Car Talk

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Was the whole system shot or did it just need a recharge?

Sold the old man's car yesterday. He had been asking me to do it for awhile now. With only 53k miles it still has a lot of life in it for a 03 van but the lack of a/c really drove down the price. KBB says in perfect condition it was worth max 1.4k, however the serious quality of life issues it has meant we let it go for $600.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Back with my boy al hendrickson. Gotta keep up with the maintenance if I'm gonna drive to Disney every week. So far it's just an oil change, $35...but that won't last. I like bringing cash to pay for this so i currently have $700 in my pocket. If i can keep it below $400 I'll be happy enough.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just got my 100,000 mile tune up.
All the filters, plugs, coolant system stuff, and some other stuff.
There was a recall for my gas tank releaf valve, or something like that.
$600 for the whole deal. It runs smoother, and I, probably getting 4 more mpg.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'll hit or be just under the 100k mark if i decide to go to Disney today after the work is done.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
They came back with a bunch of stuff as always that would be more than $700 but i asked the same thing i do every time, "what do i absolutely need to be able to drive to Orlando and back every week?" And the guy told me a battery and oil change...so that's what I'm getting. Looks like I'll get out of here for around $200. Not bad.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's an odd typo. I just noticed it as I was rereading the thread, but before I got to your post.
I'll leave it as is to honor him.

We miss ya little buddy!

(Check for typos, re-check......and........post.)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They came back with a bunch of stuff as always that would be more than $700 but i asked the same thing i do every time, "what do i absolutely need to be able to drive to Orlando and back every week?" And the guy told me a battery and oil change...so that's what I'm getting. Looks like I'll get out of here for around $200. Not bad.
You don't want your battery oil getting low in hot weather. No sir.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Remember when I said it was summer down here? Well SFL summer means thunderstorms every day and today was no exception. On the way home from Disney the bugs weren't nearly as bad but it poured for more than half the trip. Good way to wash all the disgusting guts off my car. Usually storms are fast moving and never last long but I was following the storm as I went south. Visibility was really low at some points and it was the first time I was truly happy to have a 4WD car. Made me feel a little safer and more confident driving home.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Oh boy, i just dtove to work and when I got in there car there was this awful stench. I thought it was my trash from yesterday but nothing there was gross. Then i realized it was the towl filled with lovebug corpses i left on the trunk after cleanin my windshield on the way to Disney. It had a whole day to bake in a hot car and it's rank. Ill throw it away now and leave my windows cracked. Hopefully the stench is gone by the time i finish work at 11.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Oh boy, i just dtove to work and when I got in there car there was this awful stench. I thought it was my trash from yesterday but nothing there was gross. Then i realized it was the towl filled with lovebug corpses i left on the trunk after cleanin my windshield on the way to Disney. It had a whole day to bake in a hot car and it's rank. Ill throw it away now and leave my windows cracked. Hopefully the stench is gone by the time i finish work at 11.
One summer during my college days, we planned to bike from North Jersey down to the Jersey shore, to start a week's vacation. A friend and I rode bikes, while another friend drove a car with all our stuff.

It didn't go well. When we headed out, it was one of the hottest days on record, and the humidity was brutal. A piece of my gear-shift broke, and I got 1 and then 2 flat tires. I had to bail before the finish; we got picked-up by our friend in the car. I must have sweated-off about 10 lbs. When we got to the cottage, we threw our soaked clothes into a plastic bag.

That was Saturday.

On Wednesday, we were struck by an overwhelming stench. It was the bag of clothes, which had been generating new forms of bacteria during its 5 days of hot incubation. When we brought the bag to a laundromat, we waited until there was a clear path, to bring the bag from the car directly into a washing machine, so that we wouldn't get thrown out of there. We were dumb kids.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK