree that a person who buys the Bentley is tired of driving (and seeing) Range Rovers.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You're kind-of bending the truth to fit your narrative. There is one particular (and rare) configuration of the Range Rover that starts at over $200k, and when fully optioned goes for $270k. However, most of the models and configurations go for around $100k including options. The Bentley starts at $200k.

I do agree that a person who buys the Bentley is tired of driving (and seeing) Range Rovers.
Then I guess my narrative is "I don't know why you're asking the question". Someone has a bunch of money and wants an SUV, so they bought the Bentley SUV. Why are you asking the question? Or is it rhetorical, and you are trying to say they shouldn't have that much money, or they shouldn't buy an SUV, or they shouldn't buy a Bentley SUV?

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
This is exactly my point. He's loaded, so he has a variety of vehicles, including a "traditional" Rolls Royce sedan. But when he needs an SUV, he has a GMC Yukon. He doesn't say "I need to combine the capabilities of an SUV and a high-end luxury/performance car into 1 vehicle". That's why the Bentley SUV seems so bizarre to me.
I don’t know what type of RR he owns. But it looks something like the black badge? I’ll try and take some pics of the toys he drives.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Then I guess my narrative is "I don't know why you're asking the question". Someone has a bunch of money and wants an SUV, so they bought the Bentley SUV. Why are you asking the question? Or is it rhetorical, and you are trying to say they shouldn't have that much money, or they shouldn't buy an SUV, or they shouldn't buy a Bentley SUV?
Once again, you're either missing my point, or pretending to miss my point for the sake of spinning-up the vortex. The idea of a Bentley SUV is very odd, and if you don't understand why, then I don't know what to say. An SUV is an odd thing for an ultra-luxury manufacturer to make. And it also seems odd to me, that a potential customer wouldn't just buy a regular Bentley and an SUV (like a Range Rover).

But if you don't find it odd, and feel annoyed by my post (as you seem to be), then feel free to ignore it.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I always thought Porche SUVs were peculiar. Not to say there isn't some weird niche market for them.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
I see Scotch point, but it's the customer's type or preference. I drive a Buick SUV, I know it's not ultra-luxury. But it feels luxury to me.

I have seen ultra-luxury SUV's around town like Porche, Maserati, Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW. I don't know if you would consider Telsa ultra-luxury, but there SUV does look pretty sweet.

I personally would never own one, but I wouldn't mind test driving them for fun. My kind of SUV's are Dodge, Ford, Chevy, etc.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Once again, you're either missing my point, or pretending to miss my point for the sake of spinning-up the vortex. The idea of a Bentley SUV is very odd, and if you don't understand why, then I don't know what to say. An SUV is an odd thing for an ultra-luxury manufacturer to make. And it also seems odd to me, that a potential customer wouldn't just buy a regular Bentley and an SUV (like a Range Rover).

But if you don't find it odd, and feel annoyed by my post (as you seem to be), then feel free to ignore it.
I always thought Porche SUVs were peculiar. Not to say there isn't some weird niche market for them.
I see Porsche Cayennes every day. Maybe I just drive through boojier hoods?

SUVs and CUVs have replaced sedans in every segment of the auto market. The idea of a luxury SUV seems (to me) no more odd than the idea of a luxury sedan. Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Alfa, Maserati - all of them sell luxury SUVs. Bugatti and McLaren stand out as the only supercar brands that have announced they refuse to sell them. Bentley seems like a perfect brand for an SUV.

SUV just means "tall sedan" now. There is no implication that it could actually climb rocks.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
That's the problem. These guys who buy 40,000 Jeeps, upgrade them, and off-road with them seem absolutely nuts to me.

I'd buy a POS Isuzu Trooper and give 'er hell.

There is no implication that it could actually climb rocks.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

It's just a fashion statement.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
That's the problem. These guys who buy 40,000 Jeeps, upgrade them, and off-road with them seem absolutely nuts to me.

I'd buy a POS Isuzu Trooper and give 'er hell.
If they bought that $40k Jeep with a 7 year note, yeah. If they had $40k sitting around getting dusty then a $40k Jeep is probably better off road than any other option.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I started this thread while i was sitting at al hendrikson toyota and here i am again. Time for an oil change and who knows what else. Im prepared to pay $600 max, hopefully it wont be more than that. I love my rav and have to keep her happy.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Been eye-balling new Chevy vehicles. The Equinox with the 4 cylinder 1.5l turbo diesel looks interesting.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I started this thread while i was sitting at al hendrikson toyota and here i am again. Time for an oil change and who knows what else. Im prepared to pay $600 max, hopefully it wont be more than that. I love my rav and have to keep her happy.
Keep us updated.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Turned out to be better than I expected, still not great but my $30 oil change only wound up costing $335. So about half of the max I was willing to go. I can be happy with that.